Stuck in a Moment of Collective Elation

RewindMy buddy and slo-pitch teammate Kic put up a Facebook profile pic that took me back to the moment before it all changed. It's a moment we Toronto sports fans are still stuck in, a moment of collective elation that will likely never be topped.

Before I continue, here's the pic of that moment.

Joe

I shouldn't have to tell you what happened next. My Toronto Blue Jays led the series 3 games to 2, but trailed in the game 6-5. With Mitch Williams on the mound for the Philadelphia Phillies and Ricky Henderson and Paul Molitor on base, Joe Carter hit a 2-2 pitch over the left field wall at SkyDome to give the Blue Jays their second World Series in a row.

That moment was so extraordinary for this life-long Jays fan, I can't accurately put into words how it felt when that ball cleared the left field fence. It's our moment, a moment we share, a moment we're stuck in.

Heck, things are so shitty in Toronto sports right now, we should be glad we had a moment. Let's hear that call one more time and forget it's the middle of winter, neither the Leafs nor Raptors will make the playoffs and next season is already over for our Blue Jays.

felix

A moment I'll never forget to be sure. I can vividly recall leaping out of my chair as the ball cleared the fence.

Sadly, that was over 15 years ago now. Sigh.

December 29, 2008 @ 1:51 AM

Horonymous

I was on the field seconds after Carter hit the homer that clinched the World Series for the Jays. As a TV news cameraman we were waiting to do post game in the locker room not expecting the Jays to win it all that night

December 29, 2008 @ 10:23 AM

Megan

Best moment ever!! Still gives me chills and brings the tears of joy. I have not lost the faith that they'll do it again one of these days!

December 29, 2008 @ 11:13 AM

elvis

"Touch 'em all Joe..."

December 29, 2008 @ 2:18 PM

VegasGeoff

I was on Yonge St across from HMV, watching it on the old TV screens they used to have on the store front. When Joe hit that pitch, it was sheer pandemonium.

We had parked our car at Yonge and Finch that night, and for reason I don't remember, we decided to try to walk back, all the way up Yonge St. We made it to Eglinton before we finally caught a cab, our hands red and numb from all the high-fiving we did with strangers along the way. As Mike said, that was our moment, shared with everyone.

Hearing the call never fails to give me goosebumps, and tears well up in my eyes. Thanks, Mike.

December 29, 2008 @ 8:04 PM