DJ Earworm put together a video for what he called "United State of Pop 2008 (Viva La Pop)". It's a very slick mashup of the Top 25 Hits of 2008, according to Billboard.
There's lots of the typical R&B pop in there, Coldplay aside, with one glaring exception. Here's the top 25 tunes in the video below... see if you can spot the sore thumb.
- Flo Rida Featuring T-Pain - Low
- Leona Lewis - Bleeding Love
- Alicia Keys - No One
- Lil Wayne Featuring Static Major - Lollipop
- Timbaland Featuring OneRepublic - Apologize
- Jordin Sparks Duet With Chris Brown - No Air
- Sara Bareilles - Love Song
- Usher Featuring Young Jeezy - Love in This Club
- Chris Brown - With You
- Chris Brown - Forever
- Ray J & Yung Berg - Sexy Can I
- Rihanna - Take a Bow
- Coldplay - Viva La Vida
- Katy Perry - I Kissed a Girl
- T.I. - Whatever You Like
- Rihanna - Disturbia
- Rihanna - Don't Stop the Music
- Natasha Bedingfield - Pocketful of Sunshine
- Chris Brown Featuring T-Pain - Kiss Kiss
- Ne-Yo - Closer
- Colbie Caillat - Bubbly
- Mariah Carey - Touch My Body
- Madonna Featuring Justin Timberlake - 4 Minutes
- Pink - So What
- Finger Eleven - Paralyzer
Did you spot 'em there at the very end? Burlington, Ontario's Rainbow Butt Monkeys are right there with Rihanna, T.I. and Chris Brown. Rainbow Butt Monkeys, of course, became Finger Eleven and I remember rocking out to "Above" and "First Time" back in '99 and 2000.
About five years ago I heard from Finger Eleven's lead singer, Scott Anderson when our SLS site started ranking number one for their breakthrough single "One Thing". Here's what Scott Anderson had to say back in January 2004.
Rick told me I should have a read of this page.
First, thanks for taking such an interest in this song.
Second, Dans Post from November 30th hit the nail on the head. I met a girl in High School in Burlington ON. Rather then come forward with my feelings at the time I put it off. Rather than face the proverbial "one thing" I stalled, not afraid of rejection par se, but instead scared of the thought of not being able to have this person next to me. I won't get too deep just know that this is what the song means.
Third, the problem with writing music is that you always know the meaning and don't necessarily realize that the fans will have a difficult time grasping it.
Thanks for those of you that like our music! Keep listening!
Now they have one of the top US hits of 2008. Here's DJ Earworm's mashup that inspired this entry.