Everything's Amazing, Nobody's Happy

Exclamation MarkTwenty years ago, most of my music was on cassette tapes. When I wanted to take my music with me, I'd actually put the tape in a dual cassette deck boombox, cue it up, place a cued up blank cassette in the other deck and simultaneously press play and record. Then, when my song was finished, I'd pause the blank tape and cue up another song in the other deck. It was a lengthy procedure, and the end result was maybe 60 minutes of music I could throw in my Walkman. I then had to listen to the music in the order I put them, because fast-forwarding was such a pain in the ass.

Today we have it awesome. I've got hundreds and hundreds of complete albums digitized and one click away. I can throw together playlists in seconds, play them in whatever order I want, or shuffle 'em. I can jump around the song, see the album cover and I can have thousands of songs on a device a great deal smaller than my Walkman ever was. It's amazing.

I can share similar tales about phones, the Internet, email, television and banking. Everything is amazing, but nobody's happy. The more we have, the more we want. The quicker we get it, the more demanding we become.

Louis CK says it below, way better than I ever could.

Fredericton Steve

Very Good. I love Louis CK. Bring back Lucky Louie!!

December 15, 2008 @ 8:32 PM

Toronto Mike

I enjoyed Lucky Louie too... that Jim Norton was brilliantly disgusting.

December 15, 2008 @ 8:34 PM

Jill

So true!!! The more we have, the more we want and the more we become disconnected from each other and we are losing very natural, human, instinctive and interpersonal skills. Soon face to face chats will be a thing of the past and it sickens me already how text lingo is now a part of everyday conversation.
I have a cell phone that I use only for emergency and that is when I remember to carry it. I don't know how to text message and have no desire to learn. My husband bought me a 120 GB Ipod when they first came out and found it was way more than I needed. I now own a 2GB Shuffle and it is perfect as I much prefer the old fashioned way of listening to my tunes.....vinyl. My 11 year old daughter asks me daily if she can sign up to IM her friends and I tell her no while explaining to her that it is important for her to be able to maintain and sustain friendships in person before she learns how to manage relationships and friends online.
Keeping life simple makes things so much easier and happy to manage.

December 15, 2008 @ 9:57 PM

James Edgar

That was great. I remember those simple times. I don't want them back but there is something to be said for simple. And the whole "the world owes me" thing is tiresome and "BULLSHIT!"

December 16, 2008 @ 8:30 AM

elvis

This blog needs to be updated more.

December 16, 2008 @ 2:41 PM

felix

It's true, though. The more you get, the more you want. But the incredible advances we've seen in technology is stunning. I'm in my early 30s and I remember the rotary/pulse dial phone and the old-school credit card imprinter Louis was talking about... Amazing.

December 16, 2008 @ 4:32 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

..until your iPOd 'breaks' and you visit the Apple store. Something I might write more about this week on my blog. It's not that I mind replacing it, it's that the customer service sucked and iPods are cheaper at The Source than at the Apple store.

I filled out a customer satisfaction survey and am waiting to see if they really call me.

I was going to purchase 2 iPods at their store over Christmas. Not anymore.

Incredible advances... well... sometimes I'd love to go back to vinyl and cassettes.

December 16, 2008 @ 7:03 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I don't know if anyone will care, but I filled that survey out tonight, and Apple has already tried calling me back. Considering the harsh words above, I thought it was only fair to update. Stay tuned.

December 16, 2008 @ 7:32 PM