Even the Red-Headed Step-Child Can Be Loved

NHLThe big hockey story around here today is the leak to the Globe and Mail that some NHL governors would like to see a second NHL team in Toronto. Of course, Research in Motion CEO Jim Balsillie's name is getting tossed into the mix and there's chatter about moving a flailing franchise to Southern Ontario, a road we've been down before.

I think a second franchise in this market would thrive. There are more puck heads here than any other pocket of the Earth. Hell, we could probably support a couple more teams. The new team in this market would, however, be our red-headed step-child.

By that I mean the Leafs would always be glorified and beloved on a plateau the new team would never reach. There's too much history with the Leafs, too many of us have grown up enamoured by those uniforms and loyal to a fault. The new team would be loved, but the Leafs would be the local darlings.

That's not so bad. Even a red-headed step-child can be loved.

elvis

I'm not sure it would work that way.

I would cheer against another team in Toronto and I would suspect you'd have a split fan base like in Quebec, New York, Chicago, LA, Texas etc...

That being said, two teams could survive here, yes.

October 21, 2008 @ 1:45 PM

Buffalo Boy Mike

It would be death to Buffalo though, we depend on southern Ontario as part of our market, that part may go to that other team.
I would rather have Basille keep the team he buys in the market he buys it in and make it work.

October 21, 2008 @ 4:21 PM

Fredericton Steve

I think the team may take away from some of the GTA market, I don't imagine the national market would be largely affected. I choose to be a Leaf fan not because I live in the city but for the love of the team.

October 21, 2008 @ 4:24 PM

James Edgar

It's anice idea but boy has it been blown out of proprtion. Not in your lifetime Mike . Maybe your sons. Not the the city couldn't support a second team it could it just makes too much sense for the garden gnome to get behind it. Expansion to vegas is more likely.

October 21, 2008 @ 5:56 PM

James Edgar

Man my typing sucks :(

October 21, 2008 @ 5:57 PM

Toronto Forum

I think a second team for Toronto is a great idea.
The Leafs obviously don't feel like they need to put a Stanley Cup contender on the ice. They haven't won one in over 40 years. A second Toronto team might mean some more cups for the city and light the fire under the butts over at the Leafs organization to put more effort into winning a cup than filling seats.
It's ridiculous! Ticket prices are outrageous and they haven't won a cup in my lifetime!

October 23, 2008 @ 10:20 AM