Four years ago today, I threw together a little sports wishlist. There were five items on my wishlist, and here they are. We'll revisit the five again after the flashback.
The following are my current sports wishes in no particular order.
- I wish Vince Carter would stop being such a suck. He just signed a long-term, big-money contract to play in this city and now he wants to be traded. I wish he'd rescind that request, play his ass off, stay healthy and lead us back to the playoffs.
- I wish the Blue Jays could afford to re-sign Carlos Delgado. He's an awesome player, a great person and a our biggest offensive threat. I'd love to see the Jays keep him.
- I wish the Buffalo Bills were a better football team. Drew Bledsoe is awfully disappointing and these 13-10 losses are hard to watch. It's going to be a long season.
- I wish the NHL season would resume. James had a great time wearing his hockey jersey and chanting Ca-na-da! Ca-na-da! during the World Cup. I think he'd really enjoy watching Leaf games with Daddy this season. It's a damn shame these millionaires can't figure this out for the fans. Without us fans, they're playing nothing more than a game of shinny on a pond.
- I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
A lot happens in four years.
- The Vince Carter era ended a couple of months later. We had a lot of history together. Luckily, he'll never win a thing. FUVC!
- Carlos left. He's never really been replaced. In Travis Snider we hope and trust.
- Over the past four years, I started liking football less and less. The militaristic style with interchangeable parts stopped appealing to me. Today, I don't read past the headlines and I haven't yet watched a minute of action, NFL or CFL.
- We got our hopes up in February of 2005 and the NHL season eventually started up again on July 21, 2005. We're still waiting to enjoy another Leafs playoff game, and it seems we'll be waiting a while.
- This was a lyric from a Pearl Jam song I dug. I still dig it.