Major Hoople's Boarding House's Gail Selkirk

PhoneI recently shared the list of early Canadian rock songs that made up volume two of a homemade mix of such songs from the 1960s and 1970s. On that mix is "I'm Running After You" by Major Hoople's Boarding House.

Admittedly, I don't know much about Major Hoople's Boarding House. This canoe.ca page has a bio of the Cambridge band.

In November 1967 they received permission from the makers of the Major Hoople comic strip to use the name and became Major Hoople's Boarding House. In 1968 they added female keyboardist and vocalist Gail Selkirk. They worked the southern Ontario bar circuit from Kitchener to Kingston which helped solidify their first label signing to MUCH Records in 1970 where they released the non-charting "Lady" single.

Wasn't I surprised to get a voice mail today from that very same Gail Selkirk. You can hear Gail's message for me below.

Todd

Gail has a unique voice, did she sing back up?

June 11, 2008 @ 8:07 PM

Bob Weight

I remember MH'sBH playing a couple of times at Loyalist College about that time, early 70s. I particularly remember when they played for the end of the year dance, and had a show set where they asked everyone to stop dancing and just listen. They did lots of old favourites such as Telestar, and did all the old show set stuff like the musicians including the sax players and guitarists moving in unison from side-t-side swinging their instruments as they played. A great band to watch as well as one to hear.

June 28, 2008 @ 11:50 PM

Brian

Hello...Just to let you know...there is a new incarnation of Major Hooples Boarding House.
The band is called "The Fossils" and includes original Hooples members Peter (Moss) Beacock and Keith Stahlbaum, as well as former Gaslight lead guitarist Brian Tozer. The band plays much of the original material from Hooples...including "I'm Running After You".
There is more info on our myspace site....

Thanks!

July 9, 2008 @ 3:48 PM

Goods

Is Keith holding in his gut in the fossils picture?

August 28, 2008 @ 6:36 PM

Pink Floyd..

December 27, 2008 @ 10:41 PM

willy

played with Minglewood band,
Jody Linscott..(Elton John)
flying private jets from
Miami to puerto plata dominican
republic

December 27, 2008 @ 10:52 PM

Frieda

I remember hearing your songs on the radio in the '70's. then in the late '7o's. I was fortunate enough to meet Dave Lodge at a local bar in Kitchener, where he Deejayed on the side. He learned that I sang and had me come to his home in Kitchener. I met his wife and then young son. He helped me along and encouraged me and introduced me to a band starting out in Cambridge. Though that changed for me a couple of years later. I never forgot him. He was a kind man who loved his family and of course music. I sadly found out about his passing from a mutual lawyer friend of ours. When he was moonlighting as a d.j.the closing song was always "I'm running after you". That's how you knew the night was over. Never forgotten, Fondly remembered and missed.

February 14, 2009 @ 4:06 AM

Frieda

February 14, 2009 @ 4:07 AM

Virgil Scott

I'm recording a series of interviews for radio of 60s and 70s Canadian artists. If someone knows how to get intouch with anyone from Major Hoople please email me asap. I have 37 interviews complete but looking for many more. Thx in advance . Virgil

April 12, 2009 @ 11:31 AM

Steve

I heard "I'm Running After You" for the first time in the late summer of 1975 and was totally blown away by it.

I was twelve years old at the time, and what pulled me in was that it sounded like a Beach Boys song and had a great melody besides.

Even today I find the song haunts me just as much as it did when I first heard it. Maybe that's because of the deep sense of longing and Sixties nostalgia it seems to convey.

It's a shame the song didn't get wider airplay, because it's really well put together, gumball lyrics aside.

October 9, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

charles

My favorite of theirs was the single "You Girl". Did you know that David Lodge wrote the song "Savin' Myself" which was a big hit for Eria Fachin? It was a dance tune in the mid eighties.

October 27, 2009 @ 5:40 PM

Tony L.

Major Hoople's Boarding House did a favourite of mine "Red Rubber Ball" when they played at our local Dance Hall called Don's in Aylmer, Quebec. It was a pool hall that doubled as a dance hall on the weekend. I seem to recall it was a New Year's Eve dance or very close to that time when I heard them. This was way back in the early 70s. The lead singer was a good looking Blonde which now I can put a name to. Fond memories!!!

October 30, 2009 @ 3:02 PM

jimmy

I googled the song and it brought me here .. I was 20 years old in '75 and it grabbed me then and still does today. I'm Running After You has all the ingredients of a number one hit and then some... it has always been a favorite of mine, the lyrics completely blow me away - JUST LISTEN TO THEM ! If that doesn't capture the feeling of being in love...well you just ain't been there yet ! And then there's the melody and the tempo that tie it all together, it's an 11 out of 10 in my books! 'How was I supposed to know' i would still be in love with this song LOL.:-)

December 8, 2009 @ 11:20 PM

fred nkerr

i played with a 50's and 60's band called jive ducktail and the dukes and we had the same management as hooples and we ended up recording a song of david lodges called gonna find myself a new love,,,,got terrific airplay

May 11, 2010 @ 2:34 PM

fred nkerr

May 11, 2010 @ 2:35 PM

john

This band rocked the Belgian Club in Delhi for many years. Anyone remember when they divided the crowd down the middle to see if A or B side could yell the loudest? Great early 70's memories.

July 16, 2010 @ 1:34 PM

Brian

Hey...Hooples are on the road again and will be BACK at the Delhi Belgian Club in Feb 2011...check out www.majorhooples.net for more details!!
And YES, we still do right side/left side!

November 24, 2010 @ 1:16 PM

Dan

David Lodge used to live in Wiarton & performed on the dock in Bluewater Park there. A good friend of mine (and fellow music-afficianado) Bob Jones relayed this to me. He lived in Wiarton at the time - early 70's.

February 27, 2011 @ 7:39 PM

John Sattler

Played with Dave in high school in Wiarton early 60's. We had a band called the "Rocking Regents" influenced greatly by the advent of the Beatles. He was an excellent vocalist and bass player even at 15, 16. He idolized his brother John who died suddenly from a brain hemorage early in life and so Dave followed in his footsteps. Never forgot him or any of the other members of the group. The partnership we had through high school was very close. We did everything together until school ended then we went our separate ways. Kept in touch though, Harry lives in Canmore Alberta, Wayne in Cambridge, Ontario and I in Huntsville Ontario. Music has always been a part of my life even though I haven't played out since 1984. Best of friends always. Reminds of the movie "Stand by Me". Unfortunately never heard Dave play with MH'sBH Even though I was playing in Kitchener at the time with Die Musik Meister.

March 15, 2011 @ 7:25 PM

Jeremy Riddell

I'm a son-of-a-Hoople, with a very different take from truly 'original' members of the band who claim the newly reincarnated act contains nothing more than 'sidemen' for Pete and Rocky, the driving force in the Hooples behind the late Dave Lodge. and some of the timelines on the 'replacements' according to major hooples . net website are completely misleading. You want an interview with a Hoople, find Pete, Rocky, Gail or Rick Riddell through Facebook!

June 28, 2011 @ 4:30 PM

Gail Selkirk

Hi Toronto Mike,
Rocky, Peter and Gail, the original members of Major Hoople's Boarding House are reuniting. We will play 2 concerts at the Registry Theatre in Kitchener on Fri. Nov. 25th and Sat. Nov. 26th. We will be playing all the old favourites but it will be more quiet, as in up close and personal. This came out of the blue but we are really excited about it and I know that it will be a great event.

take care, Toronto Mike!

September 9, 2011 @ 9:35 AM

Jeff Walker

Got my tickets for the registry! Have never seen them live but vaguely remember a school bus ala "The Partridge Family" running around Preston back in the day. Do I have the right band in my memory? Appreciate any input. Excited to finally see Major Hooples after all these years.

November 18, 2011 @ 7:09 PM

Jeff Walker

An exc

November 26, 2011 @ 9:08 AM

Jeff Walker

Sorry, fat fingers...

An excellent show last night at the Registry. Gail, Rocky and Peter came out on stage and I immediately noticed that they looked a little different than the last time I saw them (35 yrs ago!?!?), but as soon as the banter began and Rocky sang, I knew that we were in for a golden evening. Great memories!

November 26, 2011 @ 9:12 AM

Terry Melnyk

The concert last night was fantastic and I will be keeping in touch. So nice to see you again. Good memories.

November 26, 2011 @ 12:32 PM

rick

Major Hooples lived in our house in Galt (Cambridge) when I was a kid

June 29, 2012 @ 6:43 PM

ernie ray

i was a sound tech for a band out of woodstock called ash mountain and we had dave lodge as a manager ,he was a great guy and friend , he taught me alot about sound and stage management , good guy dave was :)

December 7, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

ernie ray

December 7, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Deborah Jones

Major Hoople's Boarding House Band is back! Check out their new website for updates about upcoming concerts!

December 7, 2012 @ 10:24 PM

teddy loughlean

dave and i grew up together in wiarton .WE HAD pet names toGETHER WE called each other LUBBYTOE i met dave years later when he played in port elgin i talked to him but he was in a hurry he begged me to come to durham the flowing week he said he had some to tell me I DIDN T GO i would prob guess he was going to tell me he was dying .I WILL REGET THAT FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE thanks for doing this TEDDY

October 22, 2014 @ 4:59 PM