Hockey Night in Canada Theme Song Dropped?

cbcHave we heard our second national anthem for the last time during the opening of Hockey Night in Canada? The Star is reporting that's entirely possible.

The licence agreement to use the song expired with the final game of this year’s Stanley Cup playoffs, according to statements posted this week on the website hockeytheme.com.

On the website, Copyright Music and Visuals president John Ciccone says CBC has advised his company, which controls use of the song, and composer Dolores Claman that it is not prepared to sign a new agreement.

As a loyal Hockey Night in Canada viewer for over twenty years, there are three constants I'd like to see continue for as long as possible.

1. Bob Cole calling Leafs games
  2. Don Cherry hosting Coach's Corner
  3. Dolores Claman's Hockey Night in Canada song opening the broadcast

Call me a nostalgia addict who rejects change, but the removal of any of the above three elements will prompt me to pull out my typewriter and write angry letters to the CBC.

It's upsetting just thinking about it. Cue that tune...

Fredericton Steve

I'm with you, mike. This change is unacceptable.

June 5, 2008 @ 7:32 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

That's just not right!

p.s. the new YouTube player stinks

June 5, 2008 @ 8:28 PM

Kirsten

If they get rid of that song, I think the world will come to an end. As my poor little brain did when I saw Don Cherry on NBC last week. *twitch*

June 5, 2008 @ 8:54 PM

Alison

Only in Canada can a ritual like the Hockey Night in Canada song be thrown out the wondow for a measly $500 bucks per show....Shame on the CBC...That is just pathetic! Don't they know what that kind of brand recognition and loyalty is worth in today's world??

June 5, 2008 @ 9:51 PM

Mike (Buffalo Boy)

That would be like not singing the National Anthem before a game starts, it essentially is another national anthem, it has to be played before a game on CBC can start.

June 6, 2008 @ 7:18 AM

LEW

Homeboy Cole can get the boot. Only a Leaf fan can love this guy (HNIC is a national show)

June 6, 2008 @ 10:30 AM

Toronto Mike
Copyright Music & Visuals said it had offered the public broadcaster a chance to renew its licence to use Claman's song — a staple on HNIC since 1968 — on terms that were "virtually identical to those that have existed for the past decade."

Previously, each use of the song cost the CBC about $500, the agency said.

After the first two years of a new agreement, the rates would rise about 15 per cent, an increase Copyright Music & Visuals president John Ciccone called an industry standard.

So let me get this straight. All this bullshit and aggrevation is over an extra $75.

75 friggin' bucks a Saturday night... hell, I'll cough up the coin. Seriously, I'll do it, just so my kids can hear that song open our Saturday night ritual.

Scott Moore, executive director of CBC Sports, contact me to arrange payment.

June 6, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

Tee

The song debuted in 1968. The Leafs last won the cup in 1967. I think its time to start planning the parade now that that cursed song is getting the boot.

June 6, 2008 @ 9:02 PM

Toronto Mike

And, while we're on the subject, I recently compiled a list of Hockey Songs: The Best Music About Our Game.

June 6, 2008 @ 9:24 PM

Dave

I never fucking comment on blogs but this retarded CBC decision is so goddam cheap and insensitive my blood is boiling.

I want to scream. If the CBC was a private company this would not be happening.

Now I hope TSN gets both HNIC and our 2nd national anthem.

Fuck the CBC!!!!

June 6, 2008 @ 9:34 PM

Donna

I sure hell hope she dont call herself a canadian? f**K if it were me I would give it up free!!

October 10, 2008 @ 1:36 AM