PJ Fresh Phil and Snit on YTV

memoryYouTube user Retrontario frequently uploads fantastic retro-Toronto-centric gems. These clips never fail to bring back a ton of memories for me, so I feature them from time to time.

I was always a little old for YTV. It launched late in 1988 when I was fourteen years old and by the time The Zone debuted I was way too old to be interested.

I didn't watch The Zone, but I was familiar with it. It first aired in the early 90s and they had PJs instead of VJs. The first PJ and the only one I ever knew by name was Phil Guerrero who went by the name PJ Fresh Phil.

As you'll see in this clip, PJ Fresh Phil's co-host was Snit, a television with dentures. I knew PJ Fresh Phil in the real world as the guy I used to mosh with at The Phoenix on Monday nights.

The_Voice

The "P" in "PJ" stands for "Program".

YTV was right in my age range as I was 6 when it launched. I have fond memories of Snit and PJ Fresh Phil. I remember distinctly when Phil left I had already begun weening off the station and can no longer watch it (except for the occasional movie, since they show things like Ghostbusters and the original Transformers animated feature).

May 28, 2008 @ 1:32 PM

Toronto Mike

I own the original Transformers animated feature on DVD!

Speaking of Transformers, the plan is for me to watch the new movie with my son this weekend.

May 28, 2008 @ 1:47 PM

PJ Phil

I'm sorry if I moshed into you at the Phoenix....I got too old for YTV at that point too...now I'm too old for everything.

August 14, 2008 @ 3:36 PM

Vinnie

Pj Phil is a co-host of karaoke star junior on YTV at the time of this posting.

March 16, 2009 @ 7:17 PM

Ian

does anyone remember the Grog's Christmas special where they hide-out in the back of Phil's van to go to the christmas parade (I think it was christmas '93). stellar thrill-ride masterpiece theatre for sure! anyone know where I might be able obtain a copy of this tv movie?

April 28, 2009 @ 3:17 AM

the green ranger

i was watching these zone clips on youtube recently. i do remember the zone, not as much as i wish but i do remember it. i rememebr wishing that the next episode of the power rangers would be the green ranger sauga and sure enough it did.."today on power rangers, a new kid at angelgrove high.." the zone was awesome

May 25, 2009 @ 3:56 PM

J

Gotta love that subtle pro-queer "we're getting married?" bit. I truly feel the intent with this skit wasn't to hide it, but to be super casual. In 1995. The same year I was dealing with anti-queer middle school BS.

July 25, 2013 @ 2:33 PM