Surprise! 48 Hours Notice My Butt

ttcWhen my mom told me at about 10am this morning that the TTC was on strike, I didn't believe her. Firstly, it seemed like a pretty good deal, so why would the union reject the offer on the table? Secondly, the TTC union promised 48 hours notice before striking, and when I turned of the laptop last night, there was nothing about a strike on the wire.

There's something rotten in the state of Denmark. How many Friday night clubbers and bar hoppers staggered onto the streets after midnight only to discover the TTC was closed for buisiness? As I type, there's a sold-out crowd at the ACC for the Raptors game and at BMO Field for Toronto FC. The Better Way wasn't an option, which meant more cars clogging the streets. Thousands of Torontonians are actively working on contingency plans, figuring out how they're getting to work Monday morning. It just doesn't seem right, does it?

The Ontario legislature will meet tomorrow to debate legislation to force 9,000 striking Toronto transit workers back on the job as soon as possible. To his credit, John Tory has said the Progressive Conservatives will back the Liberal bill, but Howard Hampton isn't tipping his hand. Without NDP support, the bill could be delayed up to five days. Oh joy.

I've got a complaint, so I'm going to use this handy TTC complaint form. You should do the same. Let 'em have it, Toronto.

Jane

Anonymous

This is truly one greedy bunch of selfish folk! My ex works for them I know the kind of money they already make and for them to turn down the offer is just sick. You cant birch on one hand and on the other complain about hard done by you are. I am so glad I don't need to rely on them everyday or I would be at Queen's Park lobbying for a change in gun laws! They need to suck it up and get back to work.

April 26, 2008 @ 6:20 PM

Keith

This is what happens when you elect socialists like the spineless union arse-licker Miller. World class city my ass.

April 26, 2008 @ 7:23 PM

Toronto Mike

The fact is, a deal was struck and was recommended by the union, but for some reason the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 rejected it.

I don't see what David Miller has to do with this. It's clearly an issue with the union members - a split with Bob Kinnear.

Miller wasted no time in contacting McGuinty and getting back to work legislation on the front burner. Miller isn't perfect, but he's not coming across like a "spineless union arse-licker". From the video I've seen and the quotes I've read, he's calling the strike "Unacceptable And Irresponsible".

If and when this legislation passes, the TTC will resume Monday. I don't see what Miller could have done differently, but I'd love to hear it.

April 26, 2008 @ 8:17 PM

Ryan

I rely so heavily on the TTC that I can't not say something here and fill out that form.

How is this not an essential service? I want a politician to adequately describe what consists of a necessary essential service. Yes, we need ambulances, cop cars and fire trucks on the streets more than a TTC Bus, but i'm pretty sure I along with millions of people would agree... Our lives are in stand-still mode.

I walked to my Dentist appointment today, unexpectedly with no notice to arrange for a ride.

This was wrong. This will leave a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

But what bothers me most, is that like most things in Toronto, we have no say and can't change it anyhow.... Unless you have money or power.

So as a poor powerless dude, I will suck it up, bitch like crazy, with no chance of changing anything.

Man, communism works so well on paper. Damn!

April 26, 2008 @ 8:18 PM

The_Voice

Playing Devil's Advocate... at least this wasn't Monday.

And I'm guessing the majority of Toronto Club goers can afford a taxi... maybe... my brother was once of them, having to share a cab until he reached a friend's house who put him up.

Anyways, how bad was traffic today? I stayed in, but I'm heading out tomorrow...

April 26, 2008 @ 8:49 PM

Toronto Mike

I didn't touch the car today.

Ryan, you could have called for a drive!

April 26, 2008 @ 8:54 PM

Ryan

You are always doing something on Saturday with the kids. I assumed you were busy and the appointment was last minute as my tooth sucks!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll call next time.

PS. TTC SUX!!!

April 26, 2008 @ 10:04 PM

Toronto Mike

The garage sale consumed the morning, but I wasn't manning the booth. I was just the eye candy that attracted the neighbourhood soccer moms.

April 26, 2008 @ 10:08 PM

CQ

Don't think this is a Toronto only issue. These identical transit staffing cost issues happen in nearly every N.A. city.
I'd rather see a greatly reduced 'blue light' skeleton TTC regarded as essential: the 2 subway lines with only 2/3 of their stops, a lone streetcar line along King or Queen and maybe 7 or 8 bus routes.

April 27, 2008 @ 9:23 AM

jamesm

Yep, my girlfriend lost her job because of the strike. We are scraping by at times and could not afford a cab. If we had the 48 hours notice as promised we could have arranged something.

The question I have, is this something the TTC should be legally liable for. Giving us misleading information which is directly in some capacity responsible for job losses.

April 29, 2008 @ 10:41 AM