Bob McCown vs. Bill Watters

radioBetween 5 and 5:30 I'm often in my car. Usually when I'm in my car, I'm listening to the radio. I go old school and listen to good ol' terrestrial radio. You know, that AM / FM stuff you've heard your parents talk about.

On the AM dial, I listen to Bob McCown's Prime Time Sports on The Fan 590. Love him or hate him, McCown puts together an intriguing radio show. There's no one better on the entire AM dial, if you ask me.

Recently, a little to the right at AM 640, Bill Watters got his own sports show to compete with McCown. I tried it out, returned when my buddy Fred co-hosted, and gave it another ten minutes earlier this week. The fact is, I find it sloppy and boring and about 10% as good as Prime Time Sports.

Is anybody listening to Watters over McCown?

james edgar

McCown is way better than the show on 640. Not necessarily better than Watters because he has his moments but as you say the show is sloppy. I'm usally in the car from 4:30 -5:45 I like watters show before 4:45 because bob's callers are often quite daft but after that it blows 640 off the air.I did listen when Fred was on and would have become a regular if he had the gig but I don't have any expectation that the Bill Watters show will be on past the spring.

January 11, 2008 @ 7:52 AM

Andrew

As many have said, Watters is too Leaf focused. He seems to be a Leaf homer through and through and cna't offer truly insightful comments into the organization without fear of ticking off someone. His knowledghe of sports pretty much ends at hockey and most people want more.

If 640 was smart they would bring back Stafford. He was good counter programing to McCowan. The city doesn't need two sports programs on the radio. "THE TEAM" failed on that premise.

January 11, 2008 @ 8:13 AM

Fredericton Steve

Bob McCown makes me want to vomit.

January 11, 2008 @ 8:13 AM

Doug

Bill Watters is nothing without Jeff Marek. When he left, the show lost the quarterback that Bill Watters so desparately needs.

January 11, 2008 @ 8:38 AM

Argie

I agree McCown has better content in terms of guests and the variety of sports they cover. However, when he starts talking about his personal life and shilling his book I immediately turn the dial to Watters. I also like Watters’ new host Greg Brady. He seems to know his stuff and not just hockey stuff.

Another thing that bugs me about McCown’s show is that he insists on having his buddies as guest hosts (see Jim Kelley who never shuts up). His other buddy Stephen Brunt is just plain boring and a too left wing.

January 11, 2008 @ 9:46 AM

Toronto Mike

Andrew, I agree. When you're not in a sports mood, Stafford is a great option. He's smart, funny and interesting.

Stafford is best when he's having fun. His calls with city councillors bore the crap out of me.

January 11, 2008 @ 9:47 AM

Toronto Mike

McCown isn't perfect, and I can see why some hate him, but I think he made a good call recruiting Kelley and Brunt. They're both good complements and Kelley may talk a lot but he knows his hockey. Brunt is one of the best in the biz, as far as I'm concerned.

January 11, 2008 @ 10:06 AM

Andrew

McCowan's commercials are terrible. When my wife watched the first one she said, "Who's this loser?" He TV image is very poor.

Mike, I don't like Stafford's interviews either. Toronto City Council doesn't interest me.

January 11, 2008 @ 10:22 AM

Andrew

I keep spelling McCowan wrong. It is McCown. Oops.

January 11, 2008 @ 10:43 AM

Al

McCown's show is the best thing on the air IMHO. I love that he doesn't do the usual player interviews. He's insightful and intelligent. Watters is too much of a homer. I liked him better on the FAN when he didn't have to lick MLSE's balls. I can't stand listening to one minute of his show on 640. Love him or hate him, McCown offers more quality and info on all sport, not just hockey.

January 11, 2008 @ 1:23 PM

Jer

simply put, the bobcat has a wider range that he talks about.

If you want leafs info...go to mr. watters, if you want sports talk McCown's your man.

April 9, 2008 @ 9:49 AM

dave

Want to talk baseball with Bob--this city's sports demagogue. Do the following:

1: Refer to the thirty-seven, fifty-nine, or eighty-four third basemen brought in by Ricciardi. It doesn't matter if the real number--excluding subs--is something like three or four. The higher the number, the more Bob likes you.

2: Say something like, "This guy hasn't done/brought in anyone." Bob likes that. Don't mention Lind, Hill, Purcey, Snider, Cecil, Marcum, Litsch, Accardo, Tallet, Downs, etc. Bob doesn't know who they are.

3: Say "I mean," and "C'mon." Say them a lot. Here's a template for you to use when you're talking to the screener: "I mean, c'mon, what' this guy doing. I mean, c'mon. Who's he drafting? C'mon, I mean."

4: Tell Bob that this team "has no one" and could never "make a run." Wells, Rios, Hill, and Overbay are .260/10/70 hitters. Not much they can do over a complete season. "How are they gonna compete with Wells and Hill? They got no one there at the corners. They, I mean, they got no one. I mean, they can't make a run."

5: Ignore everything positive about this team. The fact that they're third in the AL (and 6th in MLB) in team ERA? It doesn't matter. "C'mon, I mean, Wells isn't doing anything. C'mon."

6: Banish logic from your argument. The Jays lost two one-run games to Boston, and have already played ten one-run contests. Since they lost said games, they're awful. Had they won said games (by one run) they'd be a great defensive/pitching team.

7: Pretend that slumps never happen: Say something like, "Stairs is on pace to go .300/15/40 this year."

8: Say something that shows your baseball knowledge. Something like, "My buddies and me were talking baseball. Now we know a lot about the game. We follow it. We're experts, you know. But that there Jays third basemen, that...you know...that guy...oh, I can't remember his name. But I know a lot about baseball. Now I don't like him."

Now you're on. OK. Wind him up, and watch him go.

May 2, 2008 @ 5:29 PM

Sea Bass

Wait a sec. People are saying Watters is afraid of making comments that piss off MLSE? That he's an MLSE baglicker? I don't think those two comments could be further from the truth.

May 3, 2008 @ 11:05 PM

Charles

Don't like sports radio, don't like Bob McCowan. If Bob thinks the Bronws are so great why isn't he down in Cleveland worshiping them?

I can an do listen Bill Waters more intelligent show. Way more interesting analasys with out the 'tude.
Can't listen to Bob or bear to watch his self absorbed commercials.

May 5, 2008 @ 9:44 PM

tradingterry

I don't think Bob McCown even takes the time to watch most sports....yet he still feels he's qualified to talk about them. The guy is a sports imposter and he's got most of you fooled. I haven't listened to him in years. I am however addicted to Bill Watters shows...but I do miss Jeff Marek

May 8, 2008 @ 10:21 AM

Frank

Marek was OK but the show has clearly taken off and Brady is a more well-rounded broadcaster than Marek. Both are good...but Brady obviously is more than just a hockey-head. McCown - I agree..lazy, uninspiring and has never been challenged in this market. Well - here it comes. It'll take some time but they may be able to challenge. The issue might be Watters' age. When will he quit? But Brady and Watters have ENERGY. Does McCown get excited about anything? He never even gets angry! Just sounds bitter and sarcastic. And I agree with terry....he doesn't watch sports and doesn't LIKE the NHL!

May 9, 2008 @ 6:15 PM

howie

As a person who listens to talk shows all over North America, I have to state that McCown is one of the most BORING shows around. The reason he lasts is the old 'first one in' theory in which he has grandfathered his audience. Put him and his croonies in a major US market and he'd be lucky to do late night weekends.

November 28, 2008 @ 12:50 PM

Anonymous

Mccown is a fucking joke. Im not beaking toronto media...well maybe a little. being a canucks fan, mccown couldnt have been any more wrong. He has being going on for weeks how vancouver didnt have a shot of signing sundin, and didnt even go into detail about the possibility and said that he was going to the rangers for sure. Even before that he wouldnt mention vancouver at all as being a contender for the mats sundin sweepstakes; again only mentioning NY, philly and mtl. Now that he actually signed with the nucks, mccown looks like the biggest fuckin plug in all of the toronto media, which is suitable seeing as hes a shitty talking head.

December 20, 2008 @ 6:21 AM

Marc

Here's the deal with this battle.
McCown is a nationally syndicated show. That being said, he has to speak on national topics, which are often very vague to the listeners.
Granted McCown is an impressive broadcaster, his 'hook' is that he is a self proclaimed ass hole, and that's why many of us tune in.

Watters' knowledge of sports is limited at hockey, but then again, AM640 is flagged as the "Home of the Leafs" so why wouldn't you tune in for any other reason but Leaf talk?

It comes to a matter of preference, do you want to listen to Sports talk, or Leaf Talk? Both of these hosts are amazing at what they're there for.
The Watters show is in fact "sloppy' at times because Bill Watters knows absolutely nothing about Radio Broadcasting, but rather solely Hockey.
Bob McCown on the other hand is both a radio broadcaster and a sports-head.

January 7, 2009 @ 2:18 PM

Marc

Here's the deal with this battle.

Bob McCown on the other hand is both a radio broadcaster and a sports-head.

January 7, 2009 @ 2:20 PM

Chas Calz

I enjoy both shows .. I flip the dial if one gets too boring
McCown is a bit to talkative at times, esp on Roundtable days where you wonder why he invited guests .
but I guess it's his show
Tghere seems to be an element too of contrived debate imo too
It's good to have the choice though ..

January 16, 2009 @ 3:27 PM

Lloyd Bank$

McCown doesn't know shit about sports in general! It's either he takes the position of the majority of the roundtable or he likes to be a dick and play devil's advocate with stupid arguments. His shows can also go weeks (and I mean it) without variety. For example, For at least 2 weeks, nothing was talked about EXCEPT fighting in hockey recently! No one cares what you think about you're not changing anyone's mind bud so stop talking about it! FUCK! And his commercials make him look like a duche, not someone who thinks they know sports.

I think Watters is an idiot aswell to be honest. As already stated he loves the Leafs off. Don't find him entertaining either.

Getting off the AM/FM dial, Hardcore sports is best.

February 1, 2009 @ 5:47 PM

saskatoon-scheister

IS BOBCAT BLIND ? His show is terrible his commercial s are worst

July 15, 2009 @ 6:55 AM

canadian sportscasts suck

both shows suck. I've tuned out, banned on my dial. Hate both shows. Hate hockey-centric garbage. Jim Rome rules the radio roost. In your face, not a bunch of armchair fake jocks borin my skull with nothing. Someone please give kypreos another f-in concussion and shut his trap permanently. He got k-oed in exhibition and was forced to retire.

October 26, 2009 @ 3:57 PM

The Guy Above Me Is a complete loser

look up....the last poster licks balls

November 9, 2009 @ 2:32 PM