935 Lies

usaShockingly, Dubya's administration lied like a rug during the two years following 9/11. A nonprofit journalist organization called Center for Public Integrity worked with the Fund for Independence in Journalism found that President Bush and top administration officials issued hundreds of false statements about the national security threat from Iraq in the two years following the 2001 terrorist attacks.

The study concluded that the statements "were part of an orchestrated campaign that effectively galvanized public opinion and, in the process, led the nation to war under decidedly false pretenses."

The study counted 935 false statements in the two-year period. It found that in speeches, briefings, interviews and other venues, Bush and administration officials stated unequivocally on at least 532 occasions that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction or was trying to produce or obtain them or had links to al-Qaida or both.

"It is now beyond dispute that Iraq did not possess any weapons of mass destruction or have meaningful ties to al-Qaida," according to Charles Lewis and Mark Reading-Smith of the Fund for Independence in Journalism staff members, writing an overview of the study. "In short, the Bush administration led the nation to war on the basis of erroneous information that it methodically propagated and that culminated in military action against Iraq on March 19, 2003."

If you're scoring at home, Dubya won with 259 fibs with Secretary of State Colin Powell finishing second.

Worst. President. Ever.

Argie

Mike: How is he the worst president ever? I know you’re not alone in this belief but when you look at the past 7 years, he’s actually done a good job. Not great, but not bad.

After being attack by Islamic terrorist on 9/11 he helped America’s economy recover to where it enjoyed low interest rates, low unemployment, steady economic growth, etc. He spent like a drunken sailor but most of the spending went to protecting the country (Homeland Security) and taking over Afghanistan. The invasion of Iraq was also costly but the latest surge is working and there are much fewer suicide bombings. Under Bush’s leadership the US has eliminated Taliban rule and thrown out a dictator. He has also challenged North Korea and Iran re: nuclear weapons. These are bad things???

Getting back to the US economy – yes it’s hurting but so are the other economies around the world. Is that Bush’s fault?

People just have to think and look back at what Bush was done in the past 7 years and they’ll realize he’s good a decent job.

January 24, 2008 @ 10:10 AM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Argie you are a f****** idiot. Take the brainwashing chip out of your head with some tweezers.

"the latest surge is working"

B*******, define "working" you fruitandnutbar

Decent job?

How many people are dead over your b******* war? Not another Viet Nam, Capt. Argie

January 24, 2008 @ 10:29 AM

Argie

Jason: You’re just a typical lefty - resorting to name calling without disproving any of my facts. You have no credibility but you are pretty funny – albeit unintentional.

January 24, 2008 @ 10:39 AM

Andrew

Wow Argie. You are falt out wrong that Bush has done a decent job.

His spending was not smart and it a direct result of why the American economy is in the tank. His war in Iraq was fought based on lies and he still won't acknowledge that. Let's see some great Bush moments:

Hurrican Katrina
US Attorney Scandal
"Mission Accomplished"
Torture
Holding people without trial, lawyers or charges for as long as they want.
Valerie Plame CIA leak

Do you want more?

January 24, 2008 @ 11:06 AM

Argie

Andrew:

I’ll give you my lists of the good he’s done (along with the others I previously mentioned):

No terrorists on US soil since 9/11
Potential terrorists rounded up and charged
More foreign aid to Africa than any other Prez.
The banning of partial birth abortions in the US

January 24, 2008 @ 12:12 PM

Andrew

"No terrorists on US soil since 9/11"

There is no proof in that statement.

"Potential terrorists rounded up and charged"

Not all have been charged and not all have been terrorists.

"More foreign aid to Africa than any other Prez."
This is arguable.

"The banning of partial birth abortions in the US"

Perhaps a good move as viewed by some but not a "Great Things by a President" item to add to a list.

And please before saying how great he is, how about addressing the huge mistakes I have already mentioned.

Here are some more:

Donald Rumsfeld
Dick Cheney
Record High Energy Prices
Vastly underestimating the cost of the war
American Healthcare
"No Child Left Behind"

January 24, 2008 @ 12:50 PM

Argie

Andrew: I have never said he’s been a great Prez. I’m not fans of Cheney and Rumsfeld but at least he’s replaced the latter.

US health care has always had its issues – well before Bush came along. Of course Canada’s is nothing to be proud of.

Energy prices? Come on that’s got nothing to do with Bush or the US. China and India are consuming WAY more oil than they were only a few years ago.

BTW, I missed adding the word ‘attacks’ in the post about no terrorists on US soil.

January 24, 2008 @ 1:05 PM

Andrew

After I posted I thought you probably meant to say attacks, but I wasn't sure.

He only replaced Rumsfeld after enormous pressure and had no alternative. He still appointed the man.

I still contest the "Decent" president comment. There is a very long list of things that have made him a very bad president. The media isn't spinning this out of control, Bush is doing it. There are countless videos of Bush ignoring the truth or rewriting history to make himself look better. One in particular....

He was warned about Katrina. He was told is was going to be bad and he did nothing. Nothing. When everything hit the fan he denied being told and it was later proven, by video, that he was told and he shrugged it off.

The WMD issue is proof as well. Now he is ramping up to fight Iran. Research them. They are not the threat to our safety as he claims. His own agencies say that are not the threat he is making them out to be. He should be concentrating on getting Bin Laden like he promised but he doesn't care about him any more. I guess the "War on Terror" doesn't mean to find the mastermind.

January 24, 2008 @ 1:13 PM

Argie

Mike: I was just reading some of your previous posts on Harper and Bush. Boy you’re scary! You’re so Toronto (i.e. left) that I don’t think I can visit your blog anymore. It’s nice to get opinions from both right and left but you seem more Jack Layton than Stephanie Dion. There’s no hope for you unless of course you enlighten yourself and sway a little - actually a lot more - to the right.

Cheers!
Argie

January 25, 2008 @ 3:31 PM

Toronto Mike

Argie, you make it sound like I've never cast a vote for a member of a party right of the Liberals. As my wife keeps reminding me, I voted for Mike Harris once!

If there's no hope for me, there's no hope for the entire 416. As you know, it's currently a sea of red with a little orange in the mix and I don't think that's changing anytime soon.

I'll be sorry to lose a reader, but I don't think you were clicking any ads anyway. ;-)

January 25, 2008 @ 3:43 PM

Argie

Who am I kidding? I can’t help myself. I’ll be back reading and posting here.

I’ll just have to be the token neo-con.

BTW, after 2 years, do still find Harper scary? I mean abortion is still legal and the fellas can still marry each other?

In regards to abortion, should a mother be charged/arrested if she doesn’t secure her young child in a car seat? If you say 'no' I’ll understand your position on abortion.

January 25, 2008 @ 3:57 PM

Toronto Mike

And Argie, Fred's site is for the neo-cons.

And as for Harper, I haven't written about him in a while b/c he hasn't been as bad as advertised but he's still not getting any seats in the 416.

As for abortion, your analogy is so faulty I don't know where to begin.

January 25, 2008 @ 4:01 PM

Madison Mike

How come everybody forgets about the anthrax attacks in 2001 after 9/11? Never solved, either, I might add.

January 25, 2008 @ 7:58 PM

Tee

Worst president ever? 2 words: James Buchanan

January 25, 2008 @ 7:59 PM

A.R.

Also, Canada's health care system is nothing to be ashamed of. It needs work in certain areas, but there's a lot to be said about equality.

In regards to the current US president, remember your freedom is being eroded daily. The government the contracting out of the military is also eroding accountability. The trick is to hire many different companies and not disclose who you hire, because there is no law in the US that necessitates that. The war in Iraq was declared under propaganda when the U.S. wasn't under any threat from Iraq.

Oh, and Mike, you voted for Harris? I wouldn't even admit that now.

January 25, 2008 @ 8:25 PM

Toronto Mike

A.R., you really had to be there in 1995. Bob Rae wasn't going to get my vote, and Lyn McLeod was a poor leader who withdrew Liberal support from a same-sex benefits. So, Harris got my vote by default.

He won large, as you know, and I'm almost glad I can point to at least one election in which I didn't vote Liberal or NDP.

Few will admit they voted for Harris in 1995, but with 44.8% of the popular vote in this province, I sure wasn't alone.

January 25, 2008 @ 8:48 PM