Radiohead Leaves It Up to Us

cdBoing Boing has a link to the Radiohead store where they're selling their new album, In Rainbows. Radiohead is doing something very cool here. Downloads of the album are name-your-own-price.

That's right, you decide how much you're willing to pay for the digital downloads of their hot and fresh material. As I understand it, there's no minimum, but by treating their loyal fans so nicely you can bet this will pay off. They might even sell some of the $80 box sets.

I can only think of one other band that would try something like this, and that's Pearl Jam. I see unsigned veteran bands with loyal fanbases like Radiohead and Pearl Jam as leading the digital revolution and taking the power back from those greedy fat cats in the record company.

Very cool indeed...

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I'll have you know Mister Boon that The Charlatans UK re giving their next album away FOR FREE on X FM.

October 1, 2007 @ 1:49 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

*are

You'll be able to download it free.

October 1, 2007 @ 1:50 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

Oh, and hang on a second. Radiohead and Pearl Jam are way, way, WAY less relevant then you make them out to be dude. Don't you realise how many acts have bi-passed the system. There's a ton of acts becoming successful from MySpace and making money via touring and merchandise, the new business model.

October 1, 2007 @ 1:52 PM

Toronto Mike

Please, they're just desperate for some attention. Radiohead is a band many still consider relevant.

October 1, 2007 @ 2:02 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

No more or less desperate than Pearl Jam... who have gone back on everything they were allegedly about.

October 1, 2007 @ 3:28 PM

Toronto Mike

How have they gone back on everything they were about?

Is this because they use Ticketmaster?

Is this because they now make the occasional video?

They're still doing it their way for their fans, I think you've decided to hate everything that becomes popular.

October 1, 2007 @ 4:04 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

I do not hate everything that becomes popular. You should listen to "Thou Shalt Always Kill" by Dan le Sac- he sings "thou shalt not hate a band just because they become popular"

The fact is Pearl Jam gave in to Ticketmaster, making music videos, and signing to a major label. They took the money honey.

I think you're defending them more because you like them than the fact you think I'm wrong about them running away from being "alternative' with their irrelevant tails between their legs.

How are they doig it for the fans, really? By releasing 200 "live" albums trying to cash in on them? I really don't follow where you are going on this one.

Anyway, bands need to eat, and that is what I think motivates Pearl Jam. The only thing with them is they pretended for so long to be cool and anti-everything. I guess I am biast because I never thought they were really any good after 10 came out anyway.

Neither Radiohead, Charlatans UK or Pearl Jam are really all that relevant in 2007. They just aren't man. It's not because they have become popualr, it's because they have become stale.

With Radiohead, well after Hail to the Theif they are going to have to redeem themselves.

I love R.E.M. and U2 etc. but I am not going to pretend they are relevant.

October 1, 2007 @ 6:01 PM

Jason | GetYourOJ.com

P.S. most of the stuff on my music sidebar is quite popular but i enjoy the debate!

October 1, 2007 @ 6:07 PM

Martin

Hail to the Thief was awesome.

October 1, 2007 @ 10:39 PM