When 3Com Killed Candlestick

baseballAs a kid, I was enamoured by baseball statistics and trivia. In the 80s I knew the name of every major league ballpark. I considered it my duty to know where each team played their home games.

I remember that jarring moment I learnt Candlestick Park in San Francisco was being renamed 3com Park. I wasn't blogging back then, but if I was you can bet I'd have gone off about this one. This park was named after the candlestick bird and to think we were suddenly expected to call it 3com Park was blasphemous.

We all know what's happened since. Just about every park has sold the naming rights to a corporation and these names often change when the deal expires. Today, I don't know the name of every ballpark. There's still Fenway Park and Dodger Stadium and Yankee Stadium, but I haven't cared to learn most of the others. It's all so soulless.

Minute Maid Park? Ugh. AT&T Park? Yuck. U.S. Cellular Field? I think I'm going to be sick.

The_Voice

BMO Stadium
Scotiabank Theatre
Air Canada Centre (although it didn't have a name before it)
Rogers Centre

June 21, 2007 @ 11:28 AM

Toronto Mike

I still call our ballpark SkyDome and I always will.

As for our arena, I only refer to it as the ACC.

Without a doubt, we're just as bad.

June 21, 2007 @ 11:32 AM

Al

I still think it would have been much better if they had named it Roger's Field instead of Roger's Center. The former would have had a more traditional and personal ring to it and I wouldn't have had a problem with it. The latter just makes it sound so...I don't know...impersonal.

June 22, 2007 @ 9:21 AM

Toronto Mike

They probably thought Roger's Field was too limiting. "Centre" says hotel, restaurants, etc.

Let's rename it Tom Cheek Field!

June 22, 2007 @ 9:25 AM

Al

I know their reasoning behind it, I just don't agree. They spent all that money to provide a warmer atmosphere to watch a sporting event and I think they succeeded, the place looks great. But they dropped the ball on the name IMHO. They had a unique opportunity to go with a more traditional identity thanks to the nature of the corporation's name. Besides, have you ever been in that hotel? They want $300+/night. Who stays there?

June 22, 2007 @ 9:48 AM

zooomabooma

Oh, God, please don't let me get started... I HATE corporate naming and renaming and re-renaming and re-re-renaming, etc...

I also used to know all the names of MLB stadiums... and also all the arenas for the NHL and NBA and additionally no problemo to name all the stadiums of the NFL.

Would be a piece of cake to name them all.

Today I might be able to but I'm not sure.

Certainly there is NO way I could give each venue name and include all the names each has had.

Throw into this equation many major music venues across America and the task becomes a hundred times more impossible. You know at one point there were like four summer music venues with the name Verizon Wireless? WHAT?!?! What the heck happened to individual unique names? They're building now, I think it's called, AT&T Stadium near Dallas for the Dallas Cowboys. Don't confuse AT&T Stadium with the AT&T Center, the arena in San Antonio or with AT&T Field, formerly SBC Park, formerly Pacific Bell Park in San Francisco.

It's insane.

My favorite team's going from Shea to Citi... oh joy. While Citi Field's not the worst name ever, I still can't help but think how long it'll be before that company is bought out down the line someday and they'll have to change the name. Or maybe they'll have financial troubles and decide to end their agreement early. A ten or twenty year agreement is NOT etched in stone. It's all too pathetic.

But there is one shining light out there in my opinion. One corporate name that makes sense -- in the minor leagues there's a park called: Louisville Slugger Field.

Yay. One good one. One.