CanCon Song Dump #1

canadaI'm on a quest to come up with a definitive list of the 100 best Canadian tunes of all-time. Every couple of days I'm dumping ten great Canadian songs and inviting you to suggest Canadian classics in the comments.

On July 1, I'll unveil the top 100. Here's the first dump of ten Canadian gems.

• 54-40 - I Go Blind
  • Alanis Morissette - You Oughta Know
  • Alannah Myles - Black Velvet
  • Arcade Fire - Wake Up
  • Ashley MacIsaac - Sleepy Maggie
  • Barenaked Ladies - Brian Wilson
  • Billy Talent - Nothing To Lose
  • Blue Rodeo - Try
  • Blue Rodeo - Diamond Mine
  • Bran Van 3000 - Drinking in L.A.

Coach

So do we just pick one from the list or all the ones that we think should stay?

I'll give this round to Blue Rodeo - Diamond Mine (radio edit). Not since Sam Roberts has there been a more beautifully sung simile/metaphor about a mine shaft. Oh yeah, honorable mention to Rita McNeil.

Mike, this is no small feat...

May 16, 2007 @ 2:16 AM

Mike

Definitely 5440 I go blind

May 16, 2007 @ 6:09 AM

Toronto Mike

Ok, here's what I'm doing... I'm going through my collection alphabetically. CanCon on compilation discs won't come until I hit "V" for various.

I'll keep doing that - when I hit a band like 54-40, I'll just post the songs I think could make the top 100.

You guys can play this either way: you can yell at me for posting a horrible song or tell me I missed a song from an artist I've covered.

The main rule is there are no rules.

May 16, 2007 @ 8:51 AM

Al

Of all the BNL songs, I hate Brian Wilson the most. Any other track besides that one please! I don't know what the big deal was about that song. If you're only taking from Gordon, how about Hello City, Enid, $1Million, Be My Yoko Ono, What a Good Boy. If not, how about The Old Apartment, Pinch Me or One Week.

My definitive Blue Rodeo song would actually be Lost Together, but that's just me.

May 16, 2007 @ 10:09 AM

Al

P.S. I love "Drinking in L.A." It's a great track!

I hope you will have some Kon Kan and Dream Warriors on your list.

May 16, 2007 @ 10:11 AM

Toronto Mike

Lost Together is a great song - definitely worthy of consideration.

Brian Wilson is probably my favourite BNL tune. Other BNL tunes will definitely be considered, I love The Old Apartment...

May 16, 2007 @ 10:12 AM

Al

I know it will be awhile before you arrive at Tom Cochrane, and the obvious choice for him might be "Life is a Highway", but I think his best tune was "Big League". I still sometimes get shivers during the final verse:

Sometimes at night I can hear the ice crack,
Sounds like thunder, rips through my back,
Sometimes in the morning I can still hear the sound,
Ice meets metal,
Won't you take me down to the big league.

A great piece of Canadiana. Too bad, Tom can't sing anymore.

May 16, 2007 @ 12:38 PM

Toronto Mike

Dude, I'm with you on Big League. I get shivers too. I like Victory Day, too. Boy Inside the Man deserves some props as well.

May 16, 2007 @ 12:59 PM

Coach

Mad mad world all the way. (kidding). For BNL tracks I think my all time fave is lovers in a dangerous time. Was that a Canadian song originally?

May 16, 2007 @ 3:46 PM

Toronto Mike

Yep, so I'd probably have to propose the Bruce Cockburn original... although that BNL version is awesome.

I can't wait to post another ten tonight!

May 16, 2007 @ 3:52 PM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Cowboy Junkies - Misguided Angel

May 16, 2007 @ 3:55 PM

Jason Meltzer Patterson

Cowboy Junkies - Misguided Angel

May 16, 2007 @ 3:55 PM

Toronto Mike

No doubt, Misguided Angel will crack the top 100. Sweetest Cowboy Junkies tune ever...

May 16, 2007 @ 3:58 PM

Anonymous

Here's my votes from this list:
Wake Up - Arcade Fire (which they didn't play at last night's show for some reason)
Try and Diamond Mine - Blue Rodeo
1/2 votes go to:
Black Velvet and You Oughta Know, but these are only grudgingly. The both had influence and commercial appeal which is important to recognize, too (I guess)
I Go Blind - 54-40, but again kind of grudgingly as this song was made more famous by the terribly tepid American bandwhoshallnotbenamed.
The rest of those songs are kinda eh, and while some are better than others, not really of the 100 best of all time worthy, imho.
I'm going to run over to the new list and be all opinionated over there too!

May 16, 2007 @ 11:52 PM

Alison

Shoot, that was me above (as if you couldn't tell this time by the pompous music blah-blahing.)

May 16, 2007 @ 11:54 PM