The Saint Ralph Soundtrack

cdI have a copy of the unreleased soundtrack for the movie Saint Ralph. If you shrugged your shoulders and muttered "so what" under your breath, I encourage you to read the entries on this page.

Now that you're up to speed, you know I've been in love with Gord Downie's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah since I first saw the film Saint Ralph. You're also aware that this song isn't available anywhere. You can't buy a copy of the Saint Ralph soundtrack, you can't purchase the song online and it has never been released as a single. It simply doesn't exist anywhere other than in the movie, and a version ripped from the DVD is all I've had for the past year.

After years of hunting, I now have the unreleased soundtrack. A wonderful person who shall remain anonymous became aware of my plight and blessed me with not one, but two studio versions of The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie singing Hallelujah. This is truly a rare beast as only a few copies were pressed when they were trying to get it released as a soundtrack back in 2004.

So you don't think I've lost my mind, here are pics of the CD. Before you ask me to share with you this official copy of the Hallelujah audio I'm afraid I can't. Part of my deal with this anonymous donor is that I can't share it. I will, however, continue to share the version ripped from the DVD. For now, the polished Hallelujah is for my ears only, unless you want to drop by for a listen.

The Cover of the Saint Ralph Soundtrack The Back of the Saint Ralph Soundtrack The Saint Ralph Soundtrack

anonymous

Why can't you share it? Is it going to be released ever?

Because if it's not, it doesn't make sense why you couldn't share it.

February 16, 2007 @ 2:52 PM

Toronto Mike

There is hope that it will be released, yes. I can't share because that was the condition when I was given this gift.

As soon as the anonymous donor is okay with me sharing this, I will. I promise.

February 16, 2007 @ 2:55 PM

anonymous

*sigh* I understand.

I hope this changes soon though, because this version is exactly what I've been looking for forever. Not because I heard it in Saint Ralph (because I've never seen the film), but because I've been looking for a really good cover that uses the earlier verses-- the "name in vain" and "Lord of Song" verses. Most covers use the five verses used in John Cale and Jeff Buckley's verions, which are both excellent. But I want those other verses, done but a vocalist capable of bringing the necessary feeling to the song.

Bob Dylan and Bono both covered the original, but neither of them did it justice. Bono could have if he didn't opt to do the verses in basically spoken word. He makes it sound like some college freshmen poetry reading.

So, yeah... there's more information than you needed. haha

But, since you're a fellow "Hallelujah" fan, do you know of any artists who cover the original "Hallelujah" off of 'Various Positions'?

February 16, 2007 @ 6:16 PM

Mike Boon

Lyrically, I don't know of a version as faithful to the 'Various Positions' version as Gord Downie's.

John Cale tells a story about Cohen sending him fifteen verses, but here were the four that comprised that first released version, and Downie hits them all.

Now I've heard there was a secret chord That David played, and it pleased the Lord But you don't really care for music, do you? It goes like this The fourth, the fifth The minor fall, the major lift The baffled king composing Hallelujah

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

You say I took the name in vain
I don't even know the name
But if I did, well really, what's it to you?
There's a blaze of light
In every word
It doesn't matter which you heard
The holy or the broken Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
And even though
It all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

Hallelujah

February 16, 2007 @ 7:21 PM

anonymous

Someone should cover all 7 known verses... (have each of the 15 been used before? because I can only find evidence of 7, but I know the John Cale story which you referring to).

And when I say someone, ideally I mean a guy with a good voice, doing it on either piano or guitar. I'd love to hear it covered by Matt Bellamy of Muse, actually. His voice could do it justice, I think.

February 16, 2007 @ 7:32 PM

Mike Boon

I've only heard seven verses, and I'm pretty sure that's all Cohen's published.

Here's that John Cale quote about 15 verses:

After I saw him perform at the Beacon I asked if I could have the lyrics to “Hallelujah”. When I got home one night there were fax paper rolls everywhere because Leonard had insisted on supplying all 15 verses. Nobody recognises my version but I always save that song until the end of the set. He and I were chasing after the same woman in London for a time. I called him one morning and she answered – and that was that. It didn’t matter that Cindy was my wife.

Just because I'm curious how it would sound, I'd like to hear Neil Young take a stab at this one.

February 16, 2007 @ 7:42 PM

Anonymous

Ah, I'm not a huge Neil Young fan-- but he does seem like the type to cover this song. I'm almost surprised that he hasn't.

Have you listened to all of the takes on the 'my old kentucky home' blog? (I followed your link to this page from that site so I know you posted there). If so, none of them cover the original as far as you remember?

If I have to, I'll listen to all of them myself but there's so many and you can't fast forward through them to check faster... :-\

I wonder how a Radiohead cover would sound... just Thom Yorke and a piano... hmmm

February 17, 2007 @ 4:39 PM

Mike Boon

I can't say I've heard them all, but I can vouch for the Buckley, Cale, Wainright, Heap, U2 and Lang versions. They all seem to dig the marble arch verse.

Baby I've been here before, I know this room I've walked this floor I used to live alone before I knew you I've seen your flag on the Marble Arch Love is not a victory march It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah
February 17, 2007 @ 5:39 PM

Anonymous

Yeah... I have all those covers too. Except Heap's, but I don't really like hers that much.

February 18, 2007 @ 3:59 AM

Anonymous

what really are the odds of the soundtrack ever being released?

or at least Gord Downie's cover?

February 18, 2007 @ 4:05 AM

Mike Boon

I'm not sure. I do know there is new discussion about it. I'm taking full credit, by the way.

February 18, 2007 @ 9:20 AM

Anonymous

haha. Well, at the very least, it seems like it would make sense for Downie to release his cover...

There are two versions you said? One acoustic and one orchestral, right?

Which one do you prefer?

February 19, 2007 @ 5:41 PM

Mike Boon

The only difference between the two versions is length. One is 3:23 and the other is 2:07.

They're essentially the same except the longer version has this great orchestral part after the third verse and then Gord comes back for more.

I prefer the longer version. ;-)

February 19, 2007 @ 6:43 PM

Anonymous

Ah, I see. But the both contain all of the verses/lyrics?

February 19, 2007 @ 10:58 PM

Aimee from Wichita, KS

Hello, there. I just recently watched Saint Ralph and fell in love with the film, but even more so fell in love with the music score by Andrew Lockington. I actually sent a request to itunes because it was unavailable, and then "googled" Mr. Lockington and came to you. So, I just wanted to let you know that I am very jealous you have the soundtrack. I wish they would release something. I would buy it in a heart beat! As much as I enjoyed the vocal "Alleluia," the instrumental score throughout the movie moved me to tears. I'm glad to have found your blog to find out some interesting insight about the music from this movie.

Thanks.

February 26, 2007 @ 10:03 AM

Susie Hamidi

I was just introduced to the movie last week and went searching for the soundtrack. Ridiculous that it doesn't exist considering all the garbage that does! How do I access the ripped from the DVD version? Am I not seeing something obvious?

Thank you.

www.susiehamidi.com

February 26, 2007 @ 5:06 PM

Mike Boon

Hey Susie, I tried emailing you the mp3 but I got this bounce back: "The message was rejected because it contains prohibited virus or spam content"

February 26, 2007 @ 7:17 PM

Susie Hamidi

Thank you for trying to send the mp3. I've just added mike@mikeboon.com to my entourage address book, so I'm hoping the mp3 can be sent without any problems now. Please try again. Thank so much! I'm quite embarrassed to admit that I'm still trying to understand this amazing song. Is it a love song? It moves me to tears, but what is it, really? I don't even know what a "cover" is, either. Music is not my expertise. I'm a photographer, so I'm hoping you won't hold my silly questions against me!

susie@susiehamidi.com

February 27, 2007 @ 12:23 PM

Mike Boon

I sent it again and it bounced back again.

A "cover" just means it was originally written and recorded by another artist. Leonard Cohen wrote it and first released it, but many have covered it since.

I was thinking the other day about covers people forget are covers. A good example of that is Aretha Franklin's "Respect". People forget Otis recorded it first.

February 27, 2007 @ 12:34 PM

Susie Hamidi

Thanks for the "cover" explanation. I get it. Is the mp3 being sent from mike@mikeboon.com? If so, I don't know why it's being rejected. Maybe try my .mac account: susiehamidi@mac.com. Thank you again.

March 5, 2007 @ 12:40 PM

Susie Hamidi

Thank you, Mike. It worked.:) Thank you for your persistence.

www.susiehamidi.com

March 5, 2007 @ 1:00 PM

Justin

Any word on if the song/disc would be released? I'm sure Gord wouldn't mind if you shared it with me, we're tight. And by tight I mean I've met him a couple times and have been on the Hip tour bus. lol

April 19, 2007 @ 11:06 PM

Helen Gardner

Thank you for this site, the dvd clip movedme to tears and I've ordered a copy from Amazon today. Please add my voice to requests for the soundtrack to be published as this is one I would buy.

Thanks for your blog,

Helen

May 10, 2007 @ 7:52 AM

Andy Sheepleton

This is a great site. I am very very jealous of your CD Acquisition. Saint Ralph and the Soundtrack both rock. I bought the movie and have been pushing it on everyone I know. Hopefully they will release the soundtrack.

I heard there was a great soundtrack
It's eluded me and I can't connect
It has the kind of songs that simply go right through you
I had a taste but I needed more, I made a play but couldn't score
May the angels shout from Heaven Hallelujah

Hallelujah, Hallelujah

Let's hope the media gods smile on us.

Andy

May 14, 2007 @ 8:33 PM

Mike W.

I would be very grateful if you would be so kind as to email me the Downie cover of Hallelujah. I love this song, and am working on gathering as many good covers of it as I can find.

Thank you!

May 19, 2007 @ 6:43 AM

wishiwasyou

God...I wish they'd just release it on iTunes at least. I'm sure the rest of the soundtrack is great too, but this song needs to get out here!

You're so lucky!!

May 19, 2007 @ 11:28 PM

Jason Ward

would you be able to send me the MP3 of that song? I can't believe it hasn't been released. I would very appreciate it. have a great day.

Jason

July 20, 2007 @ 9:33 PM

Ines

Hi everyone,
I am very interested in the mp3 file of the song "Halleluja". Would anyone be so kind and email a copy?
Thanks very much in advance!

August 15, 2007 @ 1:56 PM

Katie

I too am a huge fan of Saint Ralph and would love for you to share your copy of the DVD's ripped cover of Gord Downie's Hallelujah. Trouble is, I don't have a MP3 player and was hoping to play it on my computer's CD drive. Plus I'm not big into computers & e-toys so I hope it will work in this format. Many thanks.

August 16, 2007 @ 10:23 PM

'thann

Yet another cry for the soundtrack to Saint Ralph, or at the very least, Downie's rendition of Hallelujah!

August 17, 2007 @ 7:21 PM

Toronto Mike

'thann, you never entered your email address...

August 17, 2007 @ 8:25 PM

that guy Jeff

Alright, I'm confused. I did a quick search for the soundtrack to Saint Ralph, and pulled up this blog. So I hear that there's a soundtrack, but it's not out yet. And I also hear Mike that you're emailing the cover of Hallelujah, but only to privileged people. So.... how does one get to be that priviliged?

August 19, 2007 @ 11:26 PM

Toronto Mike

1. The soundtrack is not out and I can't say for sure it will ever come out. If I were a betting man, I'd say it won't come out. I do have a copy, though...

2. I won't email the copy from the soundtrack, because I promised I wouldn't, but I will email the copy ripped from the DVD. And you don't have to be privileged, you just have to ask.

August 20, 2007 @ 9:03 AM

Don Logan

Does anyone have all 15 verses to the song Hallelujah? I would like to see them if you do please.
Don

September 2, 2007 @ 5:31 PM

Mike

Loved the movie and the music. Could you email the version that you can, I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks

mike

September 3, 2007 @ 10:29 PM

Cortney

Hey Mike,
I did get the DVD version of Hallelujah from you so thank you very much. Any chance you can share some of the other songs from the movie?

September 11, 2007 @ 9:42 PM

Toronto Mike

I know it's tough to see the track listing on my digital pic of the sountrack rear cover, but Hallelujah is the only non-instrumental song on this album.

So, even if I was permitted to share these songs, if you asked for "Dark Angel" performed by Blue Rodeo and featuring Sarah McLachlan, I don't have it.

September 12, 2007 @ 8:45 AM

Allison

Hey, I've been looking for a cover version of Hallelujah with the original last verses... would you mind sending me a copy of the ripped mp3? Thanks!

September 14, 2007 @ 1:57 PM

tess

I was really moved by this song. Im goin to have it played at my funeral. Thank you Gord

September 25, 2007 @ 11:47 PM

Sandy

I really need this version of the song. I feel the spirit with the words from this origianl version. Not the hacked up ones I can buy. Is it at all possible to purchase the version you have by Gordon Downie?? My husband has liked 3 songs in the 30 years we have been married, this is one.

September 26, 2007 @ 9:15 PM

Hi Sandy,

Sorry, I can't sell you the studio version I have, mainly because it's not mine to sell.

I've sent you the version ripped from the Saint Ralph DVD. In a way, I like that version better anyway... it's got the running commentary in there that adds to the emotion.

September 26, 2007 @ 9:24 PM

Julie Carlson

Well Toronto Mike...After years of hunting, you now have the unreleased soundtrack. A wonderful person who shall remain anonymous became aware of your plight and blessed you with not one, but two studio versions of The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie singing Hallelujah. This is truly a rare beast as only a few copies were pressed when they were trying to get it released as a soundtrack back in 2004.

I don't think you've lost your mind, since I have seen your pics of the CD. I hope that your anonymous donor reads this and becomes aware of my plight and blesses me with not one, but two studio versions of The Tragically Hip's Gord Downie singing Hallelujah! Perhaps your anonymous donor, since he/she is in a position that obviously allows him/her to access such material, would take a stand to get this soundtrack released.

Better yet, I hope Gord Downie reads this and, due to popular response, releases it on an new CD!

October 1, 2007 @ 1:12 PM

Toronto Mike

Well Julie Carlson... I assure you, I haven't lost my mind. I've had the soundtrack since last February and there are indeed two studio versions of Gord singing Hallelujah.

Somebody here must know Gord personally or knows someone who knows him. As a good Canadian boy, he's approachable and understanding and not above posting his thoughts on a page like this.

Gord, if you're out there, let us know if there's any hope of this song being officially released. I'm starting to feel guilty being one of a small few to have it and people are tired of me emailing them the rip from the Saint Ralph DVD.

Hey Julie... want the rip from the Saint Ralph DVD?

October 1, 2007 @ 1:18 PM

Sam Rodriguez

I just came across this page, because I've been searching for not only the music from the movie Saint Ralph, but two songs in particular... Goodnight Moon and Hallelujah. I know how to get Goodnight Moon, now. But I'm jealous that you got a copy of the actual soundtrack. Was the copy of that part of the hush-hush deal too?? I'd love to get an email from you explaining if there is a way to get a copy of the soundtrack. I loved that music.

Thanks!
Sam

October 24, 2007 @ 2:20 AM

Toronto Mike

"Goodnight Moon" isn't on the soundtrack I have. In fact, the two versions of Downie singing "Hallelujah" are the only vocal tracks on the album. All the others are instrumental pieces from the film.

October 24, 2007 @ 8:43 AM

Toronto Mike

And Sam, I just checked out your blog and saw your personal bests... those are awesome times. 16 minutes would win the two 5k races I've run.

October 24, 2007 @ 8:45 AM

Sam Rodriguez

Thanks for visiting my blog. I saw the movie as a running movie...the Catholic stuff was a benefit for me, and then of course, the music just topped the whole package.

For Goodnight Moon, I had to get it off of iTunes, by Will Kimbrough. Good song.

Later!

Sam

October 30, 2007 @ 7:28 PM

kimberly martens

Wow, I've been searching for Gord Downie's version of Alleluia for a while and never had any results! I'm going to have to watch this flick. Is there anywhere I can find the version ripped from the DVD (I skimmed a bit of this blog, and caught mention of it at the top). I would love to have it! It's a beautiful song. Thanks!

November 2, 2007 @ 2:34 PM

kimberly martens

ps: when the whole soundtrack is distributed... i hope they market that well enough so that word spreads! they're going to sell out of that really quickly! i hope i'll be able to grab a copy way out here in winnipeg... :)

November 2, 2007 @ 2:37 PM

La La

Ahhhh. I really want this movie soundtrack. I just watched the film for the 5th time, and I cry over the music! I can't find it anywhere. Any news if/when it will be released?

November 5, 2007 @ 3:24 PM

sari rubin

Hey Mike, i am just another one of those who have fallen in love with the movie and especially Gord Downie's "Hallelujah". Would you be able to send me a copy of the song too? Various members of our family have seen the film several times and we are going to show it again at Thanksgiving in a week or two! Why can't they release the soundtrack? Tell them to.

November 12, 2007 @ 12:57 AM

ERIC HOPPE

WHEN THIS AVALABLE LET ME KNOW IF I CAN HAVE A COPY THANKS ERIC

November 13, 2007 @ 5:21 AM

ERIC HOPPE

LIMEWIRE HAS IT

November 13, 2007 @ 5:31 AM

Kim

Could you send me the MP3 of the Hallelujah song

November 23, 2007 @ 12:57 PM

Thomas Chin

Hi Mike, like all the other who have ventured upon "Saint Ralph" he movie, we all have been mesmerized buy the soundtrack and specially with the background music overlay of HALLELUJAH! I would appreciate any infromation on how I may be able to get a copy of the soundtrack as well or the mp3 version mentioned above... thank you! Another deciple of your blog!

January 6, 2008 @ 10:15 AM

Toronto Mike

I recently corresponded with the gentleman trying to give this song an actual release and all I can tell everyone at this point is he'll tell me the moment there's news and I'll blog about it then.

For now, I'm only permitted to share the version ripped from the Saint Ralph DVD.

January 6, 2008 @ 10:42 AM

JR

Could you send me the MP3 of the Hallelujah song? Thank you.

January 12, 2008 @ 8:06 PM

earthe

After searching long and hard for a soundtrack for this wonderful movie, I finally found that it exists!
Unfortunately, I can't have it for myself...
Unlike you and many of the other people who have commented here, I wasn't looking for the version of Hallelujah that was in the movie. I was actually more interested in the song that was played throughout the movie, I think the first time it came up was when Walker was about to take a dive into the pool, with the guitar pattern repeating over and over and more instruments being added in.
But, unluckily for me, I don't know anyone else but you that would have it. I don't know where else to even start to look, heck, I don't even know the title of the song.

Hope that you get the thumbs up to share those songs soon, and if you could gift me with the title of that particular song, that would also be greatly appreciated :)

January 17, 2008 @ 8:51 PM

Kathy

Hi…

I too, found this site by searching for the Saint Ralph’s soundtrack. Would you email me the copy ripped from the DVD?

Thanks in advance.

February 1, 2008 @ 9:53 AM

Derek

I would love a copy of the mp3 from the DVD. This site is great! Thanks!

February 18, 2008 @ 9:42 PM

Chris Guz

Toronto Mike, Just in case you are keeping a list of emails to update when this album finally comes out... please add me to the list. I would love this album!! I was unable to download the DVD version from you so if you are able to send it via email, please do, thanks!!

February 28, 2008 @ 5:54 PM

Amy

Hi…

Thanks in advance!

February 29, 2008 @ 12:45 AM

Anonymous

Hey toronto mike,
Thanks for your commitment to keeping us downie fans enlightened on the happenings of hallelijua. Can you send me the mp3 version in the meantime?I've been a fan of this movie ever since its release and I just keep waiting for the song! Becky Rdickey@wingwalkerpr.com

March 7, 2008 @ 8:43 AM

Markus Dodek

Dear Toronto Mike,
Today "Saint Ralph" was broadcasted on german television. I was touched by the music and its magical harmony. I wanted to be the soundtrack, but I realized that it is not available. Is there a chance that you can share your songs with me?

Markus Dodek

March 15, 2008 @ 5:48 PM

Chris Jones

When is this song going to become available?

March 16, 2008 @ 3:25 PM

Mark Harrigan

I heard the Hallelujah song in Tel Aviv on March 25, 2008 going to the airport on Israel radio. I love the movie and the song and had no idea it was impossible to get. spent all morning today trying to get the song and no luck. Could you send me the copy you have. Why is it released in Israel and not North America.
Keep me updated. thanks

March 28, 2008 @ 11:05 AM

Mark Harrigan

Keep me updated. thanks

March 28, 2008 @ 11:06 AM

james vidal

I saw Saint Ralph and loved the overlooked little picture. It is a lot better than the usual stuff Hollywood churns out. But the one thing that really stood out above all else was Gord Downie's cover of Hallelujah. It is the best version of the song that I have heard and I am hoping that I can get a download of it.

April 5, 2008 @ 8:23 PM

JOhn Dingwell

Soundtrack Mike from Toronto.

I have been looking for a copy of Gord Downey's version since I saw the movie. I have, like many people, a collection of Hallelujah covers (I prefer k.d.lang's)but the movie version is perfect for the scene. Downey's version is rough, chopped and absolutely perfect for the scene when Ralph breathing is rough and chopped and he is looking for inspiration. Please email me the MP3 version you have, and thanks for being so generous to us with your time.

jsd

April 9, 2008 @ 10:13 AM

Flavio

Please, share this version!
Brazil wants too...

May 6, 2008 @ 7:20 AM

Mike

please send the mp3 .
I haven't paid for a song for at least 10 years but would buy this song ,( Gord Downie's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah), in a heart beat .
Thanks Mike
Mike

June 3, 2008 @ 4:15 AM

Rob Moran

Come on, for Christ's sake someone e-mail the CD quality of Gord's Hallelujah. Not my usual listening, but this is outstanding. Honestly, I will only forward it on to people I know, I think they all have to hear this at least once, and I think getting them to watch Saint Ralph in order to hear it is just not happening.

June 25, 2008 @ 8:36 PM

Robert

Keeping this alive. I'm still holding out out that somehow I'll be able to get my hands on the soundtrack version of this song. Please please anyone out there who can help please do.

July 19, 2008 @ 3:44 AM

Brad

Hi Mike

Would you be so kind to send me the mp3 of Gord Downie's cover of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. I too am moved to tears when the song plays and would love to have a copy.

Thanks.

July 19, 2008 @ 10:25 PM

Mike

I would love to have a ripped copy of the DVD for my ipod. Can you send that to me? Many thanks.
Traci

July 27, 2008 @ 12:45 PM

John Dingwell

Hi again Mike. Just checking in again to see if there has been any progress on a release. Have you ever been in contact with Downie? I wonder if he is aware of how many people are craving his version? Now that Leonard is on his "Every Dollar Counts" tour, what a nice gesture it would be to his royalities purse if Downie, or someone, released his version. Here's hoping. Thanks again for time.

July 29, 2008 @ 1:53 PM

Toronto Mike

I've had zero contact with Gord Downie, which is a shame because I've been a massive fan for decades.

I have a little insight as to why there won't be a release, but I can't divulge it.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one...

July 29, 2008 @ 2:12 PM

Robert

So since you say it appears there isn't going to be a release is there a possibility of this song/album FINALLY being shared?

It is a REAL long time coming. I love this song.

August 5, 2008 @ 5:42 AM

miguel

can you send me the ripped dvd version of hallelujau?

September 20, 2008 @ 10:38 PM

Amy Blizzard

I stumbled across your blog during one of my endless searches for this soundtrack. I envy you for having the actual studio recording! If you have the time and are able I would truly appreciate the ripped dvd version. I am just so happy that I am not the only one out there who was/is desperatly seeking this song!

September 22, 2008 @ 5:35 PM

av

This is available on the net, via torrent sites. I really have to say, the owner of this blog comes off as a real goof, bragging about the oh so special soundtrack, that he cant possible share, because it is so very special and lot of secret stuff, etc. It is a good song, but get some bloody perspective, it is just a song from a movie. It is all the more pathetic given you can just download the songs off the common torrent sites.

October 30, 2008 @ 11:24 PM

Toronto Mike

I am a real goof, but I challenge you to find this soundtrack on the torrent sites.

October 31, 2008 @ 8:57 AM

Adam Butcher

Hi Mike

My name is Adam Butcher. I played Ralph in Saint Ralph. Even I don't have a copy of the soundtrack. Write me.

October 31, 2008 @ 7:53 PM

Thomas

Hey Mike. I saw a preview for Saint Ralph on another movie and downloaded the full movie on iTunes almost immediately.

And I know it sounds trite, given all of the entries on this page, but the soundtrack was phenominal. I visited your link from your August 24th entry regarding the "imminent" release of the soundtrack. Anything new about that? I would certainly love to have that if it ever came out. This morning I found myself playing the end of the race scene in the movie and closing my eyes instead of watching the screen. It's a great movie--don't get me wrong--but I just listened to the "Hallelujah" song over and over again.

So let me know if you know anything else.

Also, could you please please please send me the mp3 that you ripped from the DVD? That would be fantastic...and at least a step in the right direction. Thanks!

October 31, 2008 @ 8:40 PM

Toronto Mike

My source, which is a very good source, said "imminent". I don't know much more, but I will drop him a line.

Adam, great work in this film! I just sent you an email.

October 31, 2008 @ 8:52 PM

Thomas

Ha ha. So....my next question would be what is the common definition of "imminent" in the media world? :)

October 31, 2008 @ 9:11 PM

Toronto Mike

In my experience, "imminent" takes longer in the media world than it does in the normal world.

October 31, 2008 @ 9:20 PM

Roderic

I would LOVE a copy of that song. I've liked that song anyway, but I just saw Saint Ralph tonight and loved it. My wife and I kept commenting on how much we enjoyed the music. If you can email that mp3, I'd love it! Thanks!

November 18, 2008 @ 2:13 AM

Kevin

I'd really like a copy of the Hallelujah mp3 and the song "three words" that was also in the film. Thanks!

November 22, 2008 @ 2:31 PM

Daniel Lapin

Hi Mike,

Please, please, please share this great song. We saw the movie today (which was great and uplifting). We've all heard the "Shrek" version, and Gordon Downie's version is far superior.

Thanks.

November 29, 2008 @ 5:51 PM

Nancy Belser

I'd love to have a copy of this song if you are still sending it out. Gord's version is the most moving. Thanks!

December 2, 2008 @ 5:02 PM

Robert

Hello, Mike! When you start sharing this soundtrack, I would really appreciate it if you could you send me too.
Thank you in advance!

December 16, 2008 @ 8:44 PM

Saint

Would love to have this soundtrack! Please help

Cheers

December 17, 2008 @ 2:06 AM

Kimberley M. Lang

Hi, Mike... I came across your website after an exhaustive search for Gord Downie's version of Hallelujah, and like all before me who've written to you, I absolutely adore this movie and its music! I understand that you are not able to share the polished version of Hallelujah with the public, but if possible, would you be so kind as to share with me the MP3 version? Believe me, even that would be the most wonderful Christmas present ever, and I'd be eternally grateful! Thank you so much, and Merry Christmas to you and yours! (*^_^*)

December 20, 2008 @ 7:11 PM

Melissa Anthony

Hi Mike, I am so happy to have found your site! I was hoping you would be able to email me a copy of your ripped Hallelujah. Thank you so much for being kind enough to do this for everyone!
Happy Holidays!

December 22, 2008 @ 5:17 PM

Allison Di Matteo

I also loved the movie and have been searching in vain for the soundtrack. If you are still sharing it, please advise. Thank you so much!!

December 22, 2008 @ 9:31 PM

Max

can you send me the track ''night running'' pleas

December 25, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

Max

can you send me the track ''night running'' please

December 25, 2008 @ 1:14 PM

Tony Abaragan

hi Mike, can i also request a copy of the soundtrack? Thank you so much.

December 31, 2008 @ 12:48 AM

me

Thank goodness I found this page!
I too love St. Ralph and really liked Hallelujah... There must be a version out there somewhere - the good people at House M.D. (tv show) used the song on one of their epis... Don't know if it was the gordon Downie version, but maybe it will be on the music CD they are releasing... who knows. Add em to the folks who would like a copy of the St. Ralph soundtrack. I may even have to go buy the DVD...

January 5, 2009 @ 12:36 PM

NTM

I got this movie for my parents for Christmas and they loved it. I was also struck by the cover of Hallelujah, which is one of my favorite songs, any chance I could get your to email it to me. They ought to release the soundtrack it is great.

January 9, 2009 @ 4:03 PM

dana

Hi.
I just received the movie for Christmas and love it!
I've looked for the soundtrack but have found your website instead and see that it is still not available for purchase yet.
If you have a copy of the Hallelujah cover and are willing to send it along I would really appreciate it.
Either way thanks for keeping this page up for all of the movie fans!
Dana

January 14, 2009 @ 11:53 PM

WDR

Could I please gt a copy of Hallelujah too?

Your blog is wonderful and the video clip was truly inspiring... now I have to see the whole movie.

January 22, 2009 @ 12:29 PM

No Fuss Russ

Might as well me to this as I've been looking for years for this version too!

February 8, 2009 @ 11:55 AM

Joe

Hi Mike,
Any chance you could email me that track? Absolutely brilliant!

Cheers,
Joe

February 11, 2009 @ 1:19 PM

Donna Mclarty

Hi Mike,

This is a great blog...kudos.

I just watched this movie...LOVED it and the soundtrack. If you are still sharing it, would you be so kind as to send it to me?
It is a shame that it isn't available anywhere else and you have all these people asking you for it.

Donna

February 15, 2009 @ 8:40 AM

linda

I just tried to post a request for the mp3 ripped version, Mike and it did not post.
Could you please send a copy?
thanx so much,
linda

February 22, 2009 @ 2:04 AM

Lindsey

Hey Mike! Absolutley love that song! I love anything Gord does! I would really appreciate a copy of that song if you could email it to me.

Thanks kindly!
Lindsey

March 1, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

GalPal

Any updates on the soundtrack release?? I checked your other blog entry and was disappointed not to find any additional info! Thanks!!

March 18, 2009 @ 3:39 PM

Toronto Mike

Unfortunately, all has gone quiet on that front. I was told it was "imminent" by someone who would know, but apparently "imminent" doesn't mean the same thing in all industries.

March 18, 2009 @ 3:44 PM

Toronto Mike

Oh... and while I'm on this page. The people behind Saint Ralph have put out another movie, One Week. The soundtrack to One Week is fantastic!

March 18, 2009 @ 3:46 PM

BillE

While I like Gord's rendition of Hallelujah, I do prefer the version recorded by Eoghan Quigg. It's only 3 verses, and his final verse is different from those in Gord's version, but it is beautifully sung with great passion and excellent instrumental backing.

Catch it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qs_LMrlqxs

May 8, 2009 @ 6:59 AM

skai84

I appreciate if you could send me the Gord's version of the cover song Hallelujah. I finished watching the movie couple of months ago, and been trying to get that version of song but could not. thx.

May 11, 2009 @ 12:30 AM

NancySue

I just watched St. Ralph and fell in love with the music. I would be most appreciative if you would email any of the songs you have that are on the soundtrack.

Thanks,
NancySue

June 9, 2009 @ 7:29 PM

Juan Carlos

would be very grateful if you send me a copy of the soundtrack, now thank you very much for your attention

June 13, 2009 @ 9:41 AM

Orlagh

I would love a copy of the soundtrack. How can I get it? Thanks

July 2, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

Orlagh

I would love a copy of the soundtrack. How can I get it? Thanks

July 2, 2009 @ 7:11 PM

kethdredd

Just saw this movie tonight and went to search for the song immediately afterward. Hope this will see the light of day soon!

July 19, 2009 @ 10:55 PM

T. Hunter

I first discovered and watched this movie a year ago. I too jumped off my couch as soon as it ended to seek out a copy of the "Hallelujah" cover. There are other wonderful versions of this song but none like the Gord Downie version. I was continuing my search today when I found this site. Isn't it amazing to see that an artist and a song can have such an impact on so many people.

July 29, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

Robert

I have literally been trying to get a hold of this song for years. If you or anyone else could send it to me I would love it.

August 9, 2009 @ 5:59 AM

X-Evolutionist

I have been wanting to have an mp3 of Gordon Downie singing Hallelujah from the second I heard it while I was watching Saint Ralph. Put me on the list of people who are really jealous because you have a copy. I am googling right now trying to see if it has ever been released. I would buy it the second I hear it is out. X

September 16, 2009 @ 6:53 PM

Jamie Herda

Could you please send me a copy of this song. My husband has had two brothers pass away in the past three months and we love this song. With many thanks,Jamie

October 17, 2009 @ 6:24 PM

pete

this soundtrack is something I'd love to have...It's poignant, fulfiling and for the movie...perfect! AND most importantly....unavailable!

November 6, 2009 @ 8:49 AM

adi

Hi, Saint Ralph movie has finaly got to this corner of the world, Romania. I've seen it a few times already and fell in love with it and especially with the Hallelujah song. I've serarched the net for it and I've found this site. Please, please, please, could Mike or someone else send me Gord's version of this song ripped from the DVD? Thank you very much, Adi

November 14, 2009 @ 3:21 AM

adi

Thank you very much, Mike. You've brighten my day. Hallelujah!

November 15, 2009 @ 5:26 AM

Bob Vrana

Mike, My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed "St. Ralph" last night and I went to the internet this morning to purchase the soundtrack--you know the rest of the story. We both love the entire sound track but especially Hallelujah. Please send the DVD version. Thank you very much. Bob from Nebraska

December 21, 2009 @ 12:38 PM

Sam

I'm still not able to find the soundtrack with this amazing song. Have you got any idea ?

December 30, 2009 @ 2:17 PM

wide screen portable dvd player

Hey Just want to drop you a big thanks for this post - beside here is like midnight(00:00) :D need to go sleep - again thanks for that post. Keep it up !

February 4, 2010 @ 6:10 PM

Bob

Three years and the demand for a Saint Ralph soundtrack continues. Please send me the ripped version of Hallelujah. It appears that's all we will ever be able to listen to. Odd that the music and film industry doesn't figure this out . . .

Thanks for being a rallying point for all us fans.

February 19, 2010 @ 12:38 AM

Becca

Could I have a copy of the ripped version? Thanks!

March 16, 2010 @ 10:30 PM

Chris B

I would love a copy too, if you have it floating around still. And I'm not sure whether anyone mentioned it (cause I didn't read through all the comments), but do yourselves a favour and go see One Week with Joshua Jackson. It's done by the same guy who did St. Ralph, Michael McGowan. And it's a great movie too.

March 18, 2010 @ 10:14 AM

Andrea

If you're still sending copies of that song. I'd be forever grateful! I am in love with that version!

May 4, 2010 @ 1:20 AM

Andrea

May 4, 2010 @ 1:22 AM

Julie Illinois

I have to have a copy, I love the movie and the song.

If you wouldn't mind sharing...

May 10, 2010 @ 9:27 AM

Louiza

Can I have a copy too, I love the movie and the song.

May 11, 2010 @ 10:57 AM

Jong Tong

Please send a copy of the ripped soundtrack. After watching St Ralph, I just have to have that song. Thanks

May 12, 2010 @ 8:46 PM

Johan

This must be the hardest song to get on the internet. Looked around for hours. Would be forever greatful if someone could send it to me to.

May 20, 2010 @ 2:11 PM

Kevin Waldron

Mike, would much appreciate it if you could send me the mp3 of Gordie's version - thanks so much. Kevin

May 26, 2010 @ 12:16 AM

rick salas

toronto mike - any news about the saint ralph soundtrack? Just heard another version of Hallelujah and looked up again to check if it had finally been released!

June 20, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

rick salas

June 20, 2010 @ 11:32 PM

david richards

Hey there, well as many others have i was blown away by this version and went to get soundtrack. Knew it didnt exist when didnt come up. Would love the ripped version when you have the time, what a beautiful version.

June 22, 2010 @ 6:27 PM

Jane Buch

Just saw St.Ralph at a film festival at Chautauqua, NY which featured the TFF.......Adam Butcher was there and did a Q & A.....22 years old and we are still waiting for the sound track! Of course, I fell in love with the film and music. Hard to believe my only hope is your ripped version of Hallelujah.....would ya, would ya send it to me? Thanks and hopeful. Jane

June 22, 2010 @ 9:54 PM

todd t

i'd love to get my hands on these beauties!

July 25, 2010 @ 12:05 AM

Carl

I am going crazy trying to find this song :( Well whenever you are ready to send it out :) please send one to me!

July 28, 2010 @ 1:29 AM

Henry Clark

I love this soundtrack and have been looking for it for a while....come on rip the darn thing and sell some bootleg copies!

August 5, 2010 @ 10:04 PM

Court

WOuld you be so kind as to send me the ripped version? It would be much appreciated! Thankyou

August 23, 2010 @ 10:05 AM

Dennis

Please Please send me the song. I have been searching for it for years, the other versions of the song just don't compare. Please help me out.

October 9, 2010 @ 1:36 PM

Steve

What about now?

November 2, 2010 @ 4:21 PM

Navin Sadarangani

Hi Mike,
I just saw this movie and loved the soundtrack. I understand you're unwilling to share the soundtrack given to you. If so, can you please send me the ripped version of the entire ost. Thanks.
Navin.

December 21, 2010 @ 9:26 PM

Whatever

I think whoever made this movie and has the ability to share that song and won't are screwed up in the head.
This is all about greed and money. Those like Gord who won't allow it to be released or whould have to share money with Cohen or any of those who made the movie can just stay in their little shells.
My mother watched this movie after I suggested it to her and fell in love with that song. She's not getting any younger and just wants to listen to it.....but all of you involoved with this movie and song are just idiots. I wouldv't bought anything I had to at almost any price just for this one song....
I am making a note about those involved with the movie and will boycot anything else they do in the future.
This is the problem with "decent Canadians" they just as greedy as anyone else.
All of you people should learn a few lessons from the likes of GREAT Canadians like GORDON LIGHTFOOT!
That is a TRUE GORD!
You should be ashamed - I'm done with you people.....

December 26, 2010 @ 11:16 AM

Jessica G

like everyone else, would you be willing to send me the ripped version? love the movie, love the song :) thanks!

January 22, 2011 @ 2:53 AM

Michael

I just saw the movie here in Switzerland on tv and went to the internet to search for the soundtrack and so found this thread,
Like everyone else, would you be willing to send me the ripped version?
Thank you very much!

March 6, 2011 @ 4:06 PM

Hidan

I just saw the movie and I am amazed how great the song is. Could someone please email it?
iuly.lion@yahoo.com
I would be very grateful.

April 24, 2011 @ 5:18 PM

Nik

I ran into Gord Downie in Toronto in summer of 2005. My friends and I walked past as he stood in the entryway of a cathedral on Bloor. I said aloud "Hey, that was Gord Downie. Lets say hi". While the others were hesitant, I had a question I wanted to ask him: where can I get a copy of your cover of Hallelujah from Saint Ralph? (I had just seen the film 2 weeks before at the Review Cinema) He was very approachable but was not pleased when I told him that I had exhausted my search for the soundtrack and had come up empty. He said he was told that there would be a soundtrack. I told him it was the best version of the song I had ever heard. He replied, to my surprise, that he had never actually heard the original before he recorded it himself. I suggested he put the track on his next solo project but he said he'd look into the Saint Ralph soundtrack first, thanked me for bringing this to his attention and shook our hands. He's had 3 solo albums since...

June 22, 2011 @ 9:10 PM

Kathy

I just saw Saint Ralph for the first time. The first time I heard Hallelujah was the Canadian Tenors version which I love but Gord Downie does it even better. Can I get it anywhere?

October 2, 2011 @ 5:04 PM

John

Can I get the mp3 version of the hallelujah song. I read that you shared it with others. The one cut from the DVD?

October 30, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

Vinigula

I am trying to get this song.
Help a brother out.

December 10, 2011 @ 9:01 PM

Kevin

i saw this movie 5 years ago in a religion class and recently saw it again. I've been looking for the soundtrack, but have been unable to locate it. Could you please at least send me the cover of Hallelujah? It would be a great way to start the new year listening to it.

December 31, 2011 @ 11:44 PM

Alex

Please email me a copy of the ripped song "hallelujah" this entire blog begs of the original but settles. The wait continues even into tomorrow. Thank you so much!

January 31, 2012 @ 12:13 AM

Paul

Toronto Mike, I would really like having a copy of this song. Will you please be so kind as to e-mail it to me? Thank you so much.

March 14, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Andy

If you still sending out the ripped version, I'd really appreciate a copy too! Thanks in advance.

April 14, 2012 @ 10:30 PM

AnotherMike

Please send me the song too! Such a beautiful song.

July 5, 2012 @ 9:06 AM

It's been years!

Please post the cd version now! It's been years!

July 6, 2012 @ 8:11 PM

ann wright

Can you print or email me the
Gordon Downie lyrics to Hallelujah? They are different than the Cohen version aren't they?

September 12, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

Simon

Could you please send me the ripped version, too? I'm looking for it for a very long time. Hope you can help me...

January 9, 2013 @ 1:44 PM

Jenn

I was wondering if the gifter of the cd would finally let u share hallelujah now since that post was all the way back in 2007, or if u have any news about the soundtrack being other places or was ever released/still going to be released

March 5, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

Katie

outstanding job, Mike, at being so generous and faithful all these years to so many frustrated fans! I just don't get it! please send me the song version and let us know when, if ever, the CD is released.

April 25, 2013 @ 4:27 PM

Simon

Hey Mike,

are there any news if the soundtrack will be released? And could you please send me the long version to my e-mail-account?
Thanks and greets from Germany

September 28, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

Sherwin

Hi! I just discovered this enormous comment thread, by chance, almost exactly SEVEN years after the first comment. I read the whole thing with a sense of gathering drama. Everybody wants THAT TRACK. Everybody is asking to add their name to some possible future mailing list about its release. About mid-way through the thread I laughed out loud when the actual actor who played Ralph in the movie chimed in. I was astonished when someone recounted that they actually bumped into Gord Downie on the street and inquired about this. And I thought for certain that by now - 2014 - the track would have been released. But there was no resolution. We're still where we were SEVEN YEARS ago. Amazing.

Now, I am someone who believes in that quote by Gandhi that you have to be the change you want to see in the world. I am a firm believer that good things happen when good people take action. I would like to get this track released for the public to purchase and enjoy. I am happy to spend time tracking down the rights holder.

One difficulty I face is that I am a nobody. I am not famous and haven't done many notable things. But this is 2014. People are tweeting insults to celebrities all the time. Celebs are more accessible than ever. I am certain that I know somebody who knows somebody who can get word to someone who can do something about this. I'll ask on Facebook.

I am wondering actually if it's even Gord Downie who I should contact. It seems to me that he might not even have the rights to the song anymore. Is it the director, Michael McGowan who I should contact? I suspect that the release of the soundtrack was complicated because it might not have been worth it, financially, to release the soundtrack, so many years after the movie came out. And now, this is SIX years later. Probably the legalities around this song might be a gnarled knot that no one wants to revisit and untangle.

But there are things we can do to pressure the release of this single. One eloquent blogpost about this Unreleasable Track that goes viral will do it. When reporters start asking Gord Downie about this version, and why it goes unreleased, things will happen. When Michael McGowan or Gord Downie want to flog their new cultural products, but all anyone wants to talk about is this track - that will do it. They might even release the track, just to make it go away.

So is there a rights lawyer here who can tell me who I should contact first? Gord Downie? Michael McGowan? Alliance Atlantis? Ellchris Records? First Artists Management? Andrew Lockington? I am happy to send them a gentle query through their respective publishers/guilds/labels. Someone just push me in the right direction. Email me at inconsolablecat (aattt) hotmail (doooot) com. I am your tenacious bastard.

February 17, 2014 @ 1:09 AM

Sherwin

Oh, I just saw that you played the short version on your podcast. Forget I said anything. I hope you play the long version one day. Thanks!

February 17, 2014 @ 7:00 PM

Yes, I played the song in its entirety during episode 19 of my podcast: http://www.torontomike.com/2012/12/toronto_miked_podcast_episode_19.html

February 17, 2014 @ 10:04 PM

Veronique

as it's been said before...Hallelujah !!! ;-)

June 13, 2014 @ 12:23 AM

John

Would you please share the Gord Downie version of Hallelujah with me? This song, this rendition, of all the versions available, is the best version. Thanks.

June 21, 2014 @ 6:34 AM

Daniel

Mike

I've been looking for the Hallelujah sound track from the Saint Ralph movie for a few years, and I cannot clock cross this blog that has comments from eight years ago. Could you please send me the ripped version of hallelujah from the same Saint Ralph movie, too? I'm looking for it for a very long time. Also has this ever been released it is 2015?

January 7, 2015 @ 11:49 AM

@Daniel

Email sent.

It's safe to say at this point that this soundtrack will never get released.

January 7, 2015 @ 11:52 AM

Katie Spendel

Hi Mike,

I found your blog years ago about the soundtrack and just recently thought of the song again. Are you still emailing ripped copies? I love the version of Hallelujah, if you could possibly send it I would greatly appreciate it!

January 11, 2015 @ 11:57 PM

Mel

Hi Toronto Mike (cool name BTW),

Just saw 'Saint Ralph' again on cable. It is a such a good movie, and it really hit home for me. My mom had a brain tumor for many years, and I took care of her until she passed away last year. The scene where Ralph Walker is yelling at his mom to "wake up" hit me hard, because I did the same thing with my mom, too. I really loved the incidental music (the light, breezy theme that starts with the drums, then adds guitar, and then piano or flute); it's just really good stuff. I didn't care for 'Hallelujah' at first, but now I think it goes perfectly with the race scenes. Campbell Scott and Jennifer Tilly are perfect also. The final scene of Ralph running with Fr. Hibbard biking beside him is great. And the final scene where Ralph "becomes" 'Saint Ralph' is awesome. Thanks to everyone involved with this film and especially to Campbell Scott and of course, Adam Butcher, for outstanding work. This film meant a lot to me, and has become my favorite.

February 19, 2015 @ 11:02 PM

Merardo

Hello Dear.,
Could you please send me the audio Mp3 of the song " Three Words"
Thank you !

Best Regards

April 4, 2015 @ 4:49 PM

Tina Harrell

Can you send individual mp3's of each track? I absolutely LOVE this film and ALL the music therein. I wonder if the composer has any say in its release? Frustrating to have such awesome music in a such a meaningful film NOT be available to those who fell in love with it all. Thanks and blessings, Tina

June 22, 2015 @ 3:46 PM