Every Monday I shuffle my entire MP3 collection in iTunes and list the first ten songs that play. Here are the ten tunes I heard today with a personal story about one of them.
- She's Leaving Home - The Beatles
- Tell Me - Beenie Man
- The Brother's Cup - Red Hot Chili Peppers
- (Putting Up With) The Joneses - Spirit of the West
- Vancouver Divorce - Gordon Downie
- Bitches - Ice-T
- Down - 311
- Highway Girl - The Tragically Hip
- Are You Happy - Iron Butterfly
- Smash It Up - The Offspring
Is there a better way to kill 17:02 than to spin "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly? From a very young age, I was a sucker for this song. I bought the album "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" for the one tune.
In 1995 with "The Simpsons" still in its prime, I sat down to watch episode 3F02, "Bart Sells His Soul". The opening scene featured Mrs. Feesh playing "In the Garden of Eden," by I. Ron Butterfly "fresh from God's brain to your mouth". I subsequently purchased "Songs in the Key of Springfield" which features the song and it remains one of my favourite Springfield parodies to date.
"I want you to clean every one of these organ pipes that you have befouled with your popular music."