Win It For

Win it for Damon. We wanted Ed O'Bannon, but Isiah knew better.

Win it for Doug. In those early days, he didn't get nearly enough credit. He was the glue when a terrible team was playing in the dome.

Win it for T-Mac. Like a comet, he shone brightly for a very short time, before heading for home.

Win it for Vince. He was half man, half amazing, and put us on the NBA map.

Win it for Oak. He cost us Camby, but provided a veteran presence to a young team on the rise.

Win it for Mo Pete. Only one man played more games for the Raps, and in an era where the most exciting moment was a slam dunk competition, he gave us the miracle.

Win it for JYD. He drove through a snowstorm from Detroit to join us and I'll always love that guy.

Win it for Chris. In the post-Vince era, he was the star. Nobody pulled down more rebounds or blocked more shots, and only one man scored more points.

Win it for José. Only one man played more seasons for the Raps, and nobody gave more.

Win it for Jonas, T Ross, Delon, C.J., Jakob, Greivis, and all who had to go in order to build our 2018-19 Toronto Raptors.

Win it for DeMar. No Raptor has played more games for the franchise, played more minutes, scored more points or played more seasons. He improved every season, leading us to within two wins of the finals and, when all hope was lost, he got us. Most of all, win it for him.

But most of all, win it for James

matt

I know people that have been supporting the raps for a long time, through the dark times. I really hope they win it for them.

June 8, 2019 @ 1:14 PM

chris

Also win it for Dwayne Casey who had to do with this team progressing in the past.
But most of all win it for Toronto.

June 8, 2019 @ 1:35 PM

Urooj Islam

Win it for Chuck Swirsky, Rob Babcock (RIP) and Rafael Araujo!

June 8, 2019 @ 4:11 PM

Win it for Acie Earl, who got me all excited when he dropped 40 points against the Celtics.

June 8, 2019 @ 4:22 PM

mdoucette77

@TorontoMike: Acie Earl! Man, I remember that first year. Maybe it's because those were the early days of overhyped Toronto athletes, but they were a decent team. I remember Acie Earl making a bet that he wouldn't cut his hair until the Raptors won 3 in a row. My friend and I laughed and wished the Raptors never won 3 in a row again, just to see how long his hair got!

Want to throw out a name?! Zan Tabak. He was my favourite that first year. And Tracey Murray. Also liked him (and John Wallace. Both were quality 6-men)

June 8, 2019 @ 4:55 PM

susan

Well said Mike!

June 8, 2019 @ 5:09 PM

@mdoucette77

I recorded the first game to VHS. Tabak started at centre!

June 8, 2019 @ 5:19 PM

Urooj Islam

Don't win it for Andrea Bargnani!

June 8, 2019 @ 5:19 PM

Annonomass

@ Urooj NOT Chuck Swirsky. He left Toronto due to "family commitments"
Well. the family commitments were that the Bulls offered him more $$$ so he dropped the Raptors like a bad habit. Now you know the rest of the story.

June 8, 2019 @ 5:23 PM

Urooj Islam

@Annonomass

He was going through a divorce at the time and wanted to move his kids closer to home and family which is more than understandable. Trust me, he's not making more money calling Bulls games on the radio in Chicago than he was broadcasting Raptors games on TV here.

I will never forget the passion he brought to Raptors broadcasts when the teams were unwatchable and we really needed it to enjoy the games. Onions baby onions! Get out the salami and cheese mama! Plus, he was a great guy, I used to see him all the time at Bloor station when he was doing his afternoon radio show on the Fan, always was approachable and would talk Raptors with you when very few in the city wanted to. He signed an autograph for me as well.

June 8, 2019 @ 6:00 PM

mdoucette77

Oh, I know Zan was the starter. Usurped by Big O, but they were a (for the 90s) decent front court.

June 8, 2019 @ 8:24 PM

Remember when BJ Armstrong refused to come here in that first season?

June 9, 2019 @ 8:19 AM

Jamally

Win it for every single Raptors fan who had to deal with any basketball conversation on tv or radio in Canada using a hockey analogy.

Win it for guys like me who were told the NBA wouldn't work in Toronto.

Win it for the Al Strachan's of the world who think hockey will dominate Toronto forever (note: it won't), so fuck off Al...we ain't winning it for your old, white ass.

June 9, 2019 @ 8:45 AM

@Jamally

At least they never said Kawhi Leonard was a healthy scratch.

June 9, 2019 @ 9:13 AM

Rick aka The_ElevatorMan

Well said. Two games that stands out to me were when the Raptors for some reason played a game at Maple Leaf Gardens. They had a HORRIBLE game. The fans booed relentlessly. I can't remember who exactly, but at the end of the game, maybe the GM got on the court, grabbed a microphone and on the public sound system apologized for the performance and said things would get better.

The other game, must have been season 1 or 2 - still at SkyDome - team went 0 for 3 from the free throw line for the entire game. That's it. ZERO points on free throws.

This will be fun if they can pull it off.

June 9, 2019 @ 11:24 AM

Biggest Fan

Do it for MIKE KIC!!!!!
You know Mike, that if mother fucking cancer didn’t take him so soon, the two of you would be going absolutely crazy right now.
Fuck you cancer!
LETS DO THIS THING!!!!!

June 9, 2019 @ 1:07 PM

dale

Just watched the media conf. with the Raptors & a comment was made that made me cringe.
Kyle Lowry said "if we win this would be the 1st major title for Canada in the major sports since 1993 when the MONTREAL EXPOS won & Canada went crazy".
Kyle you have played in Toronto for 7-8 years & didn't know about the Jays winning in 92 & 93??????

LINK

June 9, 2019 @ 2:33 PM

collingwood dave

@ Jamally, is it safe to assume you don't like hockey or white people ?

June 9, 2019 @ 3:25 PM

@dale

Kyle was 7 years old in '93. I'm going to cut him some slack on this one.

June 9, 2019 @ 3:42 PM

Justin

There will be several former Raptors players at the ACC on Monday. I don’t think it’ll happen, but it would be amazing to have DeMar in the house, where the fans will doubtlessly give him a long standing ovation. It’d be a great moment and a fitting one too. DeRozan deserves it.

June 9, 2019 @ 4:32 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

Plus, he's from Philadelphia!

I'm not sure the 1993 World Series was a pleasant experience for that city.

June 9, 2019 @ 4:35 PM

LieveFamke

@Mike, who is that a pic of? James?

June 9, 2019 @ 4:51 PM

@LieveFamke

Yep... that's a young James. If you hover over the image, there's a secret message I'm elaborating on tomorrow...

June 9, 2019 @ 6:14 PM

LieveFamke

Ahhh sweet message.

June 9, 2019 @ 8:15 PM

James Edgar

Very cool and to add top the coolness I'm a James too!

June 9, 2019 @ 10:52 PM