Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 472: John Pollock and Wai Ting

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 472In this 472nd episode, Mike is joined by Milon Talsania as they converse with John Pollock and Wai Ting from POST Wrestling. This episode is exactly 2:12:10.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

John Pollock and Wai Ting and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou, Camp Tournesol and Kapadia LLP.

Palma Pasta   glb   StickerYou   Camp Tournesol

Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   Kapadia LLP   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Anonymous

Johnny Polo and Cowboy Wai Ting!!!

June 1, 2019 @ 12:31 AM

Nicole

I was truly looking forward to this, but then I noticed a paid advertiser has gotten his way on the show. That kind of spoils it for me. I get if you want to give paid advertisers a bonus show, but integrating them into the regular rotation?

Mike, you can say he’s there because he’s a great interviewer et al, but he wouldn’t be here if he wasn’t part of the show. You got on Steven Brunt for weeks about being soft on Rogers, how is this any different?

Sorry, if it was someone who genuinely improved the show I’d say great, but it’s someone who pays to be on it, and you’ve rallied against that sort of treatment in the past with the TSN/ Bell stuff

June 1, 2019 @ 8:01 AM

@Nicole

I can honestly say Milon's on this episode not because he's a sponsor but because he's a very well spoken wrestling fanatic who listens to everything John and Wai release. I needed a subject matter expert to do this justice.

In fact, I'm willing to bet if you listened you'd agree how much better he made this episode. Without him, I'd be spending two hours talking about Macho Man and Big John Stud.

And respectfully, this is different from when I criticized Brunt for the Shapiro piece. Firstly, Brunt's a journalist, and secondly, I disclose that Milon is a sponsor and this episode isn't about watch repair but a wrestling podcast and the current state of professional wrestling.

June 1, 2019 @ 9:09 AM

Urooj Islam

I've been suggesting them for years and Milon gets the credit? Ugh.

You posted this only 5 months ago!

"Honestly, I do not know the names John Pollock and Wai Ting. This must just be ignorance on my part. but when I don't know someone exists, I don't invite them on my podcast. :)"

June 1, 2019 @ 3:23 PM

@Urooj Islam

I didn't know their names five months go. Milon shot me an email with their email addresses on April 11.

Again, I don't follow wrestling at all, so these guys weren't at all on my radar. I don't think I would have done this ep without Milon, because I really needed a subject matter expert to do it justice.

I'm glad I met them, though. Very nice guys, and inspiring!

June 1, 2019 @ 4:03 PM

Anna

I believe I recommended John as well after they were shut down by their previous employer, but no big deal.

I completely get the push back on sponsorship getting access. We signed up for Toronto Mike, not Toronto Mike and the people who pay to be on his show. Mike, you can do anything you want, it’s your show and your time, but let’s just call a spade a spade.

You integrated sponsors into other shows that you could have had more educated, interesting guests on (you had both sponsors on a sports media Roundtable months ago, the fact that they were both show sponsors a coincidence? Common man. It’s very obvious a strategy, and probably a financially smart one, but acting otherwise is a bit dishonest

I don’t care that much because I’ll just delete or not download the podcast, but I totally get the push back, it’s justified.

June 2, 2019 @ 10:09 AM

I really wish you would all listen before criticising Milon's involvement. We didn't talk about Fast Time any more than we normally would, and one listen and you'd wish he'd start his own wrestling podcast. He truly is a subject matter expert and I don't think I would have nor could have done this episode without him.

June 2, 2019 @ 10:26 AM

Regardless, John Pollock wrote these kinds words about their appearance. Says it's one of his favourite interviews, ever. I thought it was pretty fantastic, too.

June 2, 2019 @ 10:32 AM

Gorilla Monsoon

All I know is that the time Big John Studd and Olympic strongman Ken Patera cut Andre the Giant’s hair... what a disposable act that was! 😡

June 2, 2019 @ 1:03 PM

Gorilla Monsoon

June 2, 2019 @ 1:03 PM

Brent Cardy

I have not listened to the full episode yet. However I did suggest to Milon that he should be along side Mike for this interview as well. I have had the pleasure of speaking to Milon about Wrestling on my Podcast a few times and he has been outstanding and knowledgeable every time. Milon didn’t pay me a nickel for those appearances. Milon is an all around great dude. I hope people can see that. I get what people are saying but it is not about Milon paying to be on the show. Not even close.

June 2, 2019 @ 5:47 PM

Brent Cardy

June 2, 2019 @ 5:47 PM

And for the record, Milon didn't pay me to be on this episode, either.

June 2, 2019 @ 7:06 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

It's just weird that you were so dismissive of them previously and claimed to not even know who they were just months before having them on the show.

I've suggested them a bunch of time since 2017 and got the same dismissive tone in the response each time from you.

June 2, 2019 @ 7:17 PM

@Urooj Islam

I'm just really busy and pursuing guests I'm familiar with, so sometimes when I get names I don't recognize tossed at me I dismiss 'em.

On April 11, I got an email from Milon explaining why they're good guests and telling me John and Wai's email addresses. He gave me the right amount of context and made it easy to email them. So I did.

I don't know what more to say except I'm sorry for ignoring you because they were good guests. Sometimes it's the right context at the right time that gets me to send over the invitation.

June 2, 2019 @ 7:39 PM

Urooj Islam

@Toronto Mike

No problem, I was just surprised that someone with your GTA media knowledge would never have heard of John Pollock and Wai Ting. even through someone like Jason Agnew.

John and Jason worked together on the LAW for 2 decades and they were on several prominent stations through the years like AM640, CFRB1010, TSN 1050, The Score's Hardcore Sports radio and maybe even some others so I thought you'd have heard of them from somewhere over the last 20 years.

June 2, 2019 @ 9:26 PM

@Urooj Islam

I primarily follow Agnew's career because I've known him since he was in high school.

I've never heard a single minute of LAW.

June 2, 2019 @ 10:06 PM

LieveFamke

Where were all the complaints when Troy and Peter from GLB came on??

It seems the bigger you get, the more grief you get!

June 3, 2019 @ 8:44 AM

@LieveFamke

Definitely an uptick in grief lately....

June 3, 2019 @ 8:50 AM

LieveFamke

Well yes.. and your Raptors lost...

June 3, 2019 @ 9:13 AM

Nat

I loved this episode - especially the deep dive wrestling content part of the conversation.

June 4, 2019 @ 12:31 PM

James

I totally get the complains, but end of day its Mike's podcast and he can do what he wants.

If he choses to allow sponsors to pay their way onto the show, thats his call, not ours.

The only issue ill give Mike is when he suggests that anything outside of sponsorship got people on the podcast. I don't think your being dishonest Mike when you suggest that some sponsors offer value, but the end of the day they are sponsors, and you've been trying to find a way to integrate them on your podcast more and more (the sponsor block is something like 30 min now).

You have to be honest here, you can't suggest that the Real Estate guy and the Watch guy (sorry, no disrespect meant, I honestly don't remember their names) are more qualified and more knowledgeable then others to be part of a 'sports media round table'. It was a way for you to reward/integrate sponsors at a higher level, its smart marketing, but they were on their because they pay you to be a sponsor, nothing more, nothing less. No issue with it, but lets just be honest about it.

Another example is you thought the watch gentleman was the most qualified to talk wrestling with John/Way, yet a few posts later talk about knowing Jason Agnew since high school. Id think that the former host of a wrestling show that featured both John and Way would be significantly qualified to co-host with you, no? I get it, you want to reward sponsors who support you with 'value adds', its logical and makes more sense, But that's why they are there, not because they are 'the best candidate'. If it was based on 'the best candidate', Agnew would be the guy over watch guy.

June 5, 2019 @ 4:38 PM

@James

Did you listen to this ep?

June 5, 2019 @ 7:06 PM

jj

James - it's just lazy to say the watch guy and the real estate guy.

Bruh, y'all are doing too much on this episode. Milon and Brian have guested maybe 3 times each?!!? In over 500 episodes?! Mike would have them on waaaaaay more if they paid to always come on. Mike does make $ off of Toronto Mike'd but it is also his passion project and baby, so he will continue to do as he pleases.

June 5, 2019 @ 9:00 PM

I've noticed with this episode that there are zero complaints from people who listened. In fact, it's been the opposite. Wrestling fans are digging this episode.

In all honesty, I asked Milon to co-host because he's a well-spoken wrestling fanatic who loves John and Wai's work. Agnew wasn't even an option. I've listened back and I sincerely believe Milon made this episode better.

If you've listened and you have an issue with Milon's involvement, please let me know.

June 5, 2019 @ 10:05 PM