Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 471: Marc Weisblott from 12:36

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 471In this 471st episode, Mike chats with Marc Weisblott from 12:36 about the current state of media in Canada and what you oughta know, but first, a tribute to Dave "Bookie" Bookman. This episode is exactly 2:37:31.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Marc Weisblott and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou, Camp Tournesol and Kapadia LLP.

Palma Pasta   glb   StickerYou   Camp Tournesol

Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   Kapadia LLP   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

jj

Cannot wait to listen.

May 30, 2019 @ 6:31 PM

markosaar

1. Does this mean we'll never hear Kim Hughes on Toronto Mike'd?

2. The last song I personally remember Bookman introducing on 102.1 (late 90s): Therapy? - Church of Noise ... very different from the stuff you guys were playing of his!

May 30, 2019 @ 10:12 PM

@markosaar

I'll get Kim Hughes on Toronto Mike'd. My buddy Jim Slotek knows her well from his Original-Cin project.

May 30, 2019 @ 10:39 PM

Urooj Islam

Continued Chair Girl updates? Papa 12:36 being name checked by and influencing one of the great modern philosophers?

This podcast continues to get better and better.

Also, really touching tribute to 12:36's childhood friend as well, that was beautiful, man. RIP Dan Cohen. We all have those relationships where we haven't spoken to or seen the person in years if not decades but when you think of them, you are just thankful to have had them in your life when you did. High school is usually one of those times where you are thankful for the anchors you had and Dan Cohen seemed to be one for you, Marc, during your guitar class.

May 31, 2019 @ 8:33 AM

Brandon

This was a fantastic listen on a warm Thursday night. I always enjoy 12:36's appearances and the meaty running time with the deep-diving. The tribute to Dave "Bookie" Bookman really went beyond the printed tribute and obit coverages seen recently - you got a great sense of him. Nice idea to devote a chunk of this episode to that.

I found this archival newspaper article from the Ottawa Citizen of December 4, 1987 where the middle "bullet point" section is about Bookie at the time. Hilariously enough (to me, anyway), frosty "friend of the show" Molly Johnson is also featured in this article for her "Alta Moda" work - she will not be distanced from the podcast so easily. :)

May 31, 2019 @ 9:03 AM

@1236

there you go — I knew he did minor hockey radio colour commentary for a bit, it didn’t stick that it was in Oshawa (rather than Ottawa) … shifts at the record store that put out his album would’ve made sense, though: Mike Star of Star Records a notable of his own, died in 2015

May 31, 2019 @ 9:36 AM

wade

@1236

Mike Starr introduced many of us late teen Oshawa rockers to the "New Wave", i.e. the Clash, the Jam, Graham Parsons. He was an incredible record store owner.

May 31, 2019 @ 1:41 PM

wade

@1236
Mike Starr was a big influence on the musical tastes of us late teen Oshawa rockers. He introduced me and my buds every Friday night when we received our pay to his recommendations. I discovered the "New Wave" or alternative from him, i.e. The Clash, The Jam, CFNY 102.1, Graham Parsons, etc. He ran a terrific record store and was a hell of a guy to boot.

May 31, 2019 @ 2:03 PM

LieveFamke

Another great episode with 12:36!
I really enjoyed the tribute to Bookie - it was a nice that you (Mike) took a backseat and let Marc run with his tribute.

May 31, 2019 @ 7:10 PM

Blair

Typical brilliance. RIP Bookie, Dan Cohen and Mike Star (and @photoblair on the twitter). Listening to Marc's high school experience struck a nerve. Experiential kinship. It seems like if I'd gone to school near Bayview Village we might've shared a lunch table. As it was, I just had to turn him down for a job at Music World (although it was probably Grant, the manager).

On to June...

May 31, 2019 @ 10:19 PM

dunf

Consider this one firm vote for The 'Blott's own podcast.

Just say when and where.

June 1, 2019 @ 9:32 PM

jj

I loved this episode- tribute to Bookie was wonderful, and personally I love the obituaries - don't ask me why! :) Also, the comment about Gino's brother getting his sloppy seconds was hilarious!!

June 2, 2019 @ 1:14 PM

Justin

Amazing tribute to Bookie. I only caught occasional bits of him on the radio but I really appreciated what he brought to the table: someone who lived for the music and who was extremely passionate about what he was playing. That type of radio personality has been fading away for a long time. Bookie was one of the good guys, and of all the tributes to him floating around, this one was the most moving. Very well done.

June 3, 2019 @ 4:08 PM

Chuck 99

I am glad you mention the obits in order from youngest to oldest. It would have been a downer to end the show talking about the two former new anchors who died way too soon.

June 3, 2019 @ 6:23 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Love Marc's enthusiasm and content, his personal connection to bookie(full disclosure I may have listened to Bookie a few times over the years but wasn't a faithful listener) really showed what a great guy he was (affirmed by Geets's comments).
Don't ever think of giving up the obits Marc, as a fan approaching 60, I may need to start with the Obits in the paper soon, like my 93 year old father!

June 7, 2019 @ 7:16 PM