Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 459: Marc Weisblott from 12:36

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 459In this 459th episode, Mike chats with Marc Weisblott from 12:36 about the current state of media in Canada and what you oughta know. This episode is exactly 2:34:52.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Marc Weisblott and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, StickerYou and Camp Tournesol.

Palma Pasta   glb   Camp Tournesol
Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair   StickerYou   propertyinthesix

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jody Thornton

Great! Appointment listening this evening. You sir, are the best
(Both Mike and Marc may take a bow to that comment ...lol)

April 30, 2019 @ 5:48 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Glad to see that at least one very media savvy observer pointed out the obvious similarities between
Streetheart's cover of "Nature's Way" and Cheap Trick's late eighties certifiable panty-dropper
career preserving nugget "The Flame(!!)" I wonder if the latter track's original songwriters and producer Richie Zito have been alerted to this yet? Although it's not like there is any real cheddar to be made by either of these entities at this point in time! P.S., kinda ironic that the former song was written and recorded by the long-defunct Californian group Spirit, as the heirs of bandleader Randy
California have long been involved in an ongoing lawsuit with Led Zeppelin over the similarities
between their tune "Taurus" and the mighty Zep's "Stairway to Prom's Last Dance"(?)

And as for Chair Girl, as I've already written on a couple of other occasions, if this 'saga' had occurred twenty years ago, well, we'd undoubtedly be on the cusp of some kind of inevitable
multi-page Playboy spread, presumably staged on a balcony and with plenty of shots of appropriate chair action!!

May 1, 2019 @ 10:00 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Glad to see that Shawn Smith's sad passing was included in the annual monthly memorial roundup.
He was definitely a talent who deserved to be known for a lot more than being a member of a Pearl Jam offshoot group. This dude was apparently (near) homeless and couch-surfing with friends
at the time of his death.

May 1, 2019 @ 10:50 AM

bsmntdwllr73

Obviously my two previous comments should have been typed out with the opening line of
"glad to hear" rather than "glad to see". Clearly the growing mold issue in my less-than-hospitable
Parkdalian abode is starting to have an averse effect!!!

May 1, 2019 @ 10:53 AM

jj

I couldn't tell if Marc was serious or joking about the lyrical content in Nav's music, or the weekend's? But that's been music for ages - totally inappropriate stuff that kids should not listen to. But we do as kids, and our kids will also. Just today, I was listening to 112 - Anywhere, which came out in my early teens - not appropriate then, but great music anyway!

Also, I loved the Gino analysis off the top - honestly, when he says "Can we get off Black Cars?!" and Mike's reaction - reminds me of when Lisa yells at Ralph while they are on their date - and then Bart after pauses the video to show her the exact moment Ralph's heart breaks. Mike playing the clip over and over, is literally Ralph's face in freeze frame. Overall, Gino had an amazing time and Mike your interview will be the most unique he'll do. We need to get Can We Get off Black Cars on a tshirt or a sticker!!

Also, I too found it kinda sad that Elvis never listens to your stuff - kinda like if my friends never wanted to hear me sing. So I am glad that Marc is always listening!!

May 1, 2019 @ 11:45 AM

Urooj Islam

You guys forgot to mention another weird thing about "Old Town Road", it is also Trent Reznor's (Yes, THAT Trent Reznor) first Billboard Hot 100 number one song.

He has a producer credit because the song used a Nine Inch Nails sample.

#FreeChairGirl

May 1, 2019 @ 11:54 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Urooj Islam
The only thing that Chair Girl should be freed from is her far too constricting clothing, VOLUNTARILY, of course! (Or at least she should be a little more open with her Instagram feed so that the rest of us us unworthy Plebes can have a quick gander or two at her artificially sweetened goodness!!!) As for that "Old Town Road" track, I guess my ears aren't discerning as they once were, 'cause I didn't catch that NIN sample either.

May 1, 2019 @ 12:05 PM

jj

Urooj Islam
- I don't think I got to Old Town Road yet, but I frigging love that song!!

May 1, 2019 @ 1:22 PM

Urooj Islam

@jj

By the way, NAV is so lame. Your beloved Brampton must be so ashamed of him. He has such a big platform to do something unique and show the world what someone with a South Asian or Indian background can bring to hip hop but he's doing the same cookie cutter crap as everyone else.

At least he's not using the N-word anymore.

May 1, 2019 @ 3:28 PM

@1236

perhaps the only flub in this episode was calling the Quinte Mall (home of the last Sam the Record Man) “quint” (as in quintuplets) and not the correct /ˈkwɪnti/

(but not going to pretend that I knew this before, either)

May 1, 2019 @ 4:56 PM

jj

Urooj Islam - I don't belong to Brampton, I am from Scarborough. I just have been driving to Brampton, let us make that clearrrrrrr . Glad he stopped using the N word though.

May 1, 2019 @ 7:22 PM

Urooj Islam

@jj

My bad, and I think I made a mistake anyway. I think NAV is from Rexdale. I always confuse Rexdale and Brampton.

Either way, the way him, XO and Republic records gamed the chart was weak. Even the lead track off the album sounds like a Weeknd song more than it does a NAV song.

May 1, 2019 @ 10:10 PM

Jody Thornton

You sing @JJ? I can sing baritone (somewhat) though I'm out of practice. This I have to hear :)

May 2, 2019 @ 6:42 AM

jj

Urooj Islam - haha no worries. I would claim Brampton if I was from there, but I am a Scarborough lady. I don't listen to his stuff, or the weeknd beyond popular singles. But I love my music with all curse words when necessary - like dancehall!

Jody Thornton - I love to sing. Just for myself really, but still, I love it.

May 2, 2019 @ 8:32 AM

the brother

Great poddy gents! Was that me that called Marc a tool? Lmao, wish I could recall the context

May 2, 2019 @ 10:14 AM

@1236

... some silly old SOWNY argument, that’s all, probably about some radio station’s playlist (but the point fell apart because you weren’t Mike’s pasta spotter)

May 2, 2019 @ 12:40 PM

the brother

Cheers Marc all water under the bridge I'm sure....i'll buy you a GLB at TMLX3 and we can have a laugh about it!

May 2, 2019 @ 1:54 PM

the brother

BTW, I'm certainly not claiming any plausible deniability... hearkening back to the SOWNY days circa early-2000's I'm sure I was harsh to the regulars like yourself, adma, Dale and the likes of geriatric geo (RIP)! Those were fun times and I likely spouted a lot of nonsense lol. I was posting as 'le frere' on the big yellow board back then.

May 2, 2019 @ 2:03 PM

the brother

I'm still looking for the 1050 CHUM parody called "Black Flies" (bite harder in the shade) from Mike Holland (Bolea), if anyone has it please send Mike the mp3!

#getoffblackcars

May 2, 2019 @ 2:11 PM

@the brother

I'm sorry I forgot to ask around for that Back Flies parody!

May 2, 2019 @ 2:15 PM

jj

I would like Marc to include Fitzroy Gordon in next month's obituaries - he was important to to Toronto radio! And I am glad to hear that James Renald has at least a nice article penned about his contributions - I enjoyed their music.

Also, the chair girl recap was hilarious!

May 4, 2019 @ 9:54 AM

@jj

That's a slam dunk.

May 4, 2019 @ 11:52 AM

Urooj Islam

@jj

I don't know about you guys but I only listen to 12:36 episodes for updates about Chair Girl and Jamar's mystery baby.

May 4, 2019 @ 2:41 PM

jj

TM - for sure!!

Urooj - Yo this episode's "Coca Cola, Coca Cola, oh fuck" took me out. Also, Jamar is not the first or last man to show up with a baby LOOOOL.

May 4, 2019 @ 4:48 PM

@1236

@jj: the news of Fitzroy Gordon’s death was actually announced while we were recording this one! definitely next time

May 4, 2019 @ 9:45 PM

Anon&on

Not sure Marc was all-in on the Gino review. Carefully worded, with unsure voice inflection. Exaggerated percentages. I heard the dog whistle.
Busy week at the Mike'd podcast. 1 guest asks for employ, two confess crimes, this one has a mini meltdown about his unsure future. I subscribed to 12:36, doing what I can. And we finish with the least expected person to so eloquently say his s*** doesn't stink. I'm T.O. Mike'd out.

May 4, 2019 @ 9:58 PM

jj

@1236 - yes, belatedly i realized that the news just missed the episode because if when it was announced. my ears are open for the end of may.

May 5, 2019 @ 10:50 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Late to the Podcast, but Marc is full value, and being closer to 60 than most of your commenters, I appreciate the memorial section for the dearly departed.
Also want to give props to Marc for his newsletter,always look forward to it in my in box.

May 9, 2019 @ 7:19 PM