Notre-Dame Cathedral: My Pics

In 2012, I had business in Amsterdam, but took a few personal days to visit Paris first. What a city! I got engaged on this trip, proposing at the top of the Eiffel Tower.

We also visited Notre-Dame, a stunningly beautiful cathedral that took my breath away. And I'm a happy atheist!

Today, the Notre-Dame Cathedral burns into the night. Such a great loss, but we will rebuild. We must rebuild.

Here are some pictures I took of the Notre-Dame Cathedral on that trip back in 2012.

2012-09-09 19.42.41

2012-09-09 19.41.28

2012-09-09 19.38.47

2012-09-09 19.35.29

2012-09-09 19.32.52

2012-09-09 19.32.48

2012-09-09 19.30.43

Rick C in Oakville

A huge historical loss. I saw it from the outside on a tour in 2015, but never saw the interior.
If there is a plus side, on this tour we visited small towns and churches destroyed from WW1/WW2, and how remarkable the restorations were.

April 16, 2019 @ 8:31 AM

@Rick C in Oakville

Yes, we're very good at rebuilding / restoring these old buildings. The ball is already rolling.

April 16, 2019 @ 8:43 AM

LieveFamke

It was on our list of things to see in June! :(

April 16, 2019 @ 8:52 AM

JD from Oakville

With the declining skill sets in the former stone/wood trades and artisan works, these rebuilds inspire young people to learn the old crafts. It happened after the Windsor fire. This will no doubt generate a regional boost in the old world ways.

April 16, 2019 @ 9:34 AM

James Edgar

terrible loss for Paris and the rest of us as well. Also an Atheist but have been amazed in several Cathedrals in Europe. Sadly I haven't made it to Paris yet so i have not had the pleasure of a visit to Notre Dame:(

April 16, 2019 @ 10:04 AM

Urooj Islam

Damn, I didn't realize old people loved that building so much.

It almost feels like a celebrity death the way this story is being covered with everyone's weird almost eulogistic reactions of them sharing stories/pictures of when they went to Paris and saw a dang building.

April 16, 2019 @ 4:44 PM

@Urooj Islam

This is nothing. Wait until they bulldoze the Galleria Mall.

April 16, 2019 @ 4:51 PM

Urooj Islam

Future Toronto Mike blog entry memorializing Galleria Mall:

"We also visited Galleria Mall, a stunningly beautiful mall that took my breath away. And I'm a happy anti-consumerist!"

Old white people already care about their pets more than they do about most other humans and now we can add old buildings to the list as well, I guess.

April 16, 2019 @ 5:14 PM

@Urooj Islam

White people are the worst.

April 17, 2019 @ 7:57 AM

Wade

What a terrible thing to say.

April 17, 2019 @ 7:58 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
On a completely unrelated Notre(!), why no official entry for the long-overdue teardown of the infamous Rio Theatre site near Yonge and Gerrard late last week? Plenty of folks had 'religious experiences' of another kind there for at least several decades (or so I have heard/read!!)

April 17, 2019 @ 9:31 AM

Matt

@wade Agreed. Any racism is wrong.

April 17, 2019 @ 1:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

Please note, I think that Mike's response was tongue-in-cheek and meant to be taken sarcastically!!

April 17, 2019 @ 1:26 PM

Matt

Hope you're right. Sometimes things dont come across the right way on line

April 17, 2019 @ 1:51 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Matt
Yeah, quite a few of my previous meant-to-be-funny comments have also perturbed people in a similar manner. And you're right, sarcasm, snark and snipe aren't always the easiest thing to
ascertain/appreciate in this manner.

April 17, 2019 @ 2:04 PM

My "white people are the worst" reply was pure snark intended for Urooj Islam. I do not really think white people are the worst. I have two white children!

April 17, 2019 @ 2:41 PM

Urooj Islam

Over a billion, yes, a BILLION dollars in pledges and donation to fix a building.

How depressing.

April 17, 2019 @ 3:02 PM

markosaar

Fragile white people are the worst.

April 17, 2019 @ 3:06 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Urooj Islam
Hopefully it is not too soon to write this, but the amount raised for that can kind of be compared to
the big difference in funds raised in the aftermaths of the Humboldt tragedy and the Yonge
Street van massacre. Never underestimate the across-the-board appeal (in some circles, mind you!) of
hockey and religion). Not judging or pointing figures, just saying...

April 17, 2019 @ 3:18 PM

Beatts

Looking forward to seeing the new L'Oreal Apple LVMH Group Cathedral of Paris ™ in the near future

April 17, 2019 @ 3:31 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Beatts
I think you left off a couple of dozen sponsors at least!!! And wouldn't it be great if THEY could somehow incorporate the name or likeness of Jerry Lewis into this remake/remodel? After all, the French never game up on their confounding adoration of "Mr. Hey Lady" until the bitter end!!

April 17, 2019 @ 3:36 PM

It is what it is

I would argue over sensitive people of colour are the worst.

April 17, 2019 @ 4:14 PM

Beatts

I would argue the Ottawa Senators hockey team is the worst.

April 17, 2019 @ 4:18 PM