Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 418: Ashley Docking

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 418In this 418th episode, Mike chats with Fan 590 host Ashley Docking about her hall of fame collegiate career, her work on television and radio, the Gruber incident and diversity in Canadian sports media. This episode is exactly 1:35:59.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Ashley Docking and me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Palma Pasta, Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair, Property in the 6ix, Paytm Canada and BUKL. Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Palma Pasta   glb   Fast Time Watch & Jewellery Repair

propertyinthesix   BUKL   paytm

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

jj

It's difficult to discuss diversity in sports media. Andrew Walker moves to Vancouver. A non white guy could have replaced him. Whoever replaced him (I don't know), put in their hard work and got the position. But, the system on a whole is filled with white guys, so obviously a lot of white guys have been there longer than herself, or other women and men of colour. So it will be a while until the white guys with tenure, are replaced by non white guys with tenure, essentially. The system itself is still in need of a lot of fixing I am sure.

Didn't Scott Moore say he was told, stop hiring himself? A lot of people are still doing that methinks.

January 7, 2019 @ 3:20 PM

jj

Ok, she is addressing her white privilege. *ding ding ding* Correct, people of colour have to work twice as hard, and prove themselves, just to get their foot in the door.

What a great interview!

January 7, 2019 @ 3:35 PM

@jj

Yes, Scott Moore told me the best advice he got was to stop hiring himself. I mentioned this in today's ep.

January 7, 2019 @ 3:44 PM

jj

LOL, so I pressed send, because I had paused it in order to make that comment. and then you mentioned the quote right after, too trippy. She gave a better answer than he did about diversity, I find.

January 7, 2019 @ 3:54 PM

Rob J

I appreciate jj’s perspective on the (lack of) diversity issue. The fact that the ratings for the 2 Toronto all-sports stations are mediocre at best (compared to those in other cities) stems from several obvious factors, and I feel the dominance of one type of host in an incredibly multicultural city is one of those factors.

I stopped listening to the FAN cold-turkey in 2016, not because of that issue though, but rather due to the direction of the station in terms of shoving the same in-house ‘insiders’ at us day after day, show after show. It became a blatant conduit for Rogers to promote its teams and properties while ignoring properties and teams it didn’t own. Issues that made the NHL look bad were ignored, as well as big-picture stories that didn’t affect the local scene. Beloved and respected guests outside of the Rogers universe disappeared and those who put forth a contrarian perspective were axed, e.g. Cox and Healy. (I’d add Zaun as well, though there were obviously other issues there (allegedly).

Don’t get me wrong: If I were a die-hard fan of the local teams who liked getting my biases confirmed, it would be my go-to station. But clearly, considering the ratings, I’m not the only former long-timer they’ve lost.

January 7, 2019 @ 4:14 PM

@Rob J

And you have to assume podcasts are cutting into the AM sports talk audience.

January 7, 2019 @ 4:24 PM

Rob J

Absolutely!

January 7, 2019 @ 4:38 PM

Urooj Islam

It makes me chuckle that Ashley Docking, a conventionally attractive white female in a hosting/presenter role is the sports media's idea of diversity. She's basically the radio equivalent of a sideline reporter or sports anchor.

The old white man sports media club seems to have placated the cries for diversity with these token roles that don't mean anything.

January 7, 2019 @ 8:34 PM

Kevin J

Ashley Docking is solid. I enjoy her time on the air in a fill in role. Honestly, she should be full time. Stiffs like Brady, Ennis and Bunkis are a bore, she brings in a cool vibe and bright perspective. Hell, put her with Jeff Blair, I bet she would have great chemistry with him. At any rate, I hope the Fan gives her more air time.

January 7, 2019 @ 9:36 PM

wade

Rob J.

I agree with you 100%. I am down to occasionally listening to Brunt on Bob McCown because I like his knowledge of sports. Nick Kypreos?

January 8, 2019 @ 8:21 AM

Austin

I like it when media personalities come on your podcast because you really get to know them. This was 90 unedited minutes of your conversation and you really get a feel for what makes Ashley tick.

Ashley, if you're reading, don't say no to a TSN opportunity until Sportsnet puts a ring on it. Put the free back in freelance the way you're doing with Hoop Talks and Pitch Talks.

January 8, 2019 @ 11:04 AM

Crunch

Urooj, at first glance I thought your comment was horrible. But I see what you're trying to say, albeit I think it is a bit cynical. I dont think Ashley is being presented as token..she is not even a full time employee.

January 9, 2019 @ 6:55 AM

jj

Urooj Islam - her comments on diversity within sports media I thought were really good, all things considered. And to have a woman hosting some of these programs, was I am sure unheard of x amount of years ago. I hope/think she can be an ally.

January 9, 2019 @ 9:37 AM

Max power

I too stopped listening to toronto sports talk... Its literally the same white anglo saxon borefest all day long. Theres not even diversity in ethnicity never mind race. Its an absolute black hole of talent. You will notice nobody gets plucked out to bigger and better things, they just eventually disappear .

January 12, 2019 @ 8:43 PM

Urooj Islam

I wish I could buy a poster of that infamous Fan 590 line-up photo from 2017 and get it framed, no picture makes me smile/laugh more.

No one would believe you if you told them that was the line-up of the biggest sports radio station in the most multicultural city in the western world.

January 13, 2019 @ 12:16 AM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
She kind of lost me when she went into that whole bit of nonsense regarding your supposed
'mansplaining' regarding how to cook that lasagna!! I don't have much time for that kind of
B.S., quite rich, really, as I actually have all the (free) time in the world!! And, again, there are
plenty of other voices out there that don't get even a proportionate amount of public airing,
so it is somewhat hard for me to be overly sympathetic, especially when her current career
seems to be doing alright. #AnAspie'sSkewedPerspective!!

January 19, 2019 @ 11:14 AM