Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 260: Jay Onrait

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 260In this 260th episode, Mike chats with Jay about why he left TSN for Fox Sports, what went wrong there, why he's returned with Dan O'Toole and what the hell happened with that MuchMoreMusic show. This episode is exactly 1:11:38.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Jay Onrait and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Beatts

Looking forward to this episode. I was worried it was going to be another "rohmeresque" game of cat and mouse to actually have him show up.

You guys look like brothers but your parents decided to give only one of you vitamins and essential minerals....

August 30, 2017 @ 11:43 AM

schtumpig

I have no idea why I recalled the movie Witness this morning :)

Quote from Witness:
Samuel Lapp: Ya, but not schtumpig.
John Book: Schtulpig? What's 'schtumpig'?
Rachel Lapp: On a farm, when a pig is born small like that, it's called schtumpig, a runt.
John Book: Oh, so he wasn't a runt. He was a big guy, like me?
[John puts his arm around an embarrassed Carter]
Samuel Lapp: Big guy!

August 30, 2017 @ 11:54 AM

And yes, this was originally supposed to be Jay and Dan, but logistically that wasn't possible. But I think the ep turned out great.

And it's not as if Dan misled me... upon further review, my correspondence from the day TSN announced Jay and Dan were coming back was always with Jay, never Dan. Dan likely doesn't know this show exists! :)

August 30, 2017 @ 11:55 AM

Urooj Islam

What came first? Tim and Sid or Jay and Dan?

Never have I seen either discuss the influence they might have had on each other.

August 30, 2017 @ 12:06 PM

@Urooj Islam

FWIW, Jay and Dan came several years before Tim and Sid.

August 30, 2017 @ 12:10 PM

Urooj Islam

Are you sure? Tim and Sid were paired on Score Tonight at least 12-15 years ago.

August 30, 2017 @ 12:24 PM

@Urooj Islam

You're probably right... I just saw on their Wiki page they formed in 2011 but that's likely just talking about the 590 show.

August 30, 2017 @ 12:44 PM

Urooj Islam

I could be wrong too, just saw a lot of Tim and Sid influence on Jay and Dan or vice versa depending on who was established first.

While Tim and Sid skewed more younger (basketball, hip hop references), Jay and Dan were like the wholesome Canadian puckhead version put together to appeal to a national audience more so than a Toronto audience.

August 30, 2017 @ 2:06 PM

Papa

Onrait - You are mistaken. Mark J. Banbury was the best labbie in '94/95 (although I will give Moonah his due too; his present day harmonica playing is pretty decent).

Mike - another great podcast! Well done.

August 30, 2017 @ 3:18 PM

Anonymous

As stated before, not much of a sports person (well, not until nude ladies
luge becomes a thing!!) but was nevertheless very entertained by this episode!!
Then again, I did read both of Mr. Onrait's books and found them to be quite
hilarious. Highly recommended bathroom reading for all!!

August 30, 2017 @ 3:20 PM

bsmntdwllr73

The previous comment was from me, bsmntdwllr73! I guess I hit
the post before filling in the box. Sorry, it won't happen again!!

August 30, 2017 @ 3:23 PM

Anonymous

First time listener, long time twitter follower.

This was really, really good! Like, way better than I'd hoped. I'm hitting up the archive now!

August 30, 2017 @ 4:25 PM

Urooj Islam

Good episode.

The ratings for the first 4 years of Sportsnet were nowhere near as bad as Fox Sports Live's, I don't think people realize how bad they were.

August 30, 2017 @ 4:57 PM

Dawn Keibals

@ T Mike.... OMG
That pic looks like a first meeting with your new step-dad on Father's Day.

August 30, 2017 @ 5:47 PM

@Dawn

In my defense, Jay is really, really tall!

August 30, 2017 @ 7:12 PM

Dawn Keibals

@T Mike
The real question is did Jay also bring you a new Fire Red bike? With or without training wheels and a brand new Baseball glove from Eaton's ??

August 30, 2017 @ 7:27 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Downloaded...looking forward to this one.

August 30, 2017 @ 8:06 PM

Jason from Sudbury

God dammit...I hate pr people! And what was the deal with the chick that drove them and sat outside the entire time? That was weird. Still a decent episode though.

September 1, 2017 @ 1:17 AM

Liz

Too bad you had to keep such a close eye on the clock. Once Jay returns for a KOTJ episode, you and he will have a chance to let things flow more freely. PR people are a special breed, that's for sure. Interesting episode, Mike!

September 1, 2017 @ 1:43 PM

@Liz

As PR reps go, this guy was actually pretty nice... said I had an hour before they had to go to Corus Quay and I got in 1:11. And remember, they didn't cancel! They were at my door at 9am sharp...

September 1, 2017 @ 7:26 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

I actually met the driver after this episode... she was a professional driver wearing a suit and everything. I guess they spent a little Bell Media money on a limo to get Jay to his stops. After me, they recorded a bit with my old friend Fearless Fred.

September 1, 2017 @ 7:33 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: Did you have to go through the pr guy to get Jay on the podcast? Or did he just show up?

September 3, 2017 @ 10:43 AM

@Jason from Sudbury

I dealt directly with Jay since it was announced they were coming back to TSN. We had the day and time set up, then Jay asked me to loop in the PR guy.

So I wrote the PR guy, told him our plan, and he showed up. He never gave me a hard time, let me ask anything I wanted, and genuinely seemed to enjoy the episode.

The last time a PR guy/gal was in the room for an episode was when Ash from USS visited.

September 3, 2017 @ 11:10 AM

JR

Wonder if Ann will bring an entourage. Loaded questions coming!

September 6, 2017 @ 4:53 PM