Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 254: Larry Fedoruk

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 254In this 254th episode, Mike chats with Larry Fedoruk about his years at CFTR, CKFM, CISS and Newstalk 610 CKTB. This episode is exactly 1:32:57.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Larry Fedoruk and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Jody Thornton

I recall him poking fun at Wally Crouter during his CFTR days (golly-gee-gosh-darn). Should be a good listen.

July 24, 2017 @ 1:41 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Once again, very nice work! I love all of the old-time Toronto radio episodes!!
Two things: however: I'm only slightly older than you but I can't believe that you
weren't familiar with the band Streetheart until you heard about Kenny Shields'
sad passing last week. Tune into Q107 for a hot minute or two, and you're bound to
hear one of their many great songs. As well, what are the odds of you ever booking the
almighty Dick Smyth for a comprehensive chat? Probably as high as booking Moses
Znaimer, eh?!?

July 24, 2017 @ 5:24 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Call me naive, but I don't think Moses or Dick Smyth are ungettable. Dick might have a geographical issue, though... I think he lives up north.

As for me and Q107, I was a big listener when it was current rock. Really heavy listener during the Appetite for Destruction days up to just before grunge. But I didn't listen to much Q when it was "classic rock".... I completely missed Streetheart!

July 24, 2017 @ 6:11 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
You're probably right, I was a loyal Q listener in the late eighties until the dawn of grunge
(1991) and their Streetheart coverage was minimal at best. They are more than making it up
for it nowadays and I know that this isn't because of the singer's death, as I'm sure whatever
classic rock algorithm they subscribe to is made up months in advance. As for your point about
potentially booking those two heavy hitters, it would truly be great if you could book either
one of these pioneers! And here's another possible suggestion right out of left-field, the
legendary Peter Silverman! The man is 86 this year and I'm not sure of his current health
situation, but it would great to hear him say the phrase, "Watch it, buddy!" one more time.

July 24, 2017 @ 6:36 PM

@bsmntdwllr73

Two recent guests work closely with Moses... so I might have an in there.

I chatted with Peter Silverman about coming on and once again geography is in the way. He lives quite east of the city. I might have to Skype him in.

July 24, 2017 @ 6:40 PM

bsmntdwllr73

@Mike
Perhaps you could Skype with Dick Smyth as well, if he is not too ornery
or curmudgeonly?

July 24, 2017 @ 6:42 PM

Brandon

@Toronto Mike

Looking forward to listening to this one!

One thought, why not do "Toronto Mike on The Road" to travel to Silverman (or Smyth for that matter)? A Zoom (like the H4N - used it before and it's nice) connected to external mics/a mixer would do the trick - heck, even smartphones with external mics/mixer through the right interface and app can often handle the recording. Skype is an acceptable alternative too, but I was just thinking if the guest has trouble coming to you, why not go to them?

July 24, 2017 @ 7:42 PM

Anonymous

What's happening with Ann Rohmer these days. Is she gone from CP24? When can we even hear her on your show? Dying to get to the truth once and for all

July 24, 2017 @ 7:47 PM

@Anonymous

Ann has told me that her doctor wants her to rest her voice until at least August.

This explains why she hasn't been on CP24 lately or on my podcast. Doctor's orders.

July 24, 2017 @ 8:02 PM

Rob J

Yeah Mike, why don't you quit your job, sell your house, get an RV, buy new equipment and travel all over the GTA and beyond to interview old-timers for a living? Any wuss can do 200+ interviews in his basement with 4 kids and a fulltime job. Real talk? More like Lazy-Ass Talk.

July 24, 2017 @ 8:18 PM

@Rob J

Haha... I took @Brandon's suggestion in the spirit in which it was intended. It's a fine idea!

I need one of those old RVs like the one Walter White cooked in!

July 24, 2017 @ 8:21 PM

Rob J

Ok. I apologize for the heavy-handed sarcasm.

Walter White? Don't you mean Richard Syrett?!

Keep up the great work.

July 24, 2017 @ 8:26 PM

@Rob J

I am the danger!

July 24, 2017 @ 8:34 PM

Rob J

A show not quite as quote-worthy as 'The Simpsons' but it was brilliant.

BTW, I think we get Homer as a teacher of 'successful marriages' on Talkin' Simpsons this week. Gotta love Season 5!

July 24, 2017 @ 8:56 PM

Brandon

@Rob J

LOL. Hey, if the guests are really wanted or on Mike's "list", the occasional "road trip" for a change of pace from a static location is workable. Portable audio quality is decent (not out of reach of anyone) and gear has never been cheaper for it. I think the Zoom H4N can be rented by a couple places in the city even (camera/video production shops). Just sayin' that distance need not be the barrier if the feeling is Skype doesn't allow the banter as naturally.

July 24, 2017 @ 9:05 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Dick Smyth would have to be a face to face just to see the body language/vibe he would give off. I would rent the van to drive Mike and his equipment to Muskoka to interview Dick! Still recall my dad tuning in to "And heres how things look to Dick Smyth this morning", classic!

July 24, 2017 @ 9:44 PM

Miker

Larry's one of the best. Did mornings when I was a summer employee at CHIC and we both endured the drama at 2 St. Clair. His show is unique; unlike any other in the GTA. Very few calls and none of those bloody 5 person panels. Do you know how difficult that can be?

July 28, 2017 @ 2:21 PM

the brother

Wasn't Rob Christie the famed Vancouver DJ who did mornings at Mix 99.9? I think he was whisked back west to host on JACK-fm which had a decent run. The late 90's Mix era of Buzz Reynolds, Schmilson Wilson and of course the late Punch Andrews.

August 1, 2017 @ 11:42 AM

@the brother

Yes, that's the guy... Rob Christie....

August 1, 2017 @ 1:13 PM

the brother

Looks like late '94 is when Christie came in according to:

August 2, 2017 @ 3:34 PM

Miker

Rob was supposed to come to MIX with his co-host, Audie. Audie bailed and the whole experiment fell apart. The nadir was a morning broadcast from the top of the Christie cookie factory water tower. In late fall. I count 7 morning men at CKFM/MIX from 1987 to 1994.

August 2, 2017 @ 5:27 PM

Gary M

Great interview. Larry is such a pleasure. It kills me that Mike's enthusiasm for CFTR history includes absolutely zero awareness of the existence of John Landecker.

August 3, 2017 @ 2:32 AM

Neal

I remember Tom Rivers appearing on Bob McCown's morning show for an hour or so on The Fan in the early days. Tom was between jobs and I remember clearly him appearing as a guest.

August 4, 2017 @ 9:18 PM