Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 244: Fred Penner

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 244In this 244th episode, Mike chats with Fred Penner about The Cat Came Back, Fred Penner's Place, Tipi Tales, Hear the Music and more. This episode is exactly 45:03.

Become a Patron

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Fred Penner and Me

Toronto Mike'd is proudly brought to you by Great Lakes Brewery, Property in the 6ix and Paytm Canada.

Great Lakes Beer propertyinthesix.com

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

GUNTer

might have to give this one a listen. my little nephew, now a dad of 2, LOVED Fred.
I was working at Sick Kids when Fred came to visit and i got him to sign a pic for my nephew. I phoned my nephew and said i had a present for him. A few days later i presented him with the Fred signed pic - and my nephew started crying and yelling 'thats not a present'. HAHAHAHAHHA He still continued watching Fred and played alot of guitar because of it.
Fred Penner is awesome - and, Mike, if my phone rang and the display said Fred Penner i would be soooo happy!

June 21, 2017 @ 2:56 PM

Rick C in Oakville

My son nearly wore out my cassette player in my car playing Ebenezer Sneezer, Cat came back, and all of Fred Penners music.
Great memories.

June 21, 2017 @ 5:24 PM

Beatts

Episode is short but sweet.

If you are on the fence on whether or not to listen, hearing Fred instantly start jamming out on his guitar to the "Property in the 6" jingle was worth the price of admission alone.

I would use that version of the jingle from now on, it was great!

June 22, 2017 @ 7:42 AM

James Edgar

Another great listen , Thanks!
I honestly don't or didn't know much about him at all.
I'm too old to have watched in the eighties and I missed that portion of my Step daughters growing up.

I do remember the Cat came back though ,didn't realise it was Fred Penner until today. Sounds like a great guy and he certainly seems to have had an impact .

June 22, 2017 @ 11:52 AM

headsup

Great get, Mike. Will definitely listen.
As a kid in the late 80's and early 90's, Fred Penner was definitely the man! Wish I had paid attention - had a few questions in mind... Maybe they will be answered in the episode.
While at university I dressed up as Fred Penner for Halloween one year. The ensemble was complete with bright shirt, khakis, my guitar and a goose decoy as the Word Bird. I seem to remember singing a song about going to the zoo, but the zookeepers were on strike so no one could get in. It was during the NHL lockout so it was in vogue. I won best costume. #freebeer

June 22, 2017 @ 2:01 PM

markosaar

Penner collaborating with Basia Bulat and The Good Lovelies blew my wife's mind. She adores all of them! We'd never have known had we not heard this episode.

June 22, 2017 @ 8:06 PM

markosaar

Episode was short, but dense with content and good feelings :)

June 22, 2017 @ 8:13 PM

Freedom 55

I have a new fondness for Mr Penner as a result of this podcast. Great job.

Mike - as per usual I do have one complaint -- please give your future guests the respect of having their audio cued up instead of having them sit through irrelevant audio. I'm sure your sound board will allow for that. Something to discuss at your live podcast event at the GLB patio this summer?

June 23, 2017 @ 9:46 AM

@Freedom 55

I assume you mean the opening theme of Fred Penner's Place.

That "irrelevant audio" was completely intentional. I like the time machine quality of hearing the tail of the outro of the preceding show, the David Suzuki promo, the stinger and then the opening theme. I purposely did this.

June 23, 2017 @ 9:56 AM

markosaar

Just like you can't play the Polka Dot Door theme without leading with Dr. Who.

June 23, 2017 @ 10:58 AM

@markosaar

Where was the trigger warning? :)

June 23, 2017 @ 11:06 AM

markosaar

Exterminate! Annihilate! Destroy!

June 23, 2017 @ 11:14 AM

Drew

I loved Fred in the Howard Stern movie!

June 24, 2017 @ 3:23 PM