Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 233: Bernard Cowan

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 233In this 233rd episode, Mike chats with Bernard Cowan's son Elliott about his father's esteemed career voicing popular cartoons and Canadian programs as well as his work as a crusader and founding member of ACTRA. Lots of great old clips in this one. This episode is exactly 55:41.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

2017-04-27_02-22-22

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rob J

Seems like a very interesting episode! Perhaps a divergence from the usual TM formula, but looking forward to listening tomorrow.

April 27, 2017 @ 7:51 PM

Urooj Islam

If Rocket Robin Hood was as ridiculous as Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century then I am in!

Fun episode, thanks.

April 27, 2017 @ 8:03 PM

I had never done an episode quite like this, and I wanted to test the model.

As I said to a pal recently, what's the point of having an independent podcast in your basement if you can't try new things?

April 27, 2017 @ 8:19 PM

This is Bernard Cowan with Arthur Rankin, Jr.

April 27, 2017 @ 8:20 PM

JR

Looking forward to listening. Cowan I remembered from Front Page Challenge and Wayne and Shuster. "This is Bernard Cowan speaking". Glad to see he is not forgotten.

April 27, 2017 @ 9:18 PM

Rob J

TM,

Explain the philosophy of freedom in independence to Mike Richards. Literally his first sports-related comment in the debut of RMR was "how dare people be upset about the leafs' elimination," a take I'd only heard a few dozen times already. With scorchers like that, he'll fade into irrelevance before Doug Gilmour even has a chance to walk in.

April 27, 2017 @ 9:18 PM

Rob J

Wow, a 2000 year old rabbit?! Man, the things he's seen...

The SCTV parody of FPC is phenomenal.

In high school, I knew 'Wayne and Shuster' was lame af, but I loved it for the fact that the duo sold each sketch as if it actually were funny.

Great episode, loved each story and anecdote!

April 28, 2017 @ 2:15 PM

Rob J

Mouse, dammit. I was listening, I promise!!

April 28, 2017 @ 2:39 PM

Matt

Hey Mike - Great episode! I'm 33, but I've know of Bernard Cowan for a long time now. I've been kind of obsessed with The Marvel Super Heroes Show, Spider-Man and Rocket Robin Hood since I was a kid. To this day I still put them on when I have the time.

It would be pretty cool if you could talk to Paul Soles and Carl Banas as well. They're the only voice actors from those shows that are still with us.

April 28, 2017 @ 2:59 PM

@Matt

Carl Banas would be great. I love The Raccoons!

April 28, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

@Rob J

Don't feel so bad... I had him at 200 years old.

April 28, 2017 @ 3:36 PM

Blind Dave

Will be listening shortly.

And yes, please try to get Carl Banas. He was my favourite evening host on the old CKFM back in the 80's. I loved his Night Music interview/music show.

April 28, 2017 @ 9:36 PM

Blind Dave

Gave it a listen, and yes, I like it. Definitely a change and worth it to do it again.

One observation, Mike, is that you weren't "in your wheelhouse" as much as you are with the Toronto media/entertainment guests. That is not a criticism because you didn't grow up in that era. There was the benefit of research, but not the benefit of personal experience. Elliott mentioned a couple of things -- one was Paul Soles winning an award -- that I thought you could have jumped on but the moment passed.

With that said, I couldn't do one percent of what you do on a podcast, so please carry on with new things!

April 28, 2017 @ 11:25 PM

@Blind Dave

Although I always do a little research, most episodes are me pulling timelines and facts from my memory bank. Howard Berger's episode, for example, was 2.5 hours off the top of my head.

For Bernard, it was very different for me, because I didn't know his name a week earlier. I just thought it was a story that should be shared. But that does make it different for me... in that very little is in my memory bank.

I'm glad I did it, though.

April 29, 2017 @ 9:11 AM

Blind Dave

@ TO Mike

I'm glad you did it too. I am 53 and remember the voice. It was a fun convo!

Your off the top of your head ability is remarkable. So many guests have commented on your thorough research skills.

Great job!

April 29, 2017 @ 1:02 PM

JR

Actually W&S were funny, creative and literate. Also very good at satire, political or otherwise. Hugely successful for a reason. Of a different era but compare it to today's vile witless "comedy," like Colbert, Bee, Silverman, Schumer.

May 3, 2017 @ 7:45 AM

Matt

Good episode. I remember a lot of those old shows, watching them at lunch time (in between re-runs of Leave it to Beaver and I love Lucy). It would have been really neat (I think) if you had included Retrontario in the interview as sort of a round table discussion. It would have been interesting to blend your research and clips with Bernard's stories of his father, and Retrontario's knowledge of that type of media.

May 10, 2017 @ 6:30 AM

Rick C in Oakville

I glad you made a diversion on this one Mike. Just love the back story on Bernards contributions to agreat number of the kids entertainment I remember. We all remember the big American cartoon producers, but forgot we had our own creators. I just naturally assumed as a kid they came from down south of the border.
What a legacy for Elliot and his family to have in these gems.

May 13, 2017 @ 5:35 PM

Dobidy

Great interview! I have been a fan of Rocket Robin Hood and Bernard Cowan's magical voice since I was a kid. So much so I have a small collection of original artwork and a fanzine that I used to tour around to conventions.

May 16, 2017 @ 11:42 AM