Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 219: Mike Richards

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 219In this 219th episode, Mike chats with sports broadcaster Mike Richards about what happened at TSN Radio 1050 and what exactly Raw Mike Richards will be. This episode is exactly 1:16:32.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Mike Richards and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Rob J

No, thanks.

February 21, 2017 @ 8:17 PM

H.o.E.

That was strange to hear that at one point (I assume it would have been in the later part of the 1990s, after they had been together on The Fan morning show), Q107 was considering hiring him and Derringer together for their morning show. And even more weird that 640 considered pairing him with Bill Carroll, which would have been an odd and probably awkward combination.
Over the last year or so, probably a lot of people also had that same thought that Bell/TSN seem to have simply given up on 1050 and were 'tanking'.
Anyway, enough about the old-fashioned radio stations we're all leaving behind as we find better options. I'll be interested to hear and see what he comes up with starting in April as his own boss.

February 22, 2017 @ 12:27 AM

Andrew

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the shout out for Aaron and my niece. They are both students at Ithaca College in the music program. She's in vocal and music education and I believe Aaron is in performance and recording. Considering he produced, engineered, performed and wrote the whole bloody thing with some other friends playing, it's a fantastic sounding album. I've been playing it all week at the curling in St. Cats.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing him live in either Toronto or Austin.

The album is called "Black Tee Shrt" - Aaron Rizzo. Available on iTunes and all the other usual sites.

Cheers,

Andrew

February 22, 2017 @ 8:01 AM

James Edgar

Another compelling Podcast Mike and I have to admit I barely know who Mike Richards is. I guess I wasn't listening to him back in the day when i listened to radio more and I never really bothered with TSN radio.

Certainly interesting.
@ Andrew I'll be checking out Aaron Rizzo for sure.

February 22, 2017 @ 11:52 AM

Craig Venn

I must apologize to Mike Richards for getting his story wrong about our time at The Fan. But if we are going to make sure all our facts are correct, then you sir also screwed up... I was not 115 pounds when we met.. I was 125!! I want my 10 pounds damn it! He was spot on when he said we are close friends. I've never laughed as much as I did working with Mike and dropping way too much money at The Cannonball, Latin Quarter and The S&S. Sweet memories of the Brampton Strippers! Can't wait to listen to Raw Mike Richards!

February 22, 2017 @ 2:11 PM

Andrew

@ Craig

Ahh the good old Scratch and Sniff. Across from the original Mandarin where you could served at 16 without any issues.

Calypso Garden was my fave. The Caribbean fried rice was my fave!!!

The chicken plant sucked, especially when the wind was driving from the north. You could smell it all the way to Turner some days.

Man, I miss 83 Kennedy Rd South!!

Cheers,
Andrew

February 22, 2017 @ 3:32 PM

Hugh

Wow, interesting listen, but quite the ego, all but saying he's like Stern and worthy of his own satellite channel. Don't think so.

February 22, 2017 @ 3:58 PM

Albert Reda

This was amazing.

February 22, 2017 @ 9:10 PM

Daniel

There was a lot of bravado there. I feel a bit of revisionist history as well

I hope he does well but I'm skeptical on the amount of traffic, ears and eyeballs he can generate being a 1 man show streaming from a website and his biggest draw is sometimes he tapes the show from a bar

February 23, 2017 @ 10:10 AM

H.o.E.

Bravado? I think more like outright fantasy in his case.
I was expecting him to be posting maybe one or two short fake phone calls a week from Bob Cole, Jerry Jones, etc., on YouTube.
I suspect what he will actually end up doing will probably be closer to that than what he described from his imagination.
I've been impressed with how Ed The Sock can do his one-hour-a-week YouTube show from the lobby of the Hard Rock Cafe. As cheap-looking as it may be, that's really probably about as much as a local "celebrity" could really do on their own.

February 23, 2017 @ 12:56 PM

Anthony

Came across as a nice, energetic guy, but I'm not sure where he's getting his rating numbers.

He was right about the 4 share, but the fan was at an 8, and that was 24-54. When he said he was the top guy in the spot, ''bar none, its not even close'. He may have been a little Donald Trump with the facts there, at least according to the lovely commentators over at TSM.

February 24, 2017 @ 4:34 PM

Urooj Islam

The Mike Richards/Sheryl Sheppard connection is one of the most unique guest connections ever brought up on this podcast.

Just jaw-dropping-ly amazing.

February 25, 2017 @ 8:44 PM

Joe Thistel

Hey, I was told you mentioned me in this podcast. So I listened. Got mentioned once. ONCE! And not a word about my incredible experience and talent. Venn got mentioned more than me. Even Lavigne. I should have been all over this thing. Raw Mike Richards, my ass.

March 6, 2017 @ 3:27 PM

Bell Media Employee

As a Bell Media employee I have to say that the part where he talks about the way he was treated by Bell Media higher ups is 100 percent accurate. The morale in the entire company is extremely low and many employees are unhappy. Before we were owned by Bell there wasn't a better place to work. Once Bell came aboard everything has gone down hill and has only got worse as the years pass. I agree with his statement about Bell Let's Talk. A great initiative but ironic that it comes from a company who could care less about their employees well being and happiness. A company that used to foster creativity bell took over (I work in a creative area of the company) is now a company that leaves you demotivated and not willing to think outside the box as your ideas are brought down by the corporate culture and yes men. Pre Bell our department won numerous industry awards that has now dropped significantly. In fact they are such penny pinchers that our coordinator wasn't allowed to purchase pens and other basic office supplies for the last 6 months. We no longer get cost of living salary increases either. Like Mike stated right after firings take place a few short days later we get emails from Bell corporate saying how well we've done that quarter and how profits haven't been higher. Bell also stripped us of the family day holiday. A company that champions itself on supporting mental health doesn't even give their hard working employees a holiday named "family" day. Best of luck to Mike and I hope he kills it with this new venture!

March 6, 2017 @ 8:46 PM

TS

@Joe

What talent?

March 6, 2017 @ 9:58 PM

Rob J

Got around to hearing this one.

Mike R: "We're gonna do something never done before and appeal to a world-wide audience"

Ten Minutes Later....

(speaking of his future show) "And then Doug Gilmour walks in"

March 28, 2017 @ 3:06 PM