Team Europe vs. Canada: Where I'm At

Back in March, I tried to wrap my head around this World Cup of Hockey. At the time, I was disappointed the NHL and NHLPA had "fiddled with the basic premise" by introducing two teams that are not countries.

In a couple of hours, I'll be tuning in to watch Canada face one of those manufactured teams in game one of the best-of-three final. Team Europe, a team we beat 4-1 in the round robin, is tasked with trying to halt Canada's 14-game win streak in best-on-best competition.

As this tournament approached, I wasn't sure if I'd get into it. My Jays are in a wildcard spot, it sure doesn't feel like the Olympics and there are those aforementioned manufactured teams that still irk me.

But I'm definitely watching. I don't think I've missed one of Canada's games, and I caught quite of bit of Team North America. It's been awfully entertaining, even though Canada's thoroughly dominated. I've enjoyed the World Cup, but I think I'd be more excited about tonight if we were facing Sweden, Russia or the United States.

Here's hoping they go back to eight countries next time. It still won't feel like the Olympics, but we'll be a great deal closer.

Go Canada, Go!

Rob J

Plus, it's not even 'Team Europe' when players from Sweden, Finland, Russia, and the Czech Republic are not eligible.

September 27, 2016 @ 7:25 PM

@Rob J

You know the fix is definitely not in when the refs let that OT goal by Team Europe over Sweden in the semis stand.

You easily could have disallowed that goal for being kicked in, and you know the NHL and NHLPA wanted a Sweden vs. Canada final if they couldn't have their dream USA vs. Canada final.

September 27, 2016 @ 7:28 PM

dale

Initially a cash grab for NHL & I wasn't interested at all.
Nothing to watch a week of so ago & decided to tune into a Team North America game. A lot of credit for these 23 & under players.

USA was terrible overall, mgt. coach, & players.

Team Europe was the team that was playing WHY?. Their coach Krueger will be the first coach hired this season in NHL when available. He made a team of misfits & a very few good players & playing in the final best 2 or 3.

This is happening again in 2020. Changes??

September 27, 2016 @ 7:33 PM

Rob J

I'm really trying not to be needlessly cynical, but you're bang on. Their mistake was calling it a 'World Cup' as if every country in the world had a shot at qualifying a la baseball, basketball, and soccer. I'm sure we'll see a version of this event in 2020, but I hope the needed tweaks see fruition. McCown's idea of using the springtime's World Championship as a qualifyer is logical.

September 27, 2016 @ 7:36 PM

Gary Middleton

Sounds like this tournament was for the most part a lead balloon and the NHL needs to be at the Olympics.

September 28, 2016 @ 1:32 AM

GDB

I just cannot seem to get into this tournament. I think I would rather have Mike Babcock working with the Leafs right now instead of this cash grab tournament.

September 28, 2016 @ 9:11 AM

mrmojorisinca

its been entertaining for the most part.
Team NA was incredible, but it may not work again because not every 4 years will there be a class like the one they had this year..also to many players who stood out would make their Senior teams in four years (and the states need them) and Canada well everyone wants to see McDavid play with the leaf on his chest if he continues to grow as a player.

For the good of the game, some nation needs to try and compete against Canada, make it somewhat close at the very least.

Team Sweden should have been in the final but they played for a draw against NA and the same risk free hockey against Europe and that why they aren't playing in the final

September 28, 2016 @ 11:02 AM

Wally

Growing up with soccer the term "World Cup" is near and dear to me

What puts me off from watching is the fact that this tournament is not a representation of the world, or even the hockey world. Countries (regardless of skill level) should have the ability to qualify for this tournament. Sure we are all Canadian and want Canada to win, but some of the biggest headlines come from a small country defeating a giant of the sport (say...Iceland?). Once Team NA and Team Europe was announced to be part of the tournament I felt this was much less a World Cup and much more an intramural scrimmage.

In the future even if it is kept as an 8 team tournament, countries with professional hockey leagues (not amateur or beer) should be given an opportunity to quality.

September 28, 2016 @ 12:47 PM

chris

Canada wins with probably their WORST 2 games played in this so called World Cup.
The trophy should have been handed to team Europe who were initially the laughing stock of the tournament, with the lowest odds of winning.

Crosby, Marchand & especially Carey Price made this team the winner. Canada wins, NHL wins & everyone is happy, just like the script was written.

September 29, 2016 @ 11:32 PM

Dawn Keibals

I guess the "House League " tournament achieved all it's goals. It made money for The NHLPA,The NHL,MLSE and rogers.
That was the plan from the start wasn't it ?
Oh and Stub-hub made some coin also.
For the hockey fan...ehh

September 30, 2016 @ 2:51 AM

Tyler

At the end of the day, it's another opportunity to see some great hockey. It might not be set up in the best format, but I expected it to be competitive at the end, and what can I say, the finish was pretty amazing. I'll I want is to watch it at a better location with better atmosphere, but that's all on me. Cheers.

September 30, 2016 @ 9:48 AM