Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 189: Liza Fromer

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 189In this 189th episode, Mike chats with Liza Fromer about her years on Breakfast Television, Global's The Morning Show and so much more. This episode is exactly 1:32:06.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Liza Fromer and Me

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Anonymous

The miracle of hair and make-up for television.

August 12, 2016 @ 2:37 PM

@Anonymous

Such a mean comment. No wonder you left it anonymously.

I'd delete it, but we actually talked about makeup on TV. She once removed all her makeup on The Morning Show to show the difference. Yes folks, people look different with fake eyelashes and loads of makeup.

August 12, 2016 @ 3:04 PM

Anon & On & On & On

@Anonymous: Let's see a picture so we can judge your looks accordingly, hmmm?

August 12, 2016 @ 3:33 PM

Andrew

Seems like @Anonymous is giant douce bag.
Always seems the d-bags don't use their name.
I bet ya he/she wears a Bluetooth headset with their phone when they're not in the car. That's a top 10 sign they're a douche.

Andrew

August 12, 2016 @ 3:59 PM

Albert Reda

Excellent episode! I really like Liza here.

August 12, 2016 @ 6:08 PM

Colton_Cash

Anonymous should know that the TMS gang have appeared on their show without makeup at least twice, in an effort to show that people DO look quite different when off-camera. I've always liked that Liza doesn't pretend to lead a super-glamorous lifestyle and lets herself be seen more naturally.

Seriously, you don't really think everyone on TV and film actually look that way 24/7 do you?

August 12, 2016 @ 7:13 PM

dale

Thanks for the mention. No need. U deserve it with you do everything with your site.
Enjoy your vacation.

August 12, 2016 @ 7:58 PM

Betty

So good to hear your voice again Liza !! Hope we get to listen or watch u again some day , love fr Edmonton Alberta ! Enjoy the rest if the summer !

August 12, 2016 @ 10:01 PM

Colton_Cash

Listened to the podcast & was impressed with Mike's interviewing skills. He asked some great questions & Liza gave some refreshingly honest answers (though I still feel Dave Gerry was fired from TMS). Was impressed when Mike asked if folks would deflate their salaries to avoid becoming a target at the next purge. Wondered that myself MANY times. Also impressed with Liza acknowledging that if ratings aren't high enough to justify her salary then it's understandable why Corus beancounters would lay her off.

Only disappointment: Liza joking that she'd never do the "TMS Stripdown" today because she's gained a bit of weight. The purpose of Denise Jolly’s underwear campaign was to never be embarrassed of one's body. Only doing an underwear photoshoot when you are sexy & slender but not willing to do it when *slightly* heavier misses the point. Kris was preggers & probably heavier than Liza today yet Kris looked great in her pics & not embarrassed at all. Saying "no" now, is a bad message to send out to other women when you're a role model to them.

August 13, 2016 @ 6:00 AM

RJ

Another great episode, TM! (A couple other botches that came to mind were Bob Cole's 1999 Cup winner and Jim Hughson's noncall of Kane's Cup winner in 2010...CBC re-did Cole's call but the original is still on youtube)

August 13, 2016 @ 9:22 AM

Gail

Liza, you're so honest and open. This was such a great chat I listened twice!!!

August 13, 2016 @ 1:30 PM

Tron

Thanks so much ToMike for asking my questions, I had to rush to get them in before the "early afternoon" deadline. It was a great interview. Liza reassured why I thought she one of the city top media personaliies.

Her answers on doing a good interview is perfect. BTW Mike I also thought of CP24 in general for the opposite. One of my favorite things Jon Stewart said is being fair does not mean letting somebody obviously lying to your audience. I thought it was insightful in her thoughts of the Oakley cross promotion and she felt similar to me. I just thought the personalities and the type of audience that connects to those opposite it felt like a corporate cross promotion more than anything. Also glad that she enjoyed the Carolyn pairing, I thought that was her best on air partner as they their personalities are different but mixed pretty well.

LIke most people said on here, she was just so honest and open. Has anybody every said their understanding that their contract might not match the ratings. I was stunned when she said that. Hell I am just a shmuck but even I wouldn't say that about myself.... out loud that is lol. I have no idea about ratings but if we are talking talent she deserves every penny (I know they don't make pennies)

Great going through Liza's career, I forgot about the short lived John Moore connection, I was a regular Moore listener at the time.

August 13, 2016 @ 5:52 PM

Anthony

I miss Liza every morning, I can't wait to listen to this interview. I really hope she gets into another media job, I always enjoyed her opinions & interviews :)

August 13, 2016 @ 8:18 PM

Beatts

Wow! Liza was fantastic. Probably my favorite interview you've done yet Mike. Was a fan from the BT days and recently switched over to global when some of the BT personalities became too grating on my nerves. She was honest and forthright. I have to admit, hearing her let a few swear words rip turned me on...

Good stuff.

August 15, 2016 @ 4:54 PM

JR

Mike does a good service getting the skinny on a lot of radio people we've "known" for a long time. Sometimes we like them more, sometimes less. Fromer is what she is, and someone tell her there's plenty of bias on CNN, CBC etc. but they don't own up to it. Whatever....

The morning weather show was much better in those days, especially with Martine. Robin Ward, whatever happened to him? He was the Weather Network man on the street back then.

On the negative side, I hate having to fast forward 15 minutes all the time with this podcast. When it gets going it can be illuminating, but the preambles go on too long. Sometimes it's All About Mike and that's not why I tune in.

August 15, 2016 @ 5:40 PM

Gary M

I don't know if this is just as bad as Anonymous since we're not supposed to be judging looks, but I think Liza looks great here!

August 18, 2016 @ 2:33 AM

Brian

Haven't listened yet (about to), but just wanted to say I've been a fan of Liza's since the Video & Arcade Top 10. Her dad and my dad where friends, and he (my dad) was responsible for Dave wearing a kilt in public. :) Liza's parents where incredibly kind and thoughtful when they heard of my dad's passing, and just wanted to relate that little tidbit. :)

August 20, 2016 @ 5:21 PM

Ima Fakeologist

Mike,
Good interview, but there was more Mike than Liza. Just invert your talk time with hers and then it would have been great.
The more I hear you talk to old media people, the happier I am that it's dying off fast. I'd rather pay for amateurs than listen to corporate drivel.

September 15, 2016 @ 12:18 PM