The Sad, Senseless Death of Christina Grimmie

In August of 2013, I took my oldest daughter to her first concert. She wanted to see Selena Gomez at the ACC and I bought a couple of tickets. It was the first pop concert I ever attended.

The opening act was an artist named Christina Grimmie. I didn't know a thing about her, but as I wrote at the time, she was great and one of her songs really got to me. That song was With Love, and my daughter and I shared an admiration for that song that survives to this very day.

It just so happens that today was one of those jam-packed father-daughter days. My alarm went off early so I could bike to High Park with my daughter for the High Park Derby, a soccer tournament her house league team was participating in. Then, on our ride home along the Waterfront Trail, we spotted Toronto Raptor James Johnson, who was kind enough to pose for a pic with my Raptors-loving little girl. Then, it was off to her second of four dance recitals this weekend.

While at this 1pm dance recital, I decided to check in on Twitter. That's when I read the news. 22-year old Christina Grimmie was dead.

Christina was shot while signing autographs after a performance. It was a targeted killing by someone who had taken his own life after shooting her three times. It was so senseless and sad. After my daughter's performance, I sat her down and told her the news.

Our father-daughter day continued, with a visit to the Grilled Cheese Challenge and SanRemo Bakery, and soon, yet another dance recital. And we still have With Love, only now, it's a bittersweet memory. So very sad... so very senseless...

Rob J

I don't know you, but you are a great dad, Mike.

June 11, 2016 @ 6:50 PM

Karen

Chilling. Reminds me of John Lennon.

June 11, 2016 @ 9:14 PM

James Edgar

Yes you are great afar Mike . Sorry for your loss . Until the news today I'd not heard of her

June 11, 2016 @ 10:36 PM

Irv

If you haven't read in the same city there are now up to 50 people dead from a gay nightclub shooting.......

June 12, 2016 @ 10:32 AM

argie

@Irv
All killed in the name of Islam. Isn't it supposed to be Ramadan?

June 12, 2016 @ 5:36 PM

Irv

Actually Argie I'm curious of the Feds will label the Westboro Baptist Church terrorists. They run the website godhatesfaggots and at one time let you click on an image of Matt Shepard, a gay guy who was tortured and murdered, to hear him scream in hell.

It's not terrorism. It's a hate crime.

June 12, 2016 @ 7:37 PM

argie

@IRV
Firstly the scum that killed Shepard didn't know he was gay. Secondly the Westboro freaks haven't killed anyone.

Therefore your post is factually incorrect and meaningless. Thanks for coming out.

June 12, 2016 @ 9:02 PM

Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson most definitely knew Matthew Shepard was gay.

June 12, 2016 @ 9:17 PM