Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 173: Marc Weisblott from Twelve Thirty Six

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 173In this 173rd episode, Mike chats with Marc Weisblott about his years on the bleeding edge of online journalism, his Toronto email newsletter Twelve Thirty Six and a wide assortment of Toronto-centric tidbits. This episode is exactly 1:26:35.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Anonymous

Awesome show. Love Marc Weisblott.

May 11, 2016 @ 11:03 PM

Mike L

Marc rules

May 11, 2016 @ 11:26 PM

Anon

Marc should do a weekly podcast in addition to his newsletter, he's really well spoken, I loved his stories.

May 12, 2016 @ 9:41 AM

markosaar

Love this ... also I think the end inspired me to run my own podcast! Just need to work out certain problems with the subject I want to run with.

May 12, 2016 @ 10:28 AM

Derek

A bit of a Gilbert Gottfried going on with his voice. Very enjoyable!

May 12, 2016 @ 11:21 AM

Anon&on

Invisible City is a great ( Canadian, Toronto) podcast by Jennifer Keesmaat, Chief Planner of the City of Toronto.
Should be perfect for you Mike. Only 5 full episodes in, a superb production from the first minute of the first episode with original music for each episode.

May 12, 2016 @ 9:07 PM

@1236

a little too much irony in that we started off talking about the lack of a big bang in the online journalism scene circa 2004 ... followed by years of everything conflated into part of the same small-time silliness until greater clarity arrived (even if it remains a little too fuzzy for most companies) ... and now a similar state for #realtalk podcasting around these parts in 2016 ...

May 12, 2016 @ 10:14 PM

trashcompactorzine

Great interview. I would have liked to hear more about his CIUT show which is where I first became aware of Marc (and some others). Over the years all the best shows were on CIUT.

May 13, 2016 @ 10:15 AM

Arthur Wellesley

Riveting podcast. That was quite the peanut butter bagel story Mike.

May 13, 2016 @ 4:30 PM

Nothing beat the peanut butter bagels from the El Amigo Restaurant stand in the Galleria Mall .

May 13, 2016 @ 7:42 PM

Justin

Fantastic podcast. Marc has a uniquely strong grasp on the evolution of media in this market throughout the years. He was very insightful and well-spoken. Great guest Mike.

I also want to say - 1236 is an amazing newsletter and one of those simple pleasures I look forward to every day. There's content in there that you can't get anywhere else and it and is a nice refresh from the increasingly generic and corpratized BlogTO and Torontoist. There was a void in interesting toronto-specific content that 1236 now takes care of, in a way that only the Toronto subreddit ever came close to matching. A must read and highly reccomended. Kudos to you Marc.

May 14, 2016 @ 1:56 PM

trashcompactorzine

I'm glad to hear Marc will be back on next month! Terrific.

May 18, 2016 @ 10:33 AM

trashcompactorzine

I'm glad to hear Marc will be back on next month! Terrific.

May 18, 2016 @ 10:33 AM

@trashcompactorzine

How do you know he'll be back next month if it's never been announced?

May 18, 2016 @ 11:11 AM

trashcompactorzine

I think it has been...at least according to Marc's Facebook feed. Sorry if I overstepped.

"will be doing another Toronto Mike'd podcast June 6 or so talking about the fall of 1050 CHUM (30 years to the day!) and rise of MuchMusic and perhaps other '80s teen cult stuff (or at least Uncle Bobby) — along with who else but Retrontario"

May 18, 2016 @ 2:36 PM

@trashcompactorzine

It's cool, no worries, I was just curious because I haven't put anything out there yet and I didn't see a tweet from @1236 or @retrontario.

All good! We've got something very cool up our sleeves.

May 18, 2016 @ 3:02 PM