Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 172: KJ

Toronto Mike'd Podcast Episode 172In this 172nd episode, Mike chats with boom 973 DJ KJ about his years on 680 CFTR as Kris James, how he ended up on boom and everything in between. This episode is exactly 1:10:41.

You can listen to this episode in a variety of ways:

Become a Patron

Catch up on all episodes of Toronto Mike'd and subscribe here.

Toronto Mike'd Podcast

Anon&on

Rough start, was actually yelling at my phone for you to tell KJ to get on the mic- but then it all came together. Even though KJ sounded very relaxed and casual, he sounded like a pro, or his pro talents really showed through. So easy with banter and quick wit. Another entertaining edition.
This episode was an interesting bit of a '6 degrees of'. Lots of tie-ins to previous guests/episodes.
That would be so Canadian if the guests didn't actually get the parting gift, maybe they just get a coupon for 20% off the product instead.

I wonder if you couldn't find a guest or two who were in radio management (someone who isn't under the thumb of a corp) to talk about the Toronto market past/present. Lots of your questions (and mine) seem to be directed there.

May 8, 2016 @ 8:14 PM

@Anon&on

I could tell right away that he was drifting off mic, but I did my best to remind him of our pre-recording chat.

I was worried for a bit that KJ might slug me if I asked another CFTR question. :)

May 8, 2016 @ 8:50 PM

The CFTR imaging guy, by the way, was Mitch Craig.

Optimus Prime is Peter Cullen.

May 8, 2016 @ 9:42 PM

DUTCHMAN

Chickenman bock bock bock BWAAAACK!!

May 8, 2016 @ 10:44 PM

Jody Thornton

Mitch Craig Productions remained on imaging for Rogers "News" stations until a few years ago. Also, he was used on WKSE in Buffalo in the 80s and 90s.

May 9, 2016 @ 3:59 AM

@DUTCHMAN

Chickenman! I've been remembering that character as Super Chicken!

May 9, 2016 @ 8:27 AM

Derek

The "Unfriendly Giant" was one of my favourite bits Tom Rivers did.

BTW- my former radio co-host never once left me a note with an axe through it. I guess the radio industry really has gone soft!!

D

May 9, 2016 @ 10:54 AM

Arthur

That was cringing to listen to. I learned virtually nothing about KJ. As listeners, we want to be engaged by the stories of whose being interviewed, not the interviewer. You talked way too much about yourself.

A.

May 9, 2016 @ 11:21 AM

@Arthur

I apologize. Much if this has to do with chemistry and reading someone you just met on the fly.

And it's not an interview, it's a conversation. I have no interest in conducting an interview.

May 9, 2016 @ 11:24 AM

Arthur

Label it what you will, in my opinion it was brutal to listen to.

May 9, 2016 @ 12:28 PM

@Arthur

Understood. You didn't enjoy episode 172. Duly noted.

I will say after 172 episodes I'm pretty good at knowing what I'm going to get from someone. KJ warned me out of the gate he wasn't comfortable talking about himself or the past. Trust me when I tell you I extracted everything we were going to get about KJ.

May 9, 2016 @ 1:19 PM

Jonathan Giggs

Your podcasts will improve if you apply lessons from valid criticism, but perhaps that isn't your goal.

May 9, 2016 @ 1:22 PM

Andrew

@ Johnathan

That was a little offside, don't you think? It's not an interview... it's a chat. If someone doesn't want to chat, then it's like pulling teeth from an unwanted patient. For someone who has worked in the broadcast industry for over 20 years, I've seen and been involved in many 'cringe' worthy moments. Have you listened to all 172 episodes? Have you not heard the evolution of Mike's podcast?

If you have valid critiques then share them - maybe Mike's goal will change if strong evidence is presented - or, you just don't have to listen

@ Arthur

See comments above... I turned it off after the first minute or so, but that's because of the technical and Mike's guest. No interest to me.

On a side note, if I have critiques of the show, I email them privately to Mike or DM him.... that's just good manners.

Looking forward to Maestro whenever he shows up!

Cheers,
Andrew

May 9, 2016 @ 1:41 PM

Karen

I really enjoyed this episode.

May 9, 2016 @ 2:20 PM

@Jonathan Giggs

I'm sorry if I came across as defensive. I'm working on that.

I actually want feedback, both good and bad, and do try and improve these episodes.

Like Andrew said, there's been a pretty solid improvement from episode one. I enjoyed my chat with KJ... Not every episode will be adored by everyone.

May 9, 2016 @ 2:27 PM

Alan

As a guy who has listened to about 100 of these episodes, I feel compelled to chime in.

The KJ conversation was absolutely fine. It was back and forth and sounded natural. Has there been better? Ron MacLean was better. David Marsden was better. George Strombo was better. Mike Richards was better. KJ, however, was an entertaining 70 minutes.

Considering what I paid for this entertainment and how many great hours I've spent with this podcast, I just want to thank Mike for what he's done.

May 9, 2016 @ 3:07 PM

Arthur

Thanks Mike,

I do enjoy most of the guests you have and congratulate you on your ability to procure same.

My main criticism is not making the "chats" about you, but about your guests. No offence intended, it's your show, but as a listener, I find your anecdotes laborious. The time it takes for your asides, takes away from the time we could be listening to the guest. Sometimes you cut off the guest with an aside and their train of thought is gone and we miss out on what they were going to say, making it very disjointed,

I have listened to many of your podcasts, (if the guest appeals to me), and to your time with H&F.

Please accept this in the spirit it is intended...

May 9, 2016 @ 3:47 PM

@Arthur

In a few episodes, I have Ingrid Schumacher coming over. She's been on the radio in this city for four decades, all on CHUM FM. I'll try and do less asides with her.

May 9, 2016 @ 4:05 PM

Arthur

Thanks for the heads up. I look forward to hearing her.

May 9, 2016 @ 4:11 PM

Karim

Good to hear from BOOM personalities, and interesting that you brought up Q in conversation. Come to think of it I don't think you've ever had any Q personalities on Toronto Mike'd.

May 10, 2016 @ 2:00 PM

@Karim

I extended invitations to both John Derringer and Andy Frost but never heard back from either. ;(

Joanne Wilder said she'd be on the show. I just have to get around to scheduling that.

May 10, 2016 @ 2:08 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Toronto Mike: It would be really cool if you managed to get all 3 from the Q, especially Andy Frost and Joanne Wilder who were on in the 90's when Q had the pure rock format which was my favorit. Actually I think Andy started in the 80's, and Jon was there for a bit in the 90's before he went to the fan, but I could be wrong on that one.

It would be really cool if you managed to get Jeff Woods on. I'm sure he's got some stories and that would be a really good podcast.

May 10, 2016 @ 5:13 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

I remember Derringer on Q107 hosting the Six O’Clock Rock Report. Then, he left Q for CHOM FM in Montreal before coming back to Toronto on The Fan 590.

May 10, 2016 @ 5:25 PM