Help Jason Find Internet for his Mom

Back in the day, I would post "guest blog entries" from readers. I had a form for this and everything. Today, if you want this treatment, you're going to have to send me an email.

That's what Jason from Sudbury did, and this entry was written by him.

First, @Toronto Mike: Thank you for publishing this, I really appreciate it.

So my parents are moving to Waterloo next month and I'm being sent on a mission. My mission...help them get internet. My mom has no clue about upload/download speeds, caps, etc. So I have to look around for them. They're looking for highspeed, they have a 50 mb/s connection right now which is good. I'm also trying to avoid Rogers and Bell, especially Rogers cause I know they have an 80 gig cap. They got an android box so I'm trying to either find a plan with no cap or if anything high enough that I know they won't go over it.

Here's where you guys come in. If you live in the Waterloo area, who's your ISP? How much are you paying? Do you have a cap? Help me be a good son and get my parents internet.

Jason from Sudbury

Cambo

These guys... and no one else. 400GB cap is more than plenty.

Local (London), personal service...great price, great bang for the buck.

May 18, 2016 @ 11:15 AM

Irv

That I can help you on.

Long time service provider is Sentex. They're in Cambridge and located on Holiday Inn Drive. They are an independent provider & been in business since the 90's. URL is sentex.ca

There is also kw.igs.net. They've also been around since the 90's. Their website is still up & running but I have no idea who owns them, etc anymore.

There is also http://www.worldline.ca/services/high-speed-internet/dsl/ They started a dial up company called 295.ca which was dial up internet for $2.95. I believe the mothership is Fibernetics which is located in the region.

There is also www.golden.net aka Execulink. They were the first big player in the dial up business in the region. They managed to make the jump to the whole cable/dsl realm

I separate my business traffic & residential traffic at home (dual connections). My residential cap is 400 GB a month. I have no cable and rely entirely on Apple TV and Netflix. I have never exceeded the cap.

Also, you'll find more flexibility with DSL in terms of what region the provider serves. And while DSL is slower it's usually solid in terms of performance. Cable internet can slow down at peak times. With DSL you get your own circuit.

PS. Thanks for supporting an independent provider.

May 18, 2016 @ 11:38 AM

Sid_V

I am in Kitchener and have DSL through Fibernetics - they bought my original provider along with a bunch of other small providers all over the country. Their residential services are now marketed through Worldline (see above). I have been very satisfied with them, they have an optional unlimited bandwidth and also will bundle up home phone and long distance services.

A lot of the university crowd swears by TekSavvy, but I have not had any compelling reason to switch. Cost versus performance seems very similar.

May 18, 2016 @ 1:52 PM

Sid_V

A bit more detail - I have DSL 10, which nets about 8.5Mb/s according to Speedtest. For $5/month I would upgrade to DSL 15, but it would mean a new modem which I don't want to pay for right now. For a new install I would not hesitate.

As is, I can stream Netflix at 1080p on my TV while several other computers are on-line, without any issues. Cost is as per the website - $45/math.

May 18, 2016 @ 2:03 PM

Anonymous

@Sid_V

Yep, they bought out Nucleus Information Services in Alberta/BC a couple years ago. Worldline started as a long distance company that affiliated itself with newspapers (Toronto Sun Long Distance). You dialed a number, listened to an advertisement & then called your number. It works on cell phones too. It was an early incarnation of VoIP. The owners of the company (Jody/John) had great ideas but were admittedly ahead of their time getting their first venture off the ground.

TekSaavy had no bandwidth caps so that might of interested in the university crowds when file sharing was at it's peak. Those still matter as the vast majority of internet traffic is now Youtube & Netflix.

There was also SGCI but it appears they were sold & no longer do internet.

May 18, 2016 @ 2:10 PM

Irv

Sorry Anonymous was me. 10 Mbps is about as low as I'd got if you're streaming Netflix. 15 Mbps should easily suffice given their older folks without a flock of kids around.

May 18, 2016 @ 2:15 PM

Sid_V

@Anonymous, my original provider was Idirect, bought by Look (remember the microwave line-of-site TV service from the CNN Tower?), bought by Telnet in Oshawa, now owned by Fibernetics. Changing is not an option because my significant other does not want to change her e-mail adress. 😠

May 18, 2016 @ 2:20 PM

Irv

Idirect.ca. I remember that company long long ago (early dialup provider). I think they had some association with Tucows too (which is Canadian). I also remember Look. It was an interesting idea, but the concept of an antenna on a house was probably too much for most. It would have made more sense in rural areas of the country at the time.

I get the whole email thing. Email is pretty much a "must have" in life, yet it's still pretty clunky overall. Change is difficult & if registering with a service like Gmail, you don't have much choice name wise (unless you want joe.blow.125547 or something.

May 18, 2016 @ 2:33 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Hmm. Start looks good and their prices are reasonable. I know they won't even come close to using 400 gb a month. Gonna look into TekSavvy too.

The other interesting thing with Start, looks like they also provide service in Sudbury too. I've got Eastlink now, but I've been wanting to look for something better and cheaper so Start might be an option for me here in Sudbury. I need to look into it further though.

May 18, 2016 @ 2:44 PM

Cambo

@jason

The they provide service pretty much wherever Bell,Rogers,Cogeco,Eastlink, etc are. They are a wholesaler, not a reseller (big difference).

I've been with them for 3 years now and very happy. Dial them up and talk to someone. That simple.

May 18, 2016 @ 3:12 PM

Ben V

Primus is the best. Their customer service is the best. Bell is always calling me. I don't want Bell because Primus is the best. I think you should do primus so that you can stream the orioles on your moms TV. The orioles are going to win the world series because they are the best or the Diamond backs might. I want both to win so I win my baseball pool. Some guy died and that ruined the pool for a week... I don't understand why people die during fantasy baseball season. Primus is the best.

May 18, 2016 @ 3:19 PM

Argie

@Ben
It took me your 3rd mention of Primus before I caught on. Thanks for reminding us of that vintage Cheryl moment (guy in the baseball pool dying before the conclusion of said pool). Brilliant.

May 18, 2016 @ 3:34 PM

Dawn Keibals

@ Ben V...OH MI SIDE...laffing so much it hurts...CLASSIC...

Can't wait for a rude reply from hippy tree hugger...

May 18, 2016 @ 5:57 PM

Irv

Speaking of internet speeds, check out fast.com to test your internet speeds. It's a little smoother than speedtest.net.

May 19, 2016 @ 10:45 AM

markosaar

Aw but fast.com doesn't give me the little graphic to brag with (as if anyone gives a crap)

I never want to move.

May 19, 2016 @ 4:30 PM

Irv

@markosaar,

While ago I secured a CISCO wireless system. Downstream was nearly 300 Mbps of internet when it was wide open on a Saturday. I occasionally go to Seattle and they have gigabit fiber to the house in some places. Me wants. And it's relatively cheap too.

May 21, 2016 @ 1:17 PM

fourteen

Cambo, you post messed up your post. Who is the wholesaler you are recommending?

May 22, 2016 @ 9:07 AM

Henry Schwab

I am using https://www.acanac.com/ and believe me it is the best out there in terms of service and price.

January 4, 2017 @ 5:06 AM

Keith

I have been used this without issues for 10 months,
cheapest unlimited FTTN Fiber high speed internet in Ontario,
you can save easily $240 every year.
www.carrytel.ca

$34.99 ---> 25M Download/ 10M Upload/ Unlimited data (I am using this)
or
$39.99 ---> 50M Download/ 10M Upload/ Unlimited data

Installation fee: $0.00 when you purchase Modem: $39 with Discount Code.
(Discount Code to get Modem $10 off: "LE10189", use this code during registration checkout)

Uses Bell DSL lines.
No Contract.
No Dryloop Fees.
No Hidden Charges.
Risk free 7-day trial
Modem Guaranteed For Life.

July 12, 2017 @ 3:02 PM