Cutting Onions

There's a Tim Hortons ad on television where the old man saves cups to commemorate life events. A guy discovers his secret box of old cups and at the end, the old guy adds one more. That's when they want me to tear up.

But I never do. There's something about that ad that seems so manipulative and contrived, it just doesn't work on me. They've got the right blueprint, but the recipe is just off.

Off the top of my head, there are a few such moments that never fail to moisten my eyes. One is actually an old Bell ad. I know this one is equally as manipulative and contrived, but it never fails to work on me. I've never been able to watch it without tearing up.

In the movies, I'm a sucker for the moment in Field of Dreams when Ray Kinsella says to his dad, "You wanna have a catch?". Every. Damn. Time.

Then, there's the ending of Big Fish. That ruins me. When I watch it with the kids, I sometimes put a cover over my head because I just sob.

What does it for you? What gets you all misty-eyed?

fourteen

When Cheryl's teams lose. Every. Damned. Day.

April 5, 2016 @ 8:43 AM

mrmojorisinca

Big Fish was Awesome :)
I only recall one time (I'm sure there are more)
After seeing PJ20 I had the sudden urge to call everyone I loved to tell them so..

April 5, 2016 @ 8:51 AM

@mrmojorisinca

Coincidentally, this is one of the books I'm about to give away. Do you want it?

April 5, 2016 @ 8:54 AM

Maurice

There is an ipad ad (European I think) where the adult daughter sees 'Dad' chopping veggies on the ipad and rinsing it off under the sink. Not all teary eyed but funny.

But for teary eyed the German grocery store ad where none of the kids are coming home for christmas and suddenly they all get notice their father died. They go to his apartment and....
That one gets me.

April 5, 2016 @ 9:11 AM

Ryan G/hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

I'm with you on Big Fish. When dud is carrying his dad down to the water to "set him free"...jeeeeeebus...I lose it.

I'm the same way with the ending of Dead Poet's Society but to a lesser extent.

Strangely though, I can't stop laughing when Morgan Freeman discovers what's in the box.

April 5, 2016 @ 9:13 AM

Maurice

Those are great clips above. Here's that German storytelling/emotional manipulation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4a-_2kybWI

April 5, 2016 @ 9:17 AM

Doug

There is a book that I used to read to my daughter when she was young called "Love You Forever" by Robert Munsch. Got me every time.

April 5, 2016 @ 9:17 AM

@Doug

I'm still reading that book. Great example.

And it's even sadder when you learn Munsch wrote that after his wife had two stillborn babies.

April 5, 2016 @ 9:20 AM

Rob J

When Cheryl's teams lose...and when Homer sits on the hood of his car staring into space when his mother goes back on the lam

April 5, 2016 @ 9:42 AM

Argie

The very end of 'Shawshank Redemption' - when Red meets up with Andy on the boat.

April 5, 2016 @ 9:54 AM

fourteen

I'll take the the book, if "Mr. " passes.

April 5, 2016 @ 9:55 AM

Al The Royal Pain

I remember that Bell commercial very well. got me every time too. Very powerful.

April 5, 2016 @ 10:22 AM

m m

Ending of Toy Story 3, where Andy takes one last look at the toys before giving them to the little girl. That silent goodbye, those damn onions.

April 5, 2016 @ 10:36 AM

Justin

Invokes memories of this Tim Horton's ad from the 2010 Olympics:

April 5, 2016 @ 10:49 AM

GUNTer

i have a recent one (i may have written about it on this blog). its an ad for cineplex odeon played before movies in the theatre. It shows a young girl build a snowman and the great winter they share together, then as spring approaches she puts him in the freezer for next year. she enjoys him for a few years, then starts to develop other interests and forgets about him in the freezer for years. then she has a daughter of her own and goes to find the snowman in the freezer and there he is.
its the worst commercial ever. i dont even know what they were trying to convey. that girl is just a mean person (yes i know its a commercial and an animated one at that). but it just makes me weep to think of that snowman sitting in the freezer all those years!!!!! waaaaaah.

April 5, 2016 @ 11:11 AM

GUNTer

@maurice.
wooo that was a doozy. and so damn true.
sob.

April 5, 2016 @ 11:14 AM

@GUNTer

Here it is... nice Genesis cover.

April 5, 2016 @ 11:14 AM

Hamish Grant

I'm a sucker for those "Soldiers Returning Home and Surprising Their Loved Ones" videos on YouTube.

Here's a nice compilation with perfect music.

April 5, 2016 @ 11:15 AM

Maurice

holy god that snowman commercial is disturbing. :-)

April 5, 2016 @ 11:31 AM

mrmojorisinca

Giving it away? WHY OR WHY ? :)
Its ok, I already have a copy, but thanks :)

April 5, 2016 @ 11:53 AM

Confession

I know this isn't in the same category (in terms of frequency I mean) but I caught Pixar's take on "The Little Matchgirl" over the holidays and found myself weeping uncontrollably for a good while after. It wasn't like I didn't know what was going to happen and I certainly don't remember reacting in the same way on hearing the story as a child. So I've concluded that it must have something to do with getting old and becoming a parent. Kids, geesh!!!

April 5, 2016 @ 12:46 PM

James Edgar

Disneys Up . When the old guy is remembering his life with his wife.

And of course pretty much all of the Dirty Dozen.

April 5, 2016 @ 12:55 PM

Douglas

Not quite "tears in the eyes", but I would put this one in a group along with the Bell "Dieppe" ad. The Canadian Tire "Bike" ad. https://youtu.be/3Q3rJ76D_wQ

April 5, 2016 @ 2:16 PM

Ben V

I'm with Argie. Shawshank Redemption ending on the beach in Zihuatanejo gets me every single time

April 5, 2016 @ 2:18 PM

Rme

I loved the "Dad, want'a play catch?" from "Fields of Dreams". However, my all time favourite is again another baseball metapor of life moment. HBO produced "When It was a Game" showing colour films from the 40s and 50s. If you can watch the whole hour, great. But the final minute is a poem by Grantland Rice called, "Game Called". Wonderful! *sniff*.

April 5, 2016 @ 5:15 PM

Rme

April 5, 2016 @ 5:15 PM

Rme

P.S. The end of "Shawshank" great too! Along with the end of "Miracle on 34 Street"....the original.

April 5, 2016 @ 5:22 PM

dale

I used to have a 25 sq. foot rug in our family room (2005).
I've watched Mrs. Doubtfire with Robin Williams as 1 one of my faves many times since then. The ending does me in every time & wifey does the same. We can't look at each other for a few moments until dry eyes.
The carpet is now 2 sq. feet. Gotta buy a new one.
Mrs. Doubtfire was great at cutting onions during the movie also.

April 5, 2016 @ 6:26 PM

Anonymous

James Stewart as Jefferson Smith: I guess this is just another lost cause Mr. Paine. All you people don't know about lost causes. Mr. Paine does. He said once they were the only causes worth fighting for and he fought for them once. For the only reason any man ever fights for them. Because of just one plain simple rule. Love thy neighbor. And in this world today of great hatred a man who knows that rule has a great trust. You know that rule Mr. Paine and I loved you for it just as my father did. And you know that you fight harder for the lost causes than for any others. Yes you'd even die for them. Like a man we both knew Mr. Paine. You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked. Well I'm not licked. And I'm gonna stay right here and fight for this lost cause. Even if this room gets filled with lies like these. And the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me.
[he collapses]

April 5, 2016 @ 7:25 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Wow Maurice, that put a catch in my throat. Funny when I went to view this video, Rogers had an ad about a dad who drives truck across the province every day and it has his sweet 3 daughters face timing with him on his mobile. Very touching, as i can relate travelling several times a month, and my kids growing up while away.

April 5, 2016 @ 8:19 PM

DUTCH

Stand by me the last 10 minutes or maybe Forrest Gump when he says goodbye to his mother "onions"

April 5, 2016 @ 8:25 PM

@mrmojorisinca

I'm trying to shed as many belongings as possible.

@fourteen

It's yours if you want it. It's in pristine condition. Let me know!

April 6, 2016 @ 9:52 AM

Ajax Mike

The Incredibles has two moments. The first is the scene where missiles are fired on the jet carrying 3/4's of the family. The controlled panic and desperation in Helen's voice sends a chill down my spine every time.

The second is a little later when Mr. Incredible has a mini breakdown/breakthrough and admits that's he's not strong enough to face losing his family again.

April 7, 2016 @ 6:56 PM