Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

The Voice of Reason

I listen to Toronto Mike'd and Hubmle and Fred. It used to be you couldn't hear a month without a glowing statement about you. A story about your wedding or your help with the podcast or what a dear friend you are. I even heard them say you're the biggest reason their show exists outside of the two of them.

But they haven't mentioned you in a long, long time. Since Fred was a guest on your podcast andafter that awkward attack on you by Humble. Either you're now viewed as competition and persona non grata or there's been a falling out.

You bent over backwards for these guys, what happened?

March 4, 2016 @ 9:35 AM

Cheryl

I'm first again so two weeks in a row I'm first. I really love being first. Anyway, my Habs lost. You know what. Maybe they should just tank. Well, if only they had Carey Price. Anyway, my Coyotes lost as well. Hockey stinks this year, but we have baseball coming up in a month until opening day. Anyway, the Brier pool. I just joined it. I didn't know if there would be one this year, but there is for $20.0 if I win. I took Menard. They'll win. Sure they will. I'll get my money. My trainer still takes Go and TTC to get to Toronto. He's going to try to get his uncle to fix his car. I don't know when or if it can be fixed though. My guess is that he will probably be on public transit for a couple months. Either way he won't have a car for a couple months because it will take some timei for his uncle to fix it or if they get a new vehicle, he will get his wife's car, but he will have to learn how to drive all over again because it's a standard and as of now he only drives automatic cars. He's going to need lots of lessons to get comfortable with a standard. Anyway, Bell is coming to my apartment on Tuesday. I don't want them. They have to be in my place for half an hour. I don't want fibe. They're probably going to tell me I really should switch back to Bell. There's no way I'm doing that. I am sticking with Primus and I am going to laugh my head off when there will be people complaining about Bell being down and I wioll be still on the internet because I have Primus. Anyway, I am not going back to Bell. Primus is a lot better and I wish they didn't have some many Bell commercials during Habs games. Put them on Leafs games instead.

March 4, 2016 @ 9:38 AM

The Voice of Reason

@ Cheryl

Cheryl, if you do not Bell entering your apartment, you do not have to let them in. I would call them up and advise Bell that you do not need them in your apartment and therefore they will not have access to it.

March 4, 2016 @ 9:44 AM

McNulty

@ Voice of Reason

Read between the lines. You've asked twice and haven't got an answer. My guess it is none of yours, mine or anyone's business.

@ Cheryl

Nope. You were second. Close though!

@ Argie

I may kick myself, but I am actually curious about your honest thoughts on Trump. Not Hilary! But Trump.

March 4, 2016 @ 9:47 AM

The Voice of Reason

It is a shame and Highway robbery that consumers are held for ransom to get an HD signal for every one of their TV's even though all TV's built in the last 5-10 years are all capable of receiving all the unscrambled digital signals provided by the cable company.

The CRTC should have stepped in years ago when HDTV started to take off. The shame is on them. The ground rules should have been laid out at that time.

The cable companies are just capitalizing on the CRTC's lack of action, insight or KNOWLEDGE on the subject! What else is new?

Toronto Mike.....where are you? What are your thoughts on this?

March 4, 2016 @ 9:58 AM

Argie

@McNulty
Well since you asked......Trump is not the ideal candidate but who or whatever it takes to keep the Dems out of the White House is OK with me.

Sure he's an egomaniac, maybe a little crazy and I don't agree with him on a lot of things but Cruz and Rubio are still too young and lesser known to defeat Clinton. Nowadays, political results are driven by a movement. We saw it in 2008 with Obama and last fall with JT. Trump is just another movement.

March 4, 2016 @ 10:01 AM

@The Voice of Reason

Are you the commenter formerly known as Quint?

March 4, 2016 @ 10:08 AM

Rob J

Love how trump vows to repeal the first ammendment and order the US army to commit war crimes and its out of the news-cycle in 12 hours. But yeah, keep the Dems out of the White House by all means!

March 4, 2016 @ 10:24 AM

McNulty

@ Argie

I think the "just keep the Dems out of the White House" is the fallacy in your argument. I am by no means a Clinton supporter, but Trump? Your comments acknowledge he would be a terrible President. To what extreme, I am not sure.

I would disagree that Rubio wouldn't be able to defeat Clinton. I think once the election started going he could defeat her. But the true candidate would have been Boehner. I am not a Republican and disagree with most of their views but Trump is a disaster waiting to happen.

The Trump we see is someone who is actually holding back. If he wins and becomes President it will be a sideshow that could harm the economy and possibly cause a lot of unrest. Although I would hope the Senate and Congress would block his craziest ideas.

But thanks for the honest views. I didn't think you would support his inane ideas.

March 4, 2016 @ 10:57 AM

GAry

Trump getting the Republican nomination might just give Hilary the victory. Having said that....I see no one in the race in either party as being a capable President. Where is the world heading.....

March 4, 2016 @ 11:05 AM

The Voice of Reason

Why doesn't Tim Hortons have a fleet of coffee truck servicing factories, construction sites, offices, etc like those independent trucks we see all the time pulling up to these places?

They could use local Tim Hortons restaurants in the area to supply coffee, donuts, and sandwiches.

It seems like an untapped market for them.

What am I missing?

March 4, 2016 @ 11:06 AM

Argie

@McNulty
"The Trump we see is someone who is actually holding back"
That's where I disagree. I think a lot of stuff he says is just blowing smoke and/or trying to appeal to his ardent followers. If you look into the controversy about his New York Times interview, it appears he says the whole building a wall is not a real possibility. Of course, he wont release the off the record recordings because he fears he would lose support from said ardent supporters.

I must admit though, he is damn funny. His lines about Rosie O'Donnell and Romney crack me up.

March 4, 2016 @ 11:07 AM

Ben V

Keeping the Dems out of the white house seems to imply the country is worse off with them in power. I have yet to see an actual fact that backs that up. No Benghazi isn't a valid argument. Nor is the rise of Russia or Iran.

If there is some empirical evidence I welcome it.

However there is tonnes of evidence from Republican run states on why they shouldn't be in power anywhere.

March 4, 2016 @ 12:28 PM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

Initially it was the Tea Party that rallied the angry Republican constituents, while the establishment Republicans, the old stock as Harper would have called them, did nothing to combat this abomination for fear of losing their seats to the farther right zealots like Cruz and Palin. The Grand Old Party had 8 years to chose a suitable candidate, but were unable, in spite of themselves to change their ways and realize that what brought them success in the past was no longer viable with the Tea Baggers leading the parade. All Trump had to do was go one step further into the crazy than the Tea Party crowd and he was able to steal the angry white middle class voters that once flocked unchallenged to the likes of Ted Cruz. Nobody to blame but themselves really. It is entertaining to watch them self destruct. The more they pile-on Trump, the worse they look.
My advice to the old stock, admit that this chance at the White House is gone and remove yourself from this shitshow asap. No comments, no attacks, just let Trump and the Tea Party demolish themselves and use the next 5 years to reflect on how this all went so terribly, terribly wrong.

In the meantime, I'll get us some popcorn and Argie can bring the drinks. This is going to be the best reality show EVER!

March 4, 2016 @ 1:16 PM

Argie

@Nigel
Nice post except you're missing one key fact: Hilary, whose currently under investigation by the FBI is no slam dunk to defeat Trump - even if some of the GOPers pile on.

And yes, I'm happy to bring the drinks.

March 4, 2016 @ 1:31 PM

fourteen

As regards the HD cable box, what happens if you don't rent/ buy one and just plug the cable directly in to the TV?

March 4, 2016 @ 2:16 PM

Neil Clarke Warren

So turned on the Blue Jays game on TV this afternoon. Seventeen minutes in was the time of death.On went the mute button.Actually I was surprised I made it that long listening to Buck and his play-by play.
Never to hear "and the count is chew and chew with chew out " again this year.

March 4, 2016 @ 2:17 PM

markosaar

Just a friendly reminder that you can use any UHF antenna (i.e. not the old VHS rabbit-ears style) to pick up local HD OTA broadcasts. I bought a bigger one for a whopping $40 when I used to live in a high apartment facing south, and was able to even get Buffalo channels.

March 4, 2016 @ 2:23 PM

markosaar

I meant VHF, not videotapes!

March 4, 2016 @ 2:23 PM

@fourteen

Rogers does have a "free" adaptor, but it's not going to be HD. I have one of these in the bedroom because I only rent one HD adapter for the family room.

WIthout this free adaptor you get nada.

March 4, 2016 @ 2:24 PM

markosaar

And because I can't put all my thoughts into a single post, I should point out it usually looks better than cable even.

March 4, 2016 @ 2:24 PM

James Edgar

So I won a slot car set from Canadian tire at christmas. It's a bit of toy compared to what's out there now. they have digital tracks that you can race 6 cars at a time on with lane changes for passes etc. Of course those ones are $500 and up so cantire didn't give one of those.

My daughter and I have been having a blast though. not racing so much as making Slo mo iPhone movies of the cars crashing :0

Good times

March 4, 2016 @ 2:24 PM

@markosaar

I understand the HD would look better over the air because the receiver you use with Rogers et all compresses the signal.

Elvis does this and he's always smiling.

March 4, 2016 @ 2:25 PM

The Voice of Reason

@fourteen

Try Kodi. One time fee unlimited channels;

March 4, 2016 @ 2:56 PM

DUTCH

If your TV has a digital receiver built in you are good to go. You do need a digital antenna my daughter has one its stuck on the window about 10 bucks they get 7/8 channels stream everything else

March 4, 2016 @ 5:25 PM

DUTCH

I have KODI and XBMC before that, its good when you find a stream but that can be a tedious frustrating process loved the grey satellite market from a decade ago dishnet was awesome!

March 4, 2016 @ 5:30 PM

guy Smiley

I've seen Hilary's name mentioned a few times in this thread. Is she even going to make it to the big dance? Maybe America is ready to Feel The Bern...

March 4, 2016 @ 5:36 PM

Tom Turmeric

Trump has absolutely savaged Argie's hero George W. Bush for his immoral, illegal war in Iraq.

March 4, 2016 @ 6:04 PM

dale

Can you just imagine if Trump or Hillary are the next president?
Abe Lincoln is rolling in his grave.
Why wouldn't George W run again - even he would be better than these 2 imbeciles. Heaven help us all.

March 4, 2016 @ 6:18 PM

Blind Dave

It’s definitely the end of an era with Gord Martineau leaving the 6pm news. I watched the posted clip and then I watched the episode from December 31, 1982. It was fascinating to sit here and think that I may have very well watched that actual newscast in the house I grew up in all those years ago. I would like to think that Gord just didn’t want a sendoff, but it wouldn’t surprise me one little bit if the powers that be wouldn’t allow it. But why? Unless it is not Gord’s wish, what is the issue with not being able to say “thank you”?

As for all the dancing partners in Toronto radio, I honestly don’t recognize most of the current names anymore other than Erin Davis. I caught a few minutes of Erin & Mike via live stream before he signed off, just for sentimental reasons, and I download the occasional episode of Leafs Lunch for a treadmill listen, but that’s about it. I don’t even remember the last time I physically turned on an actual radio or stereo. It’s been years. I don’t live in Toronto anymore but it’s the same shit out here too. Thank our lucky stars for podcasts!

We are supposed to have 15C (above!) both Saturday & Sunday. In fact, we have only had two nasty cold spells all winter – one at Xmas and the other in mid- January. People who have been on the Prairies forever have rarely seen anything like it.

March 4, 2016 @ 9:28 PM

@Blind Dave

I listen to the previous night's World at Six on CBC Radio as a podcast every lunch hour. The other day they had a segment on the February you guys experienced. Apparently, it was the warmest February in 80 something years.

Nice!

March 4, 2016 @ 9:32 PM

Cheryl

My Nets and Suns both won. That's great. Too bad my Orioles lost, but that game doesn't count. As for Bell, apparently Bell has to install this big long cable to go into everyone's apartment. There is no choice. Bell has to come because some people wanted Fibe and they can't do it for some people. They have to hook up the cable in everyone's place. It's really weird. They should have had a vote on it or something and not allow this to happen unless everyone agrees with it, but they didn't. I just hope they don't take long and I hope they don't keep telling me to switch back to Bell.

March 5, 2016 @ 6:58 AM

Luigi

I've got a bit of background in US history and I'd like to think that Ms. Clinton's administration would be a lot like Jimmy Carter's...she comes across to others as acting like the smartest person the room and it's going to cause her downfall since she won't be able to work with people on either side of the aisle. I would think that Mr. Trump's administration would be similar to either John Tyler or Andrew Johnson-both of them lost the support of their own party during their times in office and ended up being completely unable to enact their agendas-Tyler got expelled from his party during his time in office and Johnson was impeached. I have a feeling that either of these candidates won't be able to get a second term in 2020. I feel bad for the US government-good thing the American people are stronger than whatever crap their leaders try to come up with!

March 5, 2016 @ 9:49 AM

Headsup

I feel that neither of those two candidates will make a strong president. That being said, if Trump wins, I'm booking my ticket on the next flight to Mars.

March 5, 2016 @ 10:01 AM

Blind Dave

@Torontomike

I've only been out here for eight years, and while the snow amounts vary, there has always been the perishing cold with the occasional warm spell. People who are older than me (I'm 52) who have lived here all their lives have rarely seen anything like this. The next seven days including today are supposed to be 15, 15, 9, 9, 10, 15, 14!

I don't have my shorts on yet but I sure as hell am tempted.

March 5, 2016 @ 10:18 AM

@Blind Dave

You don't even need the block heater this year!

March 5, 2016 @ 10:24 AM

anon

Trump vs Clinton, u think those GOP debates are nasty, these 2 going head-to-head would be worse & a gold mine for the American TV networks. This would guaranteed be the biggest presidential bonanza ratings for America, bigger than OJ.

Trump is a real NYer, Clinton an impostor.
Trump is the Real Deal. Once again, Clinton an impostor.

Should be fun to watch.

March 5, 2016 @ 1:57 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@ James Edgar, I loved slot car racing. My son (who is now 26 and I just found out is making me a Grandpa in October!) and I would play for hours with a figure 8 track when he was 7 or 8. He got it for Christmas that year and set it up on an a piece of plywood in the basement, so he and his friends could race. They even started a Nascar like series, each kid bought a slot car/controller and they were trying to mod the the brushes etc. to get an edge.
Would love the digital ones as it would have been neat to have all 5 or 6 kids cars on the track at the same time.
I always wonder why Canadian and US politics always brings out the unexplainable in quality of candidates. I suspect it is just reflecting the disappointment some feel past politicians having neglected the average voter and moved on with their own agenda. Candidates like Trump and Rob Ford speak simply, and give the voters the impression they are not part of the system and will work for the average joe , and not the Party "Old School" elites that we see coming out in the Republican Party.
Do we really believe Trudeau is setting the party agenda, when he has his "Old School" Liberals such as John Maccallum and Stefan Dion in his inner circle.

March 5, 2016 @ 4:17 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Congrats!

March 5, 2016 @ 4:21 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Thanks Mike, only in my mid 50's and being a grandpa is going to be cool! I sound like the Good Life commercial where the kids Grandpa races him to the park! I could bore you with the first set of Ultrasound pics but will save them for later.

March 5, 2016 @ 5:11 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Just checked your Twitter feed and saw you are going to have Darren B Lamb on your Podcast. My wife is a big fan of his, calling him sharp, witty and funny. She thinks he will be a good fit with Erin Davis, as being the 3rd man (as Rick Hodge was) with Roger and Marilyn can be a bit constraining.

March 5, 2016 @ 5:20 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

Yes, DBL is coming on... my mom dig him with Roger and Marilyn. I want to learn how he was poached.

March 5, 2016 @ 6:42 PM

this guest

@ Luigi.

Barring any reference to Seinfeld's 'Van Buren Boys' I suspect you've come up with the most arcane reference to U.S. presidential politics yet on Open Mike.

Tyler! When I was a kid I accidentally checked out a book from the library (thinking it was about something else) called 'Tippecanoe and Tyler Too.'

background:
"Tippecanoe and Tyler Too", originally published as "Tip and Ty", was a very popular and influential campaign song of the Whig Party's colorful Log Cabin Campaign in the 1840 United States presidential election. Its lyrics sang the praises of Whig candidates William Henry Harrison (the "hero of Tippecanoe") and John Tyler, while denigrating incumbent Democrat Martin Van Buren

March 5, 2016 @ 10:56 PM

Cheryl

Congrats on becoming a grandpa, Rick. My Habs lost again, yes again. Probably time to tank, but I don't want them to tank. My Coyotes won though which is great. Glad they got Alex Tanguay. That's awesome. Anyway, my Nets lost though unfortunately. Menard also lost which is no good. I need Menard to win because I need my money so I can win the Brier pool.

March 6, 2016 @ 6:40 AM

Luigi

@this guest

Thanks! It wasn't easy :). Have a great weekend!

March 6, 2016 @ 9:40 AM

Cheryl

My Suns won last night. This is great. My Orioles haven't won a spring training game yet, but my Diamondbacks are winning though. Anyway, Menard won last night finally, but they're not winning very much. I need them to step it up so I can win my money. I want my money. Tomorrow Bell comes to my place. Thing is they neeed to install a cable in the building so need to go into every apartment. It sucks. I hate Bell. They can't jjust come to people who want them. They have to come to every place.

March 7, 2016 @ 5:45 AM

Toneman The Leaf Fan

Can't wait for the Leaf game tonight. It's great to watch these young kids get a shot playing against real NHL'ers, even though a couple of them got sent down today. It seems there is, at last, real hope in Leafland.

What do you think, folks? I think the Leafs will win the cup again before the Habs do. The Canadiens' crash-and-burn performance this season reminds me of a few Leafs teams I've seen in the past, unfortunately. But, hey, Habs fans. We feel your pain. And there has been a huge upside for Leaf fans: Habs fans' usual in-your-face insults to Leaf fans have dropped off dramatically this season, no doubt a result of yet another year of flat, stale champagne. Like I said, we feel your pain.

Stick with the Shanaplan! Go Leafs Go!!!

March 7, 2016 @ 5:35 PM

fourteen

As reported in the newspapers, Dion Phaneuf received a warm welcome home at the ACC last Saturday night. What was not reported was the number of "boos" Dion received. Media conspiracy?

March 7, 2016 @ 10:37 PM

Cheryl

Well, my Coyotes lost last night. That was no good. Oh well, Menard lost last night as well. I won't win my money if they don't step it up. Come on Menard, what's wrong with you. Please win this thing. Anyway, so Bell hasn't been here yet. They really do have to come. I don't know why everyone has to get a hookup just because some people want it. I'm sticking with Primus though because Primus is great, reliable, great customer service. Bell hasn't won any awards, but Primus has.

March 8, 2016 @ 10:20 AM

Bill Ofgoods

Came across a great phrase today : The Church of Biological Mysticism. That's right up there with 'Mind the Gap' on the old subway doors. that little poster showing what seems to be a Beatnik sort of guy in a black turtleneck sweater. I guess those stickers are gone now.

March 8, 2016 @ 7:57 PM

Cheryl

How about those Habs. They won with a great comeback win. How about Alex Galchenyuk? Also how about Ben Scrivens. Awesome. My Nets lost again though which really sucks. Oh well. How about Menard as well. They beat Howard. Good. I really need Menard to keep winning. I need my money. Bell was here yesterday. They didn't stay long, but what they had to do didn't affect my Primus. They just installed something in case I want to get Bell fibe which I really don't. My trainer is getting his car towed to his uncle's today so his uncle can fix it and so he can get his car fixed so he doesn't have to learn how to drive a standard car yet. Eventually it will happen, he will have to learn how to drive a standard which is probably going to be tough for him as right now he can only drive an automatic.

March 9, 2016 @ 6:13 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Driving standard isn't that hard...

March 9, 2016 @ 8:29 AM

Anonymous

No shoutout for Reimer's shutout? :)

March 9, 2016 @ 11:03 AM

@Anonymous

Nope.

I was sleeping when that game ended, and it's what I expect from Optimus Reim.

March 9, 2016 @ 11:11 AM

Rogers Sportsnet let a bunch of people go today. Mostly behind the scene people, but also Hugh Burrill, James Cybulski and Jamie Thomas.

March 9, 2016 @ 4:49 PM

Yawnie

@ Toronto Mike...of course they gas many people because robbers just can't admit that they made a HUGE mistake with $$ for the hockey coverage.
Anyone else notice with all their layoffs not ONE of their hockey "insiders" has been axed..hummm.

March 9, 2016 @ 5:28 PM

Cheryl

My Coyotes and Suns both lost last night which really sucks. Anyway, Menard lost twice yesterday. This also sucks. I am not winning my money. This really sucks. Hopefully, Jason, the other Habs fan is right about standard, but my trainer says it will need practice and he will need lessons. Well, maybe his car will stay working long enough that he won't need to worry about standard yet, but then again, he probably should be prepared.

March 10, 2016 @ 6:49 AM