Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

GAry

Next year is the Leafs 100 year anniversary in the league and so far, the NHL has not given Toronto anything. No All-Star game, or draft and it looks like the Winter Classic will not come to Toronto either. How could a Centennial Anniversary of one of the original teams keep getting passed over??

Is this a deliberate snub?

February 12, 2016 @ 8:37 AM

Cheryl

I have a cold. I really hate being sick. Anyway, my trainer lost on Tuesday. It's a page playoff so this means that he still gets to play this Tuesday and maybe the next one if he wins this Tuesday. I'm telling you he will win on Tuesday so two more games. He'll win Major League. Last loss shouldn't have happened. Habs play Sabres tonight. Should be an easy win for my Habs. Ben Scrivens will be in goal again and he's getting to be really good. Sabres played last night so they'll be tired and my Habs will be rested. Coyotes will win tonight as well.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:04 AM

Rob J

@Gary
The league's just doing to the team what the team has been doing to its fans for all these decades...why in the world would Leaf fans want attention on their team anyways? There's a huge disconnect between the way Leaf fans view their team compared to how the rest of the hockey world does.
The fact that so many think it's a "snub" is telling...kind of like how I've been "snubbed" from playing in the MLB.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:09 AM

Al The Royal Pain

For the first time in a month I don't have a show to promote here. So I'll just say happy Valentine's Day! Gentlemen, make your dinner reservations today, if you haven't already!

I'll be taking the wife out to dinner and a movie, which is a big deal for us given 2 young kids and all my extra-curricular band-related activity. I'll also be enjoying as much of this NBA All-Start game as I can.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:17 AM

@GAry

It's a bit of a snub, yes, but look at the team we iced last night. That might be the worst lineup ever, and that's saying something.

If we were competitive, I'm sure they'd make more noise about our 100th year anniversary. But as it stands, early in the Shanaplan, the on-ice product is horrific. I believe the Marlies would beat this team.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:21 AM

GAry

@ Mike and Rob J

The on-ice product should have nothing to do with an original 6 team's 100th birthday. I would bet that in any other league, it would be recognized regardless of the team's record.

If the Rangers were this bad and it was their 100th anniversary; do you think the league would not do anything??

February 12, 2016 @ 9:29 AM

Aaron

The Fan 590 is shit now.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:37 AM

Wally

@Gary @Toronto Mike

I agree with both of you on this. It doesn't make sense to try and celebrate a franchise when it's (arguably) at its lowest point. The only time I've seen the NHL cater to bad teams is when they want to grow the sport in a non-hockey market (ex: Florida, Phoenix, Dallas, Nashville, etc).

I think a good example of this is the Raptors. I have no doubt in my mind that they wouldn't be awarded the All-Star game if it weren't for the success they've have in recent years.

Speaking of the NBA All-star, I am curious as to how much hype there is for it OUTSIDE of Toronto. There is certainly a lot of buzz for it in the city and it's certainly been the first All-star game I will watch in a number of years but is there even a fraction of interest from places like L.A? Miami? NYC? Vancouver? Montreal?

Regardless, it's always fun to see the spotlight on Toronto.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:42 AM

@Wally

When other markets talk about this all-star game, you know the lede will spin around the temperature. It'll hit -34°C tonight, so Americans will hear it's -30°F. This will reinforce the perception that Canada is a frozen tundra.

Too funny, especially after the mild winter we've enjoyed up to now.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:47 AM

Ryan G / hobogauntlet.blogspot.ca

In the work cafeteria yesterday I saw a guy I work with investigating the worthiness of the soup that was available. It's understandable. You open the big metallic lid and have a look, particularly because others often dredge out the choice bits leaving only a thin liquid.

But this dude went too far, and I told him so.

See, he not only poked around with the ladel, but scooped up some of the soup and proceeded to hunch down real close to it with his stupid face and his stupid nose so he could smell it. His nose got to be about an inch from the soup in the ladel and that's an inch too far. Whether or not he ended up using that bit of soup is irrelevant. This isn't your private fucking soup. As I walked by , I said exactly this: "why don't you just stick your whole head in there?" This startled him a bit and he made a nervous laugh and then said "ya i'll take a bath in it ha ha".

Jackass.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:47 AM

Lyle Lanley

Great job with James Duthie. Your podcast keeps getting better and better.

February 12, 2016 @ 9:54 AM

Al The Royal Pain

@Ryan G

You should have followed him around the cafeteria and every time he'd go for something else, grab it first, lick it and then put it back.

February 12, 2016 @ 10:00 AM

Wally

@Toronto Mike

Almost feels like karma.

They'll also conveniently forget about last years cold spell and snow storm that took place during the All-Star game in NYC.

February 12, 2016 @ 10:31 AM

Every Thursday night I skate with the two older kids at High Park. Last night, I saw the wind chill was -20 or something like that, and decided it would be cruel and inhumane to put them on an outdoor rink for an hour.

So we played euchre instead.

These cold spells suck because they force you inside. I'm still going to try a shorter ride at lunch, and I'm hopeful I keep my toes.

February 12, 2016 @ 10:34 AM

GAry

@ Aaron

I agree with you.

February 12, 2016 @ 11:16 AM

Rob J

@GAry
The snub factor is also lessened when you consider Bettman is super-tight with Shanahan after the latter schemed behind Bob Goodenow's back to end the 2004-2005 lockout. Interesting 'coincidence' that he and fellow saboteur Trevor Linden ended up running NHL teams.
The teams that get the 2017 All-star Game and outdoor game are also celebrating significant anniversaries next year, and Chicago has never hosted the draft. Toronto has had the draft and all-star game recently.
I'd think Leaf fans would be more upset about not hosting playoff games instead. Even now, losing on purpose on the off-chance of being better 5 years from now is universally accepted.

February 12, 2016 @ 11:34 AM

Argie

The NHL and Bettman don't deliberately "snub" Toronto or the Leafs. Its more the case of taking them and other Cdn clubs for granted. Bettman's main concern is the struggling markets in the US - and God knows there are many.

Toronto, Mtl and the others will always do well regardless as to on-ice performance or whether they get an all-star game or winter classic. The only thing that can or will hurt Cdn teams is our feeble dollar.

But let's be honest any way, why would anyone want the all star game coming to their city in the first place??? Winter classic, sure.

February 12, 2016 @ 11:57 AM

Tdotter

Drake's getting the key to the city. He really is a great ambassador for this city. Good for him.

February 12, 2016 @ 2:11 PM

Cool Nights

I love Toronto Mike'd and listen every week, but there might be a bit of a jinx going on. Looking at the list at http://www.torontomike.com/2014/11/cant_miss_toronto_miked_episodes.html here are guests who were subsequently fired:

Mark Hebscher
Mike Richards
Maddog
Greg Brady
Scot Turner
Dani Stover
Bingo Bob
Jeff Sammut
David Alter

I'm now worried for Duthie!

February 12, 2016 @ 2:35 PM

@Cool Nights

Great comment! Seriously, it has me smiling here.

With all the Rogers media people I've had over, one or two was bound to get caught up in this mass cut. Rogers Media is firing 200 people in total.

Mike Richards is still employed at TSN Radio, he's just not going to be doing mornings anymore.

Scot Turner is still employed by Corus, only his Spirit of Radio show was cancelled. He's still Brand Director for Corus Entertainment radio stations 91.5 The Beat & 107.5 Davefm in Kitchener Ontario.

Dani Stover actually quit her job in Peterborough so she could move to Toronto. She wasn't fired.

Bingo Bob also quit the job he had when he came on for a job at Virgin Radio. He was fired from that job, but quickly landed on his feet at Oshawa's The Rock.

David Alter quit the job he had when he was on my show for a gig at the National Post, then he was a victim of the Postmedia cuts.

So, the only guests who have lost their gigs after appearing on my show are Brady, Sammut, Hebsy and Maddog. Not a big number considering how many members of the media have dropped by and how that industry is shrinking.

I do love your comment, though...

February 12, 2016 @ 2:49 PM

GUNTer

until last night i did not know who 'zanta' was. i was driving along royal york (near sanremo bakery) - pitch black, and i almost ran over a guy in shorts, no shirt with a santa hat on - doing pushups - IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD.
after i got home i was telling a friend and she casually said "oh thats toronto zanta" - wtf? so i googled it and sure enough there he is.
apparently he lives in mimico.
go ahead and google it if you need to waste a minute.
bizarre.

February 12, 2016 @ 3:03 PM

@GUNTer

Here's something I wrote about Zanta a decade ago: http://www.torontomike.com/2006/03/zanta_a_toronto_institution.html

Then 5 years ago, I noticed he had vanished. I used to see him all over the city but suddenly he was gone. http://www.torontomike.com/2011/07/wheres_zanta.html

It's a sad story, really. Before I realized how sad it really is, I created this Valentine's Day card. This seems like the ideal weekend to share it again.

February 12, 2016 @ 3:07 PM

GUNTer

@torontomike
It is a very sad story.
This morning i was telling a guy at work and he said he used to ride the bus 10+ years ago and Zanta would do pull ups on the rails hanging from the ceiling of the bus - all the time yelling YESYESYES.
the brain - it is a strange muscle.

February 12, 2016 @ 3:16 PM

@GUNTer

He suffers from schizophrenia.

February 12, 2016 @ 3:20 PM

Nick

@ Toronto Mike

How come I haven't heard you on Humble and Fred lately? Seems like you used to be a semi-regular guest but I feel like it's been a long time. Podcast rivalry perhaps?

February 12, 2016 @ 5:53 PM

@Nick

Two days ago I repaired a crashed MySQL table on their web server. So no, there's no rivalry.

February 12, 2016 @ 6:38 PM

Anon&on

@Cool Nights @Toronto Mike
Although I call it the Pink Slip Chair, you could make the opposite list. Several guests who were without a gig when they went on Toronto Mike'd did land a job shortly afterwards, starting with original co-host Rosie. Torrens & Taggert not only launched a podcast that turned into a radio gig, they're out on tour and landed a book deal.
I noticed a new IllVibe record in the store today, didn't see the T.O. Mike'd theme on the track list.

February 12, 2016 @ 7:35 PM

@Anon&on

Great points... and Barb DiGiulio was between gigs when she came on, and then landed a spot on 1010.

I'm hoping the same happens with Kelly Cutrara and 640.... she's gunning for the Bill Carroll spot.

Amber Gero was out of the biz when she came on, now she's back in radio.

And Andrew Walker came on, and now he has his own show! :)

February 12, 2016 @ 7:53 PM

Rick C in Oakville

@mike, share did Amber land, always enjoyed her reports on Newstalk. She truly worked her backside off on the road for them.

February 12, 2016 @ 8:27 PM

@Rick C in Oakville

She's with Rosie in Markham.

February 12, 2016 @ 8:28 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Glad for Amber.
I know that one by election is not really a barometer of public opinion, but the Liberals full court press with political star power did not translate into a win.
Have noticed lately that the Toronto Star has been critical of Wynne and the Liberals. With the economy tanking, how much more debt are they going to keep piling on, considering they have been doing this since 2003.
My daughter after her recent economics courses hold me my generation has spent her future, and I have to agree.

February 12, 2016 @ 8:44 PM

Cheryl

Well, feeling better I think. I hate colds though. Anyway, so my Habs lost. Goalies weren't that great. both sides didn't have good goalies last night as it was a 6 to 4 loss, but come on, we lose to the Sabres. Ben Scrivens had to be pulled. Oh well, so he had a bad game. He won't have another bad one. My coyotes finally won a game. that's great. They won 4 to 1. Shane Doan was the hero. Anyway, so we get a city worker strike on Friday. Apparently there is a contingency plan in place and they'll make sure about road safety, but who knows how often the roads will be ploughed during this strike. I don't want a strike at any time. all a strike does is hurt the public. That's the truth, but at least if you have them in the summer, then there wouldn't be any snow to worry about. They should have been made an essential service though just like the TTC. Oh well, these strikes can last for months, remember what the last one lasted.

February 13, 2016 @ 6:12 AM

Toronto Mike'd weather report for Saturday, February 13: It's COLD!

February 13, 2016 @ 10:53 AM

Jason from Sudbury

-47 here with the windchill. Fml. Honestly I think this is the coldest I've seen it here.

February 13, 2016 @ 10:55 AM

I'm the jerk who enjoys biking along the lake on really cold days and then telling everyone "it's not so bad out there" or "you're overreacting". Heck, I did that yesterday.

But today.... today is cold. I spent 5 minutes in the backyard and reached two conclusions:

1. I'm not biking today.... no way
2. This is what Hoth must feel like

February 13, 2016 @ 10:59 AM

JJ

Ah Mike, don't let the weather people scare you from going outside, its cold but not that bad. Jason from Sudbury, now that's cold.

Are you afraid to mar your "pretty-boy" looks if you go for a bike ride?

February 13, 2016 @ 11:36 AM

@JJ

I'm afraid I'll mar my pretty boy looks and lose a toe or two.

February 13, 2016 @ 11:46 AM

Douglas

Today, the Toronto area is experiencing what the vast majority of Canada (geographically, not by population) calls a "sunny winter day". Some of you (eg. Blind Dave) will know what that means.

Reading the posts above about people in radio/media, I highly recommend you read this very good article from Stacey Thompson, currently of Boom, The Beat and DaveFM (and another one, I think). LinkedIn | Stacey Thompson | The Revolving Door of Media life...

Mike, I think Stacey Thompson would be a worthy podcast guest - if she can squeeze you in.

February 13, 2016 @ 1:12 PM

Dawn Keibals

The big oil company's must be racking their brain trying to figger out by lies,deception and pure bull-shit on how they can get by July the price of a liter of gas to $ 1.25

February 13, 2016 @ 6:13 PM

Cheryl

My coyotes lost. This sucks. Oh well, they lost. It was not a good game. Yes, it's cold out there. Maybe when the city workers go out on strike, they will be cold on the picket lines that they will smarten up and go back to work. Anyway, it is cold. Oh well. I like to go ice skating, but not when it's this cold.

February 14, 2016 @ 5:08 AM

Yawnie

anyway what a rotten day. The nets,suns,ravens,cardinals,coyotes and habs do not play.anyway can't bet on them all to looose which they always do always.Oh well anyways i like to goswimming but not when it is to hot anyways.

February 14, 2016 @ 5:18 AM

dale

Wish everyone a happy Family Day tomorrow.

Family be it yours or extended be thankful.

February 14, 2016 @ 4:37 PM

Cheryl

My Habs are at my Coyotes tonight so should be a good game. I hope it goes to overtime either way so each team at least gets a point. That would be great. Four more days until the city worker strike. You'll see, they'll go out. If it snows when they're out, and they don't plough the roads, my trainer is going to have a hell of a time getting around Toronto. He will make it here okay as the highways will be taken care of. Anyway, they're so greedy and they hurt the public because that's what strikes do.

February 15, 2016 @ 9:20 AM

Cheryl

Well, if it wasn't the Coyotes, I would say it was a bad game. My Habs lost. I wanted overtime though. Anyway, this stupid cold I had and then I thought was gone is back again. It sucks. I hate colds and I can't afford to be sick. I don't belong to a stupid union who gets everything. Anyway, my baseball subscription renewed. That's great. It only costs $25.00 to renew it and that's a hell of a lot cheaper than actually going to games and I have freedom so it is worth it. Hopefully my trainer will win tonight. He will and then one more game next week and he will win it all.

February 16, 2016 @ 6:22 AM

Cheryl

There was snow yesterday. My trainer made it, but it took him longer to get here. Now we have snow. Well, today and tomorrow to clear it and then the strike will hit. You know people who go on strike shouldn't get strike pay. Then if they don't get paid anything at all, they'll realize how stupid they really are. Anyway, bring on baseball. Orioles and Diamondbacks to the World Series.

February 17, 2016 @ 5:39 AM

Cheryl

My Habs lost. They were leading at one point, but lost the fricken game and it didn't go to overtime so they don't even get a point. That sucks. Hopefully my Coyotes will win tonight. Don't know if my trainer won or not. I'll find out today. Strike at midnight tonight. As I said, they should get nothing for being stupid and that's what they are. All strikes are stupid.

February 18, 2016 @ 7:14 AM

Yawnie

Anyway who cares about the city workers going on strike.Anyways they don't do a good job clearing the snow anyways,you never know if they will come to clean it or not,anyways it melts sooner or later anyways.The only thing that you can count on happening is the the habs loose all the time anyways bring on softball and flip-flops.

February 18, 2016 @ 7:18 AM

fourteen

Anyways I'm not Bob Seger so if my cold kills me I won't care anyways.

February 18, 2016 @ 9:48 AM

Yawnie

Not all strikes are stupid anyway.If in the Monday night mixed league there is 2 outs and 2 strikes and 2 balls on the batter and the picture throws strike 3 then anyways that is a good strike anyways but who cares

February 18, 2016 @ 10:32 AM