Changes at TSN Radio 1050

It's official. TSN 1050 Toronto has announced their new daily lineup and (gasp!) they gave a show to a woman!

Here's the new lineup of shows and hosts on TSN 1050 Toronto beginning Monday, February 22.

5:30 to 9am - Naylor & Landsberg in the Morning
Dave Naylor and Michael Landsberg will be joined by regular Insiders and experts including James Duthie, Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, and Pierre McGuire.

9am to Noon - Game Day with Matt Cauz
Matt Cauz will be joined by Gareth Wheeler

Noon to 1pm - Leafs Lunch
Andi Petrillo will host, and rumour has it she's a woman. Co-hosts will include Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger, Pierre LeBrun, Craig Button and Dave Poulin.

1 to 4pm - Richards 1-4
Mike Richards leaves the mornings for this, less desired, shift.

4 to 7pm - Overdrive with Hayes, Noodles & the O'Dog
Bryan Hayes, Jamie 'Noodles' McLennan, and Jeff 'The O’Dog' O’Neill will anchor the show that will go head-to-head against Bob McCown's Prime Time Sports. Good luck, guys.

Derrick

Really?! You're getting killed in the ratings and you're solution is to double (triple?) down on hockey coverage?

Okay...

February 18, 2016 @ 3:32 PM

Rob J

This is destined to fail. Toronto is not even close to a hockey city beyond their lame NHL team. The FAN offers far more sports diversity which will continue to appeal to the general and die-hard fan

February 18, 2016 @ 4:12 PM

Matt

Interesting, but I can honestly say I've never once tuned into 1050. Bobcat is king, cant see those guys giving him much competition. Tim and Sid are a bigger threat to Bob imo.

February 18, 2016 @ 4:16 PM

Matt A

Ever since Tim and Sid left the 1-4 slot I thought the TSN Leafs lunch crew were much more entertaining than Brady and Walker. I tried giving those guys a chance after Tim & Sid but they were boring and Brady's sarcasm just grated on me. I actually got back into the Rome Show on 550 out of Buffalo too which can be pretty good except for ridiculously long commercial breaks. I have no real allegiance to either 1050 or 590, I'll usually flip if I hit a commercial break. Both stations have their good and bad programming, you can't tell me Blundell has been that much better than Richards. I think Hayes & Crew are an exponentially bigger threat to Bob than Dave Naylor so it should be a good battle.

February 18, 2016 @ 8:27 PM

Blind Dave

I enjoy both Leafs Lunch and McCown, so it should be interesting to see what happens. In fact, my workout podcast is either of these two shows or a Toronto Mike'd episode. I also like Michael Landsberg so I hope he has a successful run in the early a.m.

February 18, 2016 @ 9:20 PM

Anonymous

They needed a shakeup.

February 19, 2016 @ 9:20 AM

GAry

I used to listen to the Fan quite a bit. Over the last couple of years, they made some strange decisions and now I hardly listen at all. In my opinion, when they let Landry and Stellick go....that was the beginning of a slow decline. I never really got into Brady and Walker. I found I couldn't listen for more than 10 minutes.

I always thought TSN needed to do something as The Fan was doing some weird shuffling and then Dean Blundell was brought in. The new lineup looks interesting on TSN. I may give it a try. I do wonder if Mike Richards will be there much longer.

February 19, 2016 @ 9:58 AM

Jeff

Interesting shifts, especially in the Morning drive slot. For some reason Blundell has never worked for me so Richards was a good alternative. Not sure what it will be like with Landsburg and Naylor though. Seems like it will be a bit dryer if you ask me and I need a jolt driving in.

As for the Drive home it will be tough to displace the Bobcat. The guy is an institution for better or worse. And throwing RIchards in the afternoon slot? Isn't that one step short of sending him back to Calgary?

February 19, 2016 @ 12:43 PM

Me

Bobcat used to be great to listen to but now he is more interested in talking about who he went to dinner with or who was at his house or his tv or his this or that. I love listening to the crew from Leaf Lunch. Cant wait as now I have something to listen to between 4-7. Naylor wasn't very good in that slot either

February 19, 2016 @ 1:55 PM

@WouldStaley93

Regarding the changes at TSN 1050. I like the revamped morning show with Michael Landsberg and David Naylor 530-9. Gives listeners a option between Dean Blundell & Co over on Sportsnet 590 The Fan.

I kinda would have liked Mike Richards to be paired with Matt Cauz 9-12. They were pretty funny together when they did mornings for a while in the earlier days of TSN 1050.

I would have done a 1-4 show with Mark Hebscher and Andi Petrillo.

I hope this makes a dent in the ratings so that Sportsnet 590 The Fan makes some well needed changes in the 9-12 slot and 1-4 slots. Jeff Blair and Andrew Walker are both horrible broadcasters. They are so arrogant and kiss up to the suits at Rogers every chance they got.

On a side note @torontomike looking forward to the upcoming episode with Ron MacLean who is very under used at Sportsnet.

February 19, 2016 @ 2:03 PM

I think Hebscher and Brady would make a good team. Both are unrestricted free agents (although I don't know the details of Brady's severance rules).

February 19, 2016 @ 2:05 PM

T

The O-Dog is a gem. The NHL stories they tell with Ferrarro & the crew are entertaining. Best Leafs pre-game is with Tatti & the O-Dog. At least TSN Hamilton gives us feeds from FOXSPORTS RADIO when the Leafs/Raptors not playing.

PS Cauz is nauseating, where is Steve Kouleas?

February 20, 2016 @ 11:42 AM

Jerry says - You're gonna want to hear this

I fully enjoy the rapport & insight that Hayes, O'Dog & Noodles have on Leafs Lunch. It's light but informative; lots of fun, lots of laughs. I'm a bit sad though as the new time slot doesn't work as well for me personally. Ferraro is one of my favourite analysts. McCowan is so dry & a bit too full of himself; not my cup of tea.

I haven't heard Brady recently but i remember really liking the Watters\Brady show way back when on AM640. Many a laugh at the tales & yarn on that show. Bill & Greg had great chemistry.

February 20, 2016 @ 12:46 PM

Steve

How does Wheeler survive all of this? He may be the worst radio presenter in all of Toronto. He needs to be put onto a pontoon boat and cast off into the Atlantic.

February 21, 2016 @ 9:42 AM

Mackie

Is this the begging of the end for Mike richards? They moved Brady and walker to that time slot at the fan and Brady got the axe. Walker will be out the door if his show tanks.....it will be interesting with overdrive going head to head with bobcat and Tim and sid......

February 22, 2016 @ 12:21 PM

Mike Wilson

I absolutely hate the new line-up. "Leafs Lunch" was a total gem. I loved listening in on a daily basis and laughing out loud. Now the show's at 4:00 (called "OverDrive") so I barely have time to listen and get this... the hockey experts are now going to talk about all sports when what worked best for them was to talk about hockey.

I like Andi Petrillo but the chemistry between Hayes, O'Neil and McLennan cannot be matched so the new Leafs Lunch is absolutely boring. If I want straight-up hockey analysis I'll listen to "Hockey Central at Noon" on the Fan.

Total bone-head decision by TSN management.

February 24, 2016 @ 8:47 PM

Brio

Overall the lineup changes seem positive -- however my only concern is the Naylor & Landsberg segment. First of all Mike Richard was great in that slot and worked/fit well with everyone.
I like Naylor's style for that time slot as well. Although I respect Landsberg skills, I think he does not fit well working along others. I like Landsberg in short dosages -- I think he is better suited to be a frequent "guest/commentator" on other shows and focus on one subject/story at a time. Giving too long a segment, I do not think is a good idea -- he seems to be very self promoting and likes to speak about his experiences and tries too hard to phrase or come up with questions that make your regular guests "freeze" -- your regular guests/experts should be your show, should be highlighted for the experts they are, not Mr Landsberg -- and questions should take advantage of their expertise and not try to get them "off balance".
With that said, Landsberg would be perfect to interact with irregular guests, meaning guests you are trying to get information from like Commissioners, GM's, Coaches, players, etc..... Do not want to sound critical of Landsberg, I feel he is more suited to what he did on OTR and speak to various guest(s) every show for short segments. Maybe he should do what Don Cherry does on radio? Short interviews with various guests and plug them in the other shows? He could be the Barbara Walters of Sports?

March 23, 2016 @ 8:31 AM

Jamie

Toronto does not have anyone decent from 5:30am until the Bobcat. Mike Richards had great chemistry with Dave Bastyl and they blow it up. I know ratings might have dropped but really Michael Lansberg is going to be better. At least Richards had decent interviews and skits. I can't stand Dean Blundell but I have to say that show is better. Don't even get me started on hour 9-12 because Matt Kozz needs to go and on the 590 it's a bitch fest about the Jays or Leafs. I am done whining, I'm done with Toronto radio I'm going Sirus.

March 24, 2016 @ 2:37 AM

George

The Bobcat has nothing to worry about. Has all the dough he needs and doesn't care about ratings for other shows anyway. However, Overdrive will blow a fastball by him!

May 12, 2016 @ 1:13 AM

Gord

Have to say I now listen to 1150 tsn every morning to hear Mike and Mike .... great NFL cover age and insightful interviews . They have great guests and the show is quite funny at times

August 29, 2016 @ 9:43 PM