Pan Am Games Torch Relay

I want to be snarky about the Pan Am Games Torch Relay I attended in Sam Smith Park this evening, but I'm going to have to leave my snark at the door. It was actually a lot of fun.

Pan Am Games Torch Relay

I got there early with my youngest and watched him run around the field, stare awkwardly at Pachi and dance to the band playing golden oldies. There was lots to do and see and Natalie Spooner ran in with the Pan Am Torch around 7pm. She lit the cauldron, we all sang O Canada and I completely forgot how little I care about the Pan Am Games. It was a party and I was more interested in joining in than standing on the sidelines pointing and laughing.

Pan Am Games Torch Relay

I still care very little about the athletics, but I am psyched about all the peripheral partying in my city. I'll be here all July, so if I can enjoy a torch relay and some free concerts, I'm down with it.

Pan Am Games Torch Relay

GUNTer

I have the exact same attitude as you Mike. Then today my good friend said she had a spare ticket to canoeing on Monday in St. Catherines. She was going on her own so I took the day off and am going to join her. She is a BIG Adam vanKoueverden fan. I'm actually looking forward to it.
Im usually at Sam Smith but today I had something else to do - glad I missed the relay.
Give me some Olympics any day.

July 6, 2015 @ 9:14 PM

Broni

A friend carried the torch down Browns Line for one segment (about 3 blocks) and it was really neat to see. Big convoy of PanAM vehicles and representatives pumping out music and cheering. and really well-organized.

Got to Sam Smith Park just in time to see Natalie Spooner take the torch the last few metres which was also very cool.

@ Mike: Adam van Koeverden could be a good podcast guest. I've seen him do public talks twice, and he is very good - funny, down to earth. I saw him speak at a PanAM event a few weeks ago, and he mentioned that he has been kayaking in the Humber River - so he's in the neighbourhood.

July 7, 2015 @ 10:24 AM

@Broni

This summer, one of my goals is to kayak the Humber. I'd love to talk to Adam van Koeverden about that.

July 7, 2015 @ 10:28 AM

Tron

A lot of the events are affordable. I am going to go to at least a few events. I just not sure if I should go to the sports I know I enjoy (soccer baseball etc) or some of the more fringe sports that I would probably never experience again.

July 7, 2015 @ 10:34 AM

Argie

If you want to go see women's water polo (I know, you really don't) but plenty of seats are still available - actually almost ALL seats available.

July 8, 2015 @ 11:32 AM

Tim

I was Downtown for U2. To say the city does not give a shit is an understatement. Info kiosks empty, bored security guards and lots of Pachi dolls for sale. All it means is lousy traffic, bigwigs getting perks and a colossal waste of money. The only positive is a quick bus ride up the hov lanes from Union to Newmarket but if i was driving I would be PISSED!!!!!!

July 8, 2015 @ 4:36 PM