Did That Really Happen? Canada's Crazy Gold in Men's Baseball

I watched every minute of last night's gold medal baseball game between Canada and the United States. No, it wasn't on television, but a live stream was readily available here. I Chromecast it to my television screen and settled in for a great night of ball.

With the game tied at 4, it went into extra innings. That's when things got a little weird. International baseball has this bizarre rule where you start extra innings with runners at first and second and lead off with any part of the lineup you desire. Crazy, eh? It reminds me of slo-pitch tournaments where we start extras with a runner on second base and one out, but that always made sense because another game was scheduled to use the same diamond right afterwards.

Once I wrapped my head around this little twist, I watched the United States score two runs in the top of the 10th and hoped for the best. That's when I witnessed my first ever walk-off failed pickoff play.

The camera angles for this game were less than ideal. On this final, exhilarating, gold medal clinching play, I didn't even know we were sending the winning run in from third. Suddenly, while I was still celebrating the tying run, there was a play at the plate. I've never seen anything like it.

Here's how it all went down. Crazy!

Lynne

@ Mike

As you already know, we watched the whole game too. That sure was one messed-up ending - I still can't get my head around it. It feels a bit shallow winning that way, but them's the rules and they were applied evenly.

A few US Team players must feel horrible for causing the game to end like that.

On the subject of camera angles, I agree. We really had to take the ump's word for it when it came to balls and strikes. Makes you really appreciate camera coverage at pro games.

July 20, 2015 @ 10:23 AM

Argie

Sorry Toronto people - the rest of the world couldn't give two craps about your little B level play day games.

The freaking British Open's 4th round is being played as I type this (I'm stuck at work unfortunately). Spieth is going for his 3 straight major in 2015 and you have a bunch of amateurs who made the cut and contended - along with some big names.

July 20, 2015 @ 11:40 AM

@Argie

Just like I didn't care about the Pan Am games four years ago. If these games weren't in my backyard, I doubt I'd be tuning in at all. I'm not sure that matters.

It's like the World Juniors... no country cares as much as Canada, but that doesn't stop us from treating it like a very big deal. It's still great fun.

July 20, 2015 @ 11:42 AM

McNulty

Way to be positive, Argie. If you don't like it then don't like it. But there's no need to crap on it because you want to put people in their place.

That's like driving by someone playing music and stopping to tell them their music sucks. What's the point?

July 20, 2015 @ 5:15 PM

fourteen

While most posters express their own opinions, Argie thoughtfully speaks for all others. And on occasion he also speaks for "the rest of the world". Very aspirational.

July 20, 2015 @ 9:50 PM

elvis

If it was a big deal it wouldn't have been in Ajax and it would have been on TV.

July 21, 2015 @ 10:33 AM

It's no skin off my back if people want to ignore the Pan Am Games and/or laugh at them because they're in Ajax and available via streaming only (which is awesome, btw).

Hell, I just completely ignored the British Open and feel no worse for wear.

Last night, we Chromecast the Canada vs. USA gold medal women's basketball match and loved it. Kia Nurse was amazing.

July 21, 2015 @ 10:39 AM

elvis

Who? What?

July 21, 2015 @ 10:48 AM

@elvis

We get it. You're not following the Pan Am Games. Good for you.

July 21, 2015 @ 10:56 AM

Argie

@McNulty
"That's like driving by someone playing music and stopping to tell them their music sucks."

Have you been following me around town?

July 21, 2015 @ 11:31 AM

McNulty

Glad you're proud of yourself, Argie. I'm pretty sure somewhere in Leviticus or maybe Paul wrote, "Dump on the joys of others and ensure that everyone is as miserable as you."

July 21, 2015 @ 1:59 PM

Argie

@McNulty
Oh man, you take life and this blog a little too seriously. I have nothing against people liking a sport or an activity I don't care about. I can't stand to watch curling, or horse jumping but I don't trash those who do.

My only beef with the P/A games is the cost. $2.5 billion is a little excessive no? But go ahead and ramp up this debate or argument - its what you like to do sometimes.

July 21, 2015 @ 2:17 PM

@elvis

Mission accomplished.

Now that would be a party.

July 22, 2015 @ 8:19 PM

Andre De Grasse just won the 100m. Gotta love this kid.

July 22, 2015 @ 8:57 PM