Andre De Grasse

It seems like Andre De Grasse has come out of nowhere. The 20-year old Canadian only started sprinting in 2012, and a mere 3-years later he's a bonafide threat to Usain Bolt and Justin Gatlin in the 100m.

Last night, we saw him win gold in the Pan Am Games with a time of 10.05 seconds. He recently ran a wind-aided 9.75 to win the NCAA championship and is the first Canadian to legally break the 10-second barrier in 15 years. And remember, he's just twenty and three years into this sport.

Next month he'll be at the world championships in Beijing to take on the elites, Justin Gatlin and Usain Bolt. He's not there yet, but he's rapidly improving and if he ever gets that start right, he'll consistently run under 10-seconds. He's also pretty awesome in the 200m.

Canada hasn't had a world-class sprinter since Donovan Bailey and Bruny Surin. This is exciting.

Andre

Lance Armstrong

- "only started sprinting in 2012, and a mere 3-years later" . . .

- "he is the first Canadian to legally break the 10-second barrier in 15 years" . . .

- "he's just twenty and three years into this sport" . . .

- "He's not there yet, but he's rapidly improving" . . .

- "Canada hasn't had a world-class sprinter since Donovan Bailey and Bruny Surin" . . .

and Ben Johnson

July 23, 2015 @ 9:33 AM

@Lance Armstrong

Even if you qualify Ben Johnson as an elite sprinter he was well before Bailey and Surin.

Bailey and Surin peaked in '96.

July 23, 2015 @ 9:37 AM

Cambo

And come July 28, no one will know who he is.

July 23, 2015 @ 9:57 AM

@Cambo

That's ignorant. He'll be a household name if he can make the finals in Rio.

And in 2020 he could very well win gold.

July 23, 2015 @ 9:58 AM

McNulty

Sigh. He won gold. Congratulate him or say nothing.

Why bother being negative? There are too many things in this world to be negative about. This is something to celebrate.

July 23, 2015 @ 10:45 AM

Cambo

I was more or less kidding, folks. Ease up.

July 23, 2015 @ 11:40 AM

@Cambo

You must understand, those of us who dared to actually enjoy this party are under constant attack. Hence the reaction!

July 23, 2015 @ 11:42 AM

McNulty

Double sigh.

I am going to purposely say something contrary to elicit a reaction.
Then when I get the reaction I aimed to get I will tell those people to relax and calm down, I was just kidding and make them feel like the asshole.

Wonderful. Reason #45 why I hate the internet.

July 23, 2015 @ 12:40 PM

Cambo

I wouldn't take what I said as a negative. More, a reflection on the marketing failure these games have been. When the Olympics roll around to whichever city in the world, the Canadian media jump on board and showcase our top talents. You KNEW who they were, and anticipated their events. They created stories and emotion around them. I'd hazard a guess that most didn't know the PanAm Games even existed. The passion for this event is just not there- at least to the same degree of the Olympics.

July 23, 2015 @ 1:20 PM

@Cambo

Out of curiosity, do you live and work in the 416 or are you outside the city?

July 23, 2015 @ 1:23 PM

Cambo

Whitby. In between the baseball in Ajax, and the GM Center in Oshawa and it's various events. Most I've talked to in the area have no intentions to seeing any events.

July 23, 2015 @ 1:31 PM

I'm in the Southwest of the city, but I often bike into the core or to meet my wife at Sugar Beach. I was inundated with Pan Am marketing daily. Not to mention all the television ads... So many people I know have bought tickets and raved about seeing the events live. My kid, included.

But I'll admit, I was completely underwhelmed until I attended a torch relay. Then, after enjoying the opening ceremony and a family trip to Pan Am Park, I was hooked.

Now I'm all in, streaming a whole bunch of stuff. When all is said and done, I'll have more to say on this topic. Stay tuned!

July 23, 2015 @ 1:38 PM

Argie

I still think these games are a huge waste of taxpayers money but you have to be impressed by this dude. Under all of this pressure and he comes through with the gold.

Huge props to him.

July 23, 2015 @ 8:14 PM

J9

Congrats to De Grasse! Love watching the Athletic events. And what about Damian Warner, winning the decathlon and breaking the Pan Am record? Canadian athletes are doing very well in these games…wish I could go to more events, but happy to watch them on tv.

Happy Friday y'all!

July 24, 2015 @ 6:57 AM

dale

This Kid (20 yrs old) is amazing. 100M & 200M gold medals & another on the way tonight with 4x100M relay.

July 24, 2015 @ 6:47 PM