Open Mike

Welcome to this week's Open Mike. I'm Mike and I'll be your master of ceremonies for the day.

Open Mike on Toronto Mike

Christos

Driving home from the ole job yesterday and listened to 102.1, Wade McNeil of Alexisonfire covering for Josie Dye.

Wade basically started moaning about a "hater" who called him out for having a teardrop tattoo and maybe indulging a bit too much in the pasta.

You could tell he was really irked by it. Started calling the "hater" an old, immature punk whi didnt care about whose feelings ge hurt.

Brought back memories of the Fearless Fred-Toronto Mike "feud" where FF basically went overboard because someone said they didn't like his style.

What happened to the days of constructive criticism? Having an opinion and not worrying about people overreacting like ninnies? I think there is an overly PC movement these days, where anything even remotely biased towards Criticism is classified as "hating".

Soon, the teachers who give my children B's instead of A's will surely be haters. How dare they not appreciate the uniqueness of my offspring!

May 15, 2015 @ 7:25 AM

Rick C in Oakville

This week's public shaming and firing of the 2 luddites who FTP bombed on the City TV live feed at the Toronto FC game, show how low the bar has been set for public behavior and just all around respect/decency to other people.
I hope his mother wouldn't laugh her ass off at this prank, as it may show the type of values she instilled in him. Trust me, if my 25 year old son did this, Bell would need to replace the phone lines between our homes from the verbal fireball that would go down.
Lesson to be learned, your public actions are most likely to be recorded, and chances are you will be Id'd.
Have a nice long weekend everyone.

May 15, 2015 @ 7:51 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I don't condone what those guys did by all means but for the 1 guy to lose his job over it is bullshit.

May 15, 2015 @ 8:37 AM

Aaron

I thought Fearless Fred was upset at comments left on this site. As I recall, what Mike wrote about him was pretty tame.

As for FHRITP, the PR damage wasn't worth it for Hydro1. They had to can the poor bastard.

May 15, 2015 @ 8:47 AM

Lyle Lanley

I want to talk about this Tweet:

@tbettz Maybe I'm still living off the fumes of the back-2-back World Series, but I feel we're still better than Cleveland and Buffalo

— Toronto Mike (@torontomike) May 15, 2015

I believe you (TM) said you were rooting for the Cavs. The question is whether a Cavs title makes Toronto the worst sports city. You said Buffalo was worse.

Buffalo at least got to 4 Super Bowls and a Stanley Cup final.

May 15, 2015 @ 8:57 AM

Dawn Keibals

@ Jason..I personally know far to many good people in their late 40's-early 50's whom have lost their jobs simply because they worked at the same company for many years and made too much money and had great benefits.

This Hydro1 ex -employee is an immature ass-whole who got what he deserved.
Love to be a fly on the wall when 5 minutes after his next job interview and the HR person googles his name. Hahah

Maybe he can sell hot dogs at TFC games.
Oh I forgot he is barred.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:02 AM

Re: Fearless Fred

He was unclear, but I believe he was upset with me because of comments left on this site. He says something about going after his wife, which is something I'd never do.

Re: Toronto being the worst sports city

I am rooting for the Cavs. I like LeBron, and would like to see him lead that team to a title. That would make Toronto the 2nd worst sports city on the continent, after Buffalo. There's only one champion in sports, everyone else is a loser. It doesn't matter to me how many Super Bowls the Bills got to, they failed to win one. The Jays, however, did win two titles when I was a teenager, and that puts us ahead.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:04 AM

4x4 Time

I am with Jason. No question these village idiots should get a fast track pass to the Douche Bag Hall of Fame, but to lose a job over this is not right on several fronts. I mean if everyone who clearly had been drinking and said stupid things that they thought were cool, well, we would not have much of a work force left.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:05 AM

Handsome Rob

I agree Jason. While I think the guy was a tool, getting fired over it seems a bit much.

When are we "off the clock"? Perhaps this is the new normal? With social media, most people having an HD video camera with then at all times, you have to be on your best behaviour 24/7 for fear of loosing your job.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:07 AM

@Handsome Rob

There's "off the clock" and then there's "in front of a City camera and microphone".

When speaking in front of a camera / microphone, or tweeting, or blogging, just assume your boss (and future boss) is watching / listening / reading.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:09 AM

Frederic 'Chip' LaCroix

Weird that mr. twit works for Hydro One during the controversy of Wynne selling off this most-profitable public asset at fire-sale prices.
Wouldn't it be weird (and bear with me this is right out of LaLa land) if mr. twit wasn't an engineer
pulling down six figures at all but rather an actor in some weird public-perception type of plot.
How or why? No clue. Just a thought.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:20 AM

sctt

On the topic of Fearless Fred, I have to say that I get very disappointed every time I listen to his show in the mornings. The reason for this being that half of the "bits" that they do on the show seem to be an advertisement for something. This morning there was a perfect example of this when they started talking about Harry Shearer leaving The Simpsons and it turned into them promoting a Simpsons musical that's coming to Toronto.

Its like they're not allowed to just talk about the things they want to but instead have topics that they have to promote throughout the show.

I used to enjoy listening to Fred when I caught his show during the afternoons, but I can't say that's true these days.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:24 AM

Argie

I'm very pro-free speech and I always hate to see someone lose their job because of something they said BUT this incident showed that this clown was not only a rude a-hole but also a stupid one.

The reporter has a mic in front of him along with a camera. Did he not think that this was going to air? Also, did you guys notice the useless "security" guard standing there sheepishly while one of the turds was spouting their crap?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure O.H. gave him a nice package to get the hell out of their offices.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:27 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

A cautionary tale to be sure.
I can sympathize with the stupid, but not with those who wear their stupidity like a badge of honour.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:38 AM

4x4 Time

I realize this may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but for the Jazz fans out there…I bought the Louis Armstrong Complete Newport 1956 & 1958 re-mastered vinyl 4 LP set. The from Mosiac (label) and pressed at Quality Record Pressings and both have excellent reputations for vinyl quality…..WOW…Listened to two albums last night…Very cool recordings!...Not cheap at $150 but highly recommended for any early Jazz fans…
Cannot wait to kickback with a Martini and cigar this evening and finish listening to this set.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:52 AM

@TorontoMike

Fearless Fred was likely pissed off at you because you made sweeping generalizations about him BEFORE he got here. Further you'd never listened to him. You basically implied he wasn't "high brow" enough to work at 102.1. You never once gave thought that maybe it was part of the "theatre of the mind" that is radio. He worked at an Active Rock station that plays Whiplash from Metallica. It's in a city dominated by the blue collar side of the oil industry. He was doing his job.

Sorry to profile you Mike, but did you ever give though to the fact that it's you that has a hard time taking criticism? Vaccinations, Religion, modern medicine, etc, you cannot accept different points of view. It is your way or the highway as it was with FF & with Bev on your Twitter last night.

Further, after maintaining the war for a couple years you finally decided he, it's all good and ask Fearless to come on your podcast. He didn't dwell on it, YOU did. And you wonder why he declined.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:07 AM

@Irv

That's not at all what he said.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:11 AM

Lynne

Oh the irony...

U2's The Edge fell (or, rather ,walked) off "the edge" of the stage at the Rogers Centre in Vancouver last night while playing, "I still haven't found what I'm looking for". He suffered bruises. Tonight's show will go ahead as planned.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:24 AM

irv

I wasn't referring to what he said.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:27 AM

@irv

I'm sure a professional broadcaster can handle me goofing on his frat boy schtick.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:34 AM

@Lynne

I'm sure The Edge will report on The Edge missing the edge.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:36 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Since when is it an employers business what someone does on their own time?? You can't fire someone for their beliefs, gender, skin colour, etc, but they should be allowed to be fired because of their opinion of a YouTube trend? Why is it the company's business to tell them what they can or cannot think or say in the public when they are in no way representing the company?

May 15, 2015 @ 10:45 AM

Lynne

@ Mike

I wonder if he found what he was looking for.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:46 AM

Nigel Trousershrapnel

@Jason from Sudbury,
When said behaviour might have implications for the company. Often in the form of a morals clause. or a code of conduct prescribed in the employment agreement. It prohibits certain behavior in a person's private life. This is nothing new.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:55 AM

Sam in Pickering

The Joshua Tree was a great album.

May 15, 2015 @ 10:58 AM

Anonymous

Bono is a Monsanto shill. U2 is over. Somebody turned spring water into kool aid.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:01 AM

Argie

Achtung Baby was their last good CD. Since then all they've been doing is just cashing in - big time. At least they're not as pathetic as the Stones.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:14 AM

@Argie

The last U2 album I truly enjoyed was Rattle and Hum. I loved that album, and wasn't a big fan of Achtung Baby, although it did give us One, a fine single.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:19 AM

Cheryl

Well, very light baseball night in my pool. No Orioles or Diamondbacks last night. I got wins from the royals and Cardinals. They're both winning their divisions. Nationals lost. They go and beat my Diamondbacks, but then lose to the Padres. Anyway, looking forward to some baseball tonight. Angels are at my Orioles. Both teams are in my pool, but I want my Orioles to win. Also my Diamondbacks are at the Phillies. No more Habs. That's not good, but next year they will be in the finals with my Coyotes.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:31 AM

Frederic 'Chip' LaCroix

FHRITP is something a very brave 12 year old (or emotionallyk a 12 year old) might yell in public. Such bravado. One step further past that thin veneer of equality and respectability and you've got rapes in in a public square.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:32 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Was never a big fan of U2, there are a few songs I don't mind though.
I Will Follow, Bullet In The Blue Sky, Desire, One, Numb and that one song from Batman and Robin I cant think of the name now.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:36 AM

Mrmojorisinca

I've been listening to alot of U2 in recent weeks..and Achtung Baby does not have one bad tune on it...and I'd agree the last great album from them..

May 15, 2015 @ 11:36 AM

Douglas

After all these years, my favourite U2 album is "Boy". That statement can be reinterpreted as U2 has only gone downhill since their first album. "Achtung Baby" was the last one that I bought and liked. I did buy "No Line On the Horizon" at the request of my then-13 year old son. It sits in my "don't really listen, maybe I should sell/trade it" pile.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:37 AM

I think my ears were in love with grunge when Achtung Baby was released, so I didn't give it enough credit. Lots of radio hits.. and a solid album, I just didn't love it the way I loved previous U2 albums.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:40 AM

Radiogirl

Jason - you can be condemned for your opinion of a Youtube trend when said trend is offensive, misogynistic and blatantly offensive to a group - in this case, women. To yell FHRITP or to support it, especially on camera is victimizing, humiliating and marginalizing to the woman, whether or not it was to her directly. I don't blame Hydro One for letting him go. If he came to do a service call at my house and I recognized him, I wouldn't let him in my home. If he is one of the faces of Hydro One. why would they want him to represent them?

May 15, 2015 @ 11:41 AM

Mrmojorisinca

@ Jason...Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me..

great track :)

Do people still buy CD/DVD?

May 15, 2015 @ 11:41 AM

Argie

One of things that keeps this band relevant is their live shows. They're a better live than recorded band - much like a Pearl Jam.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:47 AM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mrmojorisinca: Thanks. That's it.

May 15, 2015 @ 11:52 AM

Jason from Sudbury

Re: FHRITP:
So, one of my friends on Facebook was pissed off cause those guys won't be charged. According to him what they did was illegal.
Have people lost their damn mind or am I missing something?

May 15, 2015 @ 11:58 AM

Mrmojorisinca

U2 live is good, but its been a spectacle with their stag setups the last few tours.
But I love seeing them..hope to find tickets for this summer tour :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdDBV6VX3fc

May 15, 2015 @ 1:19 PM

Mrmojorisinca

anyone going to any shows this summer? concerts that is..

May 15, 2015 @ 1:20 PM

Re: FHRITP

@Jason: A guy in Calgary was just charged $404.00 for stunting. Police could have also laid mischief charges. Therefore I'd call it illegal.

My own thought is this: It is all about intent. These individuals admitted to waiting there to do just what they did. It was not an accident. It was not an oversight in a moment of stupidity fueled by alcoholism.

Further, the guy is a professional in a profession which I have some knowledge of. He is a network management engineer. This is a job where you're likely in a decision making position & you may mentor junior staff. One is "expected" to carry themselves in a professional manner (read integrity). That makes all the difference. If the guy was tradesman, etc, the outcome might have been different.

The disturbing part is that you need to use such extreme measures to get people to carry themselves with some respect in public. It's one thing to go head to head on some Internet forum or talk trash while you're pouring back a few at a strip club. It's another to purposely walk up & harass someone doing their job. This guy wasn't fired because he had a coke fueled orgy with 3 street walkers in his condo. He was a douchebag, in public, with the goal of interrupting a news segment.

May 15, 2015 @ 1:31 PM

The sane voice

I think this "joke" is pretty immature but hardly think it is sexual harassment or a hate crime as some has said. This guy was not even the one you said the phrase. The reporter turned on these guys and if anything she verbally assaulted them and it was her that instigated the confrontation with these people. She asked their opinion and they gave it. She was even filming them without their permission.
I had not heard about this before but it looks like it is a new stupid prank. The guy even said that this was not about the reporter, it had nothing to do with the reporter and made no difference that it was a woman reporter. This has been said by men and women in front of men and woman reporters. It is about uttering something offensive on TV and people finding that funny. Reminds me of years ago working in a manufacturing environment there would be this one guy that whenever a tour walked by would turn to the person next to them and say something like, "no I told you, you need to put the sheep's back legs into your rubber boots first" just to get a reaction from the tour and embarrass more the person beside him then the tour. At least he would come up with some original things, rather then these idiots just uttering some meaningless offensive phrase.

May 15, 2015 @ 1:45 PM

4x4 Time

@Irv...What about people like Mike Duffy, Rob Ford, Susan Fennel, Alison Redford, Kathleen Wynne etc...Should they not be "expected" to carry themselves in a professional manner (read integrity). And if not, fired right away?....Grant you, it is a different animal, being elected officials, which protects them until the next polls so I guess, we just have to suck up their mistakes. Seems to me, should be more of an issue than some demented dude working at Hydro One

May 15, 2015 @ 1:53 PM

The sane voice

@ 4x4

I'm not sure if any punishment is needed.

This guy is such an obnoxious dork that his everyday life must be punishment enough.

Vertically challenged, intellectually deficient, a ringer for that goofy kid in school that nobody liked, a guy who either hates his mom or whose mom now hates him and finally, a loser who is now doomed to never get another date in his life (if he's ever had one before this incident) as his misogynist sneering mug is now seared into the memory banks of every Canadian woman ever harassed by a drunken lout.

He's pretty much done already, with or without being fired.

May 15, 2015 @ 2:01 PM

The sane voice

@ 4x4

No I was not referring to Irv.

May 15, 2015 @ 2:02 PM

@Sane Voice

- Taking photos & filming in public is perfectly legal. You don't need anyone's permission. If you see a TV camera and you're not interested in being on TV, get out of the way.

- It has everything to do with her being female. The vast majority of these FHRITP type situations are on females.

The whole "poor him" mentality is complete bullshit anyway. He wanted to play douche bag & it got turned around on him. Now he's all boo hoo. Whatever.

Further, only a lame ass motherfucker thinks he's a tough guy to pick on women, children or pets. If the dude wants to prove he's a tough guy tell him to stop by the clubhouse of some Outlaw Motorcycle Club & kick over their Hogs..or something similar. Picking on a female is just plain weak dude. Sorry.

May 15, 2015 @ 2:17 PM

4x4 Time

@ Sane Voice - Agree....
Oh, and I know you were not referring to Irv, dude is nowhere near this class of lowlife goofballs...

May 15, 2015 @ 2:17 PM

Mel Preston

Full disclosure - I am a big U2 fan. They are the last of their kind I think - a single, solitary act that can sell out 80,000 stadiums all over the world.

They keep evolving and so are losing fans and gaining fans in the process. But at least they try and change it up. Achtung Baby, Pop and Zooropa were really daring when they could have just kept putting out more Joshua Trees and Rattle and Hums.

I managed to get tickets to both the Toronto shows. Taking my kids for the first time. General Admission seats ( right by the stage) were just $50 I think. That's great value.

For this tour they have rehearsed over 60 songs. The shows will have a consistent first half - then the second half is supposed to be different each show. They'll play stuff from Boy ( played Out of Control and I Will Follow last night ) this tour too.

I'm stoked!! Stage is very simple and they enter with a single light bulb. Can't wait :)

May 15, 2015 @ 2:24 PM

4x4:

I think you need to re-read some of my posts. I'm the guy "living in a bunker armed with 20 semi-auto rifles waiting for the revolution against politicians". If I ran this world the prison system would be stacked with politicians (I'd free up space and release those nailed for pot possession)

AND it's worse for politicians or for people like police, military, etc. You signed up. You agreed to the terms. You signed ON THE DOTTED line to carry yourself with integrity. You're supposed to set GOOD examples.

Look at Alison Redford. No charges were pressed. Now we all know if Alison had of been a black guy living in Jane & Finch, she'd be in prison for the next 11 years. Instead she's an insider & very likely the PC party saved her because they needed to save their own ass. Investigations into things bring out skeletons in closets.

May 15, 2015 @ 2:29 PM

Irv

Mel. U2 were busking in Vancouver a couple of days ago. They were also hosting a show on Rock 101 (Corus Classic Rocker). Links are likely still in the Vancouver Sun.

May 15, 2015 @ 2:30 PM

4x4 Time

@ Mel...Good on you, if you like the band have fun and hope your kids dig the show!..I am Looking forward to seeing Boz Scaggs in Niagara.

May 15, 2015 @ 2:31 PM

The sane voice

@ Irv

"There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary." Brendan Behan

Mr. Simoes' case is pure gold on numerous counts. Lawyers will be lining up to assist him.

May 15, 2015 @ 2:37 PM

Mrmojorisinca

@ Mel

I agree with Pop..and ZOo..but everything after that was pretty stale..but I'm ok with that. they have a very very respectable catalog..I look forward to taking my daughter to her first show one day..she still only 5 month..they might be on there 5 finale tour by then :)

May 15, 2015 @ 2:47 PM

Christos

@ The sane voice,

I'm having difficulty understanding how people can minimize this TFC-reporter issue. It's unacceptable behavior, plain and simple. To earn the salary he was getting and still behave that way simply do not compute. You earn that salary, you'd better not act like a tool bag in front of a television camera.

The CBC had a lawyer in the other day to discuss this and he said basically Hydro1 has Evert justification for canning him.

Also, gender harassment is a real thing and this is a perfect example. By the way, it's also important to discuss how many great dads lose out on custody of their kids because the courts assume that "children should be with their mother". Gender harassment or inequality affects both men and women.

However, there can be no doubt about the abuse (verbal and physical), underpayment and general 2nd class citizen status women have been subject to and are in many cases still subject to.

There can be no excusing this behavior.

May 15, 2015 @ 3:21 PM

The sane voice

@ Christos

As I mentioned in previous posts, I have no sympathy for this guy and couldn't care less if he gets his job back or not. But I do believe that firing him was a bit much. The employer could have applied other disciplinary measures (suspension, apologies, etc.). And for those who say that they would not work with him, may I respectfully suggest that a day may come when you will seriously screw up and will probably need others to forgive you too. If we, as a society, can give second chances to certain categories of prisoners (through parole) surely we can give a second chance to this guy. Mind you, I say this without knowing what type of employee he is or whether he behaved liked this before. I believe in second chances but certainly not third and fourth chances when it comes to this type of behavior.

May 15, 2015 @ 3:28 PM

Christos

@ Irv, I don't have the opportunity today, but I'm curious about your comments on Toronto Mike's views on modern medicine, vaccination and religion.

I can see by the tweets TM has a bit of the ole arrogance associated with atheism, but I haven't seen any of the remarks about vaccinations and modern medicine.

May 15, 2015 @ 3:34 PM

GUNTer

@ Toronto Mike
My friend and i were looking for some info on Consumers Distributing and so off to Google - and your site came up!

May 15, 2015 @ 3:54 PM

elvis

I drove home from the airport this morning and tried to listen to 590. Expecting sports talk from sports radio, what I got instead was approx. 7 minutes with Elliotte Friedman and the rest was bits about how no one on the show can spell and their "What's Wrong With You" segment. Puzzling to say the least.

This afternoon I caught Brady and Walker and heard some great debate about the Jays bullpen from two guys who didn't need a guest to talk sports.

May 15, 2015 @ 5:01 PM

legal dept.

Just to clarify: The twerp on TV we have come to know and love didn't actually say FHITP or whatever it is. He made light of others saying it and (foolishly) added some possible embellishments ('the vibrator like in England'). Digging himself a very deep hole with his employer and I'll bet his mother is none to pleased.

May 15, 2015 @ 5:29 PM

The sane voice

@ legal

It’s a sad sad situation. While the guy made some rude and obscene comments, the punishment far exceeds the “crime”. What has the employer lost? What is the harm to the employer exactly? Can you quantify it? Are people going to stop paying their hydro bills? Are other hydro companies going to stop doing business with the company? Even if he was guilty in a court of law of mischief or whatever, he would probably get a 50 dollar fine and will be on his way, if that even makes it to court on a first offence. There are many cases where assault with bodily harm doesn’t make it to court because police are supposedly busy with “serious” crime. But to get fired from your job and all that entails from the distinct possibility that he will never work again, the severe consequences to his family and especially kids if he had any, to the far reaching consequences of depression and suicide, this gives the term draconian a whole new meaning. I mean you have destroyed the guy’s life. The only thing left is to crucify him on Dundas square for all to see. Whatever happened to suspension? warning? probation? sensitivity training? forced apology? Even in the harshest regimes in the world where they cut off your hands if you are *convicted* of stealing or they stone you or lash you to death if you are caught in certain situations where no one is hurt, they do not resort to such draconian punishment as the employer did in this case for saying something offensive. It says a lot about us Canadians. We like to think of ourselves as better than other people with our so-called values yet once in a while and with the advent of the scourge that is social media we truly show our true colours, that our ugliness knows no bounds. This is particularly apparent in Toronto where narcissism and meanness are the prevailing traits. Like narcissism and racism for example, misogyny is part of who we are as Canadians and that is unacceptable, and we need to look in the mirror and see who we truly are.

May 15, 2015 @ 5:38 PM

@Christos

His writing style emotes a personality "unwilling to bend or accomodate" on some issues. Atheism, Vaccines & modern medicine are some points where that comes out.

The comment was more about his fixation with Fearless Fred from CFNY. The response was he's sure a pro broadcaster can handle the criticism. And he can. It's not Fred bringing up this manufactured "war", it's Toronto Mike.

I countered because I lived in Edmonton & listened to The Bear. People on this blog assumed that the incoming Fred Kennedy (Fearless) was the persona he was on 100.3 The Bear. They never bothered to realize it's a burner active rock station & located in a blue collar oil city. Fred was doing his job (as do Paul Brown & Yukon Jack). Fred's persona is VERY different in 102.1 Toronto. And he even made light of the whole move initially with a video he recorded as he arrived in Toronto.

Fred is a good guy and he's got balls. During the pride parade in Edmonton years back, he stood behind them & saw no problem with it. I recall him telling stories of some people calling him and saying "he'd be looking down the wrong end of a shotgun".

And I can't recall the details, but Fearless got attacked by the RCMP in Winnipeg. I think he had tried to ask Queen Elizabeth for a date or something. He was promptly jumped by security (I think it was RCMP). Hence the name Fearless.

May 15, 2015 @ 5:55 PM

Too Much

I too was at first uncomfortable with the person losing his job. (Bear in mind that Hydro One doesn't need to have cause - they can terminate anyone they want, it's just a matter of how much they want to pay out in $ terms.) But then I came to the conclusion that if this person (I refuse to call him a man) wants to be the poster boy (on live TV, he fully knew what he was doing) for supporting misogynist comments then he can live with the consequences of such. An excellent article by Tabitha Southey in the Globe and Mail today which addresses many people's uneasiness with his losing his job and various other aspects. Here's some of her comments:

"We have always crowd-sourced justice. Now we just have better “Wanted” posters, so let’s stop wholesale shamer shaming. Shaming is in part a means of asserting our values – values like, don’t scream “fuck her right in the pussy” at people.

I won’t use the acronym for those words decorously deployed by many when writing up this story; it’s an acronym coined by the man who came up with this stunt, and every time the media coyly use it, we help that creep sell one of his lousy T-shirts.

This is news and we should spell it out the way women have to hear it and, if offends you to read those words, then imagine how someone shouting them in your face, often grabbing you or your work tools as they do so, must feel. Perhaps 10 times a day.

There will be, of course, wails about free speech from people who do not understand that the concept of free speech includes the right to say, “You’re an idiot.”

Also, I don’t care that this lame, tired stunt is occasionally done with male reporters as well. That hardly redeems it: Shouting sexually explicit things is sexual harassment.

“Surely there was some way this could have been handled without Mr. Simoes losing his job?” some have said. Likely, yes, but that wasn’t Hydro One’s call. And Hydro One is not Mr Simoes’s parent or his therapist. It’s not nanny-Hydro One, and they’re not obliged to coach or reform him or employ him, and there’s no question the man made himself, through considerable effort, not a momentary one-line lapse, a liability.

May 15, 2015 @ 7:02 PM

Irv

You said Shaming is in part a means of asserting our values

Exactly. This shaming process is called adhering to cultural norms. Sometimes it's bad. And sometimes it's good. It's the reason no one walks down the street and screams "nigger" if they see a black person. The reason males don't drag women around by the hair as their "property" is for just that reason.

Again, if you like mocking or intimidating a female just because you can..you're a douche bag. And you're a pussy.

May 15, 2015 @ 8:11 PM

andrew

This matter with the interview could have been negated if there is a 2-3 second delay on live broadcasts.

It's the stations fault even though the @sshole was wrong with statements.

May 15, 2015 @ 8:40 PM

radiogirl

Andrew - why should they not air the footage if the guy goes out of his way to act like an ass? He's a grown man and seemed to take great pleasure in shooting his mouth off. If you witness someone sexually harassing a woman will you look the other way so as not to embarass the guy? Will you chalk it up to his having had a few drinks and use that to apologize for his behavior? How about we hold people accountable for their actions and let them deal with the consequences?

May 15, 2015 @ 8:52 PM

Christos

@ Irv,

For the record, I don't like Fearless Fred either. I find him unfunny and generally tries way too hard. I was really irritated with how they replaced Barry Taylor (a genuinely funny DJ) with someone whose voice I cannot stand and whose persona on air I don't like.

That said, Fearless has obviously garnered in a steady audience and has a genuinely good chemistry with Mel. So you have to give credit for that even if you don't like the guy.

I've come to this site for a while only for the inside track Toronto Mike has with all these radio personas. I only started reading the tweet bar on the side of this site recently. This is where I've seen Toronto Mike's atheism-push. I personally cannot identify with atheism, just as I cannot subscribe to "a white bearded-man in the sky". What irritates me most is people on either side of the spectrum who claim to know the answer. None of us know. It's a scary but also beautiful concept. It makes all of us subconsciously value our lives and the time we have together.

As for modern medicine, as someone with an advanced science degree, I can tell you the more I have come to learn, the less I know. Everyone blindly jumps on the "science" train because of things like the internet and social media. As a big petrolhead myself, I appreciate some of humanity's accomplishments. But "science" is in many cases no better at explaining things than religion.

All cases (every single one) of research studies, advances, technological "leaps" forward are funded by private money or special interest groups. That nullifies any "objectivity" of science from the get go. I can tell you that in my 8 years of post-secondary science studies, the best courses I have ever taken are History of Science and Philosophy of science courses, where you gain a true understanding of how humans manipulate science to their personal gains, to validate their personal beliefs or even as the newest "religion". This is my personal view: have a healthy skepticism of everything, ESPECIALLY science.

May 15, 2015 @ 9:28 PM

bird in the bush or something

@ Christos,
Agreed that things can go two ways. There are PHDs in Immunology who are scientists who disagree with the science of vaccines. As well as nurses, also suspicious of vaccines, yet who believe in the science of medicine.
Just sayin...

@ Too Much,
Great quote by Tabitha Southey: Hydro One has other employees to consider, people who might not feel comfortable working under or beside a man who has made it clear that sexually harassing women while they work is something fun that he’s entitled to do, and if they object they are failing in their duty to feel grateful they don’t have a vibrator in their ear."

May 15, 2015 @ 11:20 PM

Mike in Hamton

Hydro One made s business decision that this guy on the payroll wasn't worth the hassle for very simple business reasons.

Imagine the next interaction he has with a female staff member, imagine the next interaction he has with a female supplier, he has with a female manager, imagine the next interaction he has at a company social event?

What he said was wrong and stupid and sexist and just plain fucking dumb, but what it did also was destroy any opportunity he might have in the future relationships within his own employer, and that's why they fired him.

I'm not a fan of the lynch mob mentality that's going on right now, but they made the right choice by i'm not a fan of the lynch mob mentality that's going on right now, but they made the correct business decision to fire him, and send a proper message to the other employees, a publicly funded organization

May 15, 2015 @ 11:25 PM

Mike in Hamilton

bad iphone typing above, my apologies...

May 15, 2015 @ 11:38 PM

Lorne

Hydro One has a code of conduct clause in their employment contract. This counts "off the job". Most government employes have these. Teachers sure as hell do.

This guy was a disrespectful, embarrassing asshole in public. He was given a "second chance". He was confronted, told his behavior was unacceptable and illegal. He continued to be abusive, harassing (go check out the full video, not just the one that aired), and unapologetic. He wore his actions with pride, with full knowledge of doing them and what their effect was.

To top that off, you have no idea how many "second chances" Hydro One might have given him in the past. Or past employers. Or past teachers and administrators and parents and so on and so forth.

As a society, we give far too many second chances to unrepentant assholes, and shit like this "prank" are the result.

He made a long series of stupid life choices, and cost himself a $100k/year job and possibly his career. He harmed society enough. Let him repay his debt by being an example for others.

And regardless of second chances or any of that-- well, again, I'll state-- the contract that he signed that gave him $100k/year? One of the conditions was that he not be a shithead in public. End of story.

(Also, welcome sockpuppet/troll account with flamebait name who has never posted here before and will never post afterwards. I hope whatever special interest group is paying you to post shit based on keywords pays well. You type way too many words to turn a profit otherwise. Please continue to be a non-contributing member of this community, and may your words be every so buzzy, and all your talking points be synergetic. Jerk.)

May 16, 2015 @ 12:03 AM

Cheryl

My Orioles lost. That game sucked. Chen pitched very well, but they losto 3 to 1 because no fricken run support. It's awful. Also my Diamondbacks lost. They can't close out games. It sucks. Well, how about those Royals. I really didn't think they would do that well, but they won 12 to 1 so that's a good win for my pool. I have the Angels in my pool as well so that's still a win even though my Orioles lost. The Nationals also won so three pool wins, but the Cardinals lost. Anyway, I don't care who wins the cup. My Habs should have still been there, but they're not. Next year Habs and Coyotes both going to the finals.

May 16, 2015 @ 8:23 AM

Anonymous

@Mrmojorisinca - I still buy CDs, DVDs and I have a few Blu-Rays. Why? I like having more than a digital file, being able to read whatever is in the package for liner notes, photos, etc. I also have an issue with only-digital format sales when something that I want is not available from a Canadian source. Come to think of it, I have that issue with non-music/video items, too, from time to time. Either way, I end up ordering the physical item from Australia, the U.K. or the U.S. I have dozens of albums and DVDs from favourite Australian artists (I "blame" having been to Oz twice and streaming radio from there). iTunes Canada often does not have what I want (part of why I simply don't bother with iTunes at all), and if you are Canadian, you cannot buy off of iTunes Australia, et al. I recognize that licensing is important, but the artist should have the ability to get a sale to any customer/fan in the world: they need to make their living. I don't mind waiting for delivery. Sometimes you find better deals than you can here, including delivery. That's why my copy of Winnipeg's Crash Test Dummies' "The Ghosts That Haunt Me" says "Made in Australia" on it.

May 16, 2015 @ 11:06 AM

Irv

@Christos: I'm a proponent of modern medicine and I believe strongly in science. As you said most science now comes with an agenda (corporate money behind it). The field of medicine is much like that. It's not about a cure anymore, it's about "living with the illness". There is no profit in the cure.

And, as someone who is advanced in "technology", I feel the same way about it. It's too often a crutch to fix things. The fix to the fix is more complex technology versus dealing directly with the root cause of the problem

@Lorne: Lots of people are required to sign such employment contracts. Most major public services types are required to do so. On some contracts I've did I sign an agreement to make no mention of what I did or who I did it for. I wasn't there. Legally, I'm not even able to mention details of what I do to my wife.

May 16, 2015 @ 12:41 PM

The Blackberry Leap

So I am required to use a Blackberry now, so I bought a unlocked Leap. The BB creates a secure ecosystem, something that is a must for me. I have experience with "hacking" smart phones & it's frightening to see what information you can gather from even a wiped phone.

The OS is interesting. There are some quirks (like all your email comes into the hub (as do all your social media messages). I can now use Android apps versus just apps for BB (there are few). And what's cool is that if you download an App the BB has automatic virus scanning. The phone is responsive but larger than what I'm used too. The keyboard is also WAY superior to anything iPhone. I can actually type again.

The real winner is the battery life. The battery really lasts the entire day. Or 2. No more pulling out a charging cable just after lunch time. I also find with the larger screen I can read Kindle books (I read 1-2 books a week).

Things I don't like so far: Sweeping up to unlock. Takes longer than iPhone. No email client. It all goes to the Hub which is weird but I suppose I'll get used to it. And it's a heavier but it's also larger.

May 16, 2015 @ 12:49 PM

James Edgar

i'm late to the TFC conversation but i'm 1000% fine with him being fired. It's only women reporters getting this shit spewed at them and it's despicable douche bagery .

If that reporter was my sister or Gf/wife or even more so my daughter i can assure you getting fired would be the least of those clowns problems.

This crap has to stop and soon .

May 16, 2015 @ 5:10 PM

argie

@Christos
Great post. Couldn't agree more.

May 17, 2015 @ 7:03 AM

Sunday Confession

Thanks for C51 all you Conservative voters. Nothing like a police state in the morning with your coffee. Oh and Shiny Pony is along for the ride. Well, the Charter of Rights and Freedoms was fun
while it lasted.

May 17, 2015 @ 7:04 AM

Frederic 'Chip' LaCroix

Speaking of science, an Interesting view of social hygiene as disease prevention: http://www.organiclifestylemagazine.com/how-plumbing-not-vaccines-eradicated-disease/

May 17, 2015 @ 7:07 AM

Cheryl

Not a good night for my pool. My Orioles lost again. It was awful. It was 1 to 0 Orioles until the seventh inning and then they gave up hits and runs galore losing 6 to 1 and my Diamondbacks lost as well. Also the Royals and Cardinals lost. The Nationals won so I got two wins because the Angels are in my pool as well, but boy I sure went through a rundown yesterday. Frank, the leader of the pool called me. Actually he left a message saying that if I get rid of the Orioles and take the Rays, I will get $20.00 regardless of whether I win or lose. I didn't want to do that. I called him up, left a voice message saying no fricken way. Then I get another message hours later saying that because I turned down the deal, I will only win $80.00 instead of $100.00 if I win. He also said I've been mouthy yesterday. He said this is my warning. If I am mouthy once more, I will be kicked out of the pool. He says he has a teenage grandson coming to visit him for the summer and he would love to be in the pool. Anyway, I probably should have been more polite about it, but I didn't want to get rid of my Orioles. Well, let's hope they can win today.

May 17, 2015 @ 8:15 AM

Cheryl

I dropped out of the pool. I called Frank. I told him I should have been a bit more polite and then I said I didn't like him making up rules as he goes along so I want to drop out. He said okay if that's what I really want. Then he said he will call his grandson so he can join before he comes, but his grandson will take the Rays, not the Orioles. Anyway, I can still follow baseball without being in that pool. I don't need that pool and I'm still going to follow my Orioles and Diamondbacks. They will get better.

May 17, 2015 @ 9:32 AM

Douglas

Whoops. May 16, 2015 / 11:06 was me.

While I'm here, I'll add that if you are at a concert and might be inclined to buy a CD or any swag from the artist, you should. At a recent concert, I was able to chat with one of the group members, who was actually working behind the swag stand. She said that what they earn from CDs and swag sold at concerts is higher than through any other channel, not just because a middleman is cut out. You like the artist (you're at their concert). Help them keep going, fund another album, etc., especially if the artist is not a "big" one.

May 17, 2015 @ 10:37 AM

Is this racist

May 17, 2015 @ 12:04 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Too funny Irv. Being a Scot, and not ever upset on how the media portrays us, I guess I don't find it racist.

May 17, 2015 @ 2:46 PM

@Rick

I best like the little alligator under his collar. You have to enlarge the picture to see it.

May 17, 2015 @ 4:17 PM

dale

I'm a proud Canadian today.

Team Canada with this team in these World Championships would win GOLD in the next Olympics.

May 17, 2015 @ 5:27 PM

Hp

Team Canada wins!! And Ovechkin doesn't win again.

May 17, 2015 @ 7:41 PM

Sid has now won a WJC, 2 Olympic Golds, a Stanley Cup and a World Championship. Awesome!

May 17, 2015 @ 7:46 PM

Cheryl

My Orioles won again finally 3 to 0. This new pitcher, Mike Wright was awesome. Great win and we need many more. My Diamondbacks lost though. That game sucked and getting swept by the Phillies sucked. Well, it's strange being out of the pool. I'm sure he would have eventually kicked me out anyway. I can always follow from the outside. Royals won again today. They beat the Yankees and that's a good thing for the Yankees to lose.

May 17, 2015 @ 8:16 PM

Douglas

@Irv - I came so close to buying that on a t-shirt last year when in northern Ohio. While working in my yard yesterday, I was wearing a Cleveland Indians t-shirt with a "vintage" logo. Neither is racist. They're part of (North) American history.

May 18, 2015 @ 11:39 AM

I wasn't checking in most of the weekend because I've been road tripping but I will respond to a couple of comments about me I missed.

With regards to Fearless Fred, I didn't manufacture anything. He went on the Humble and Fred show and talked about why he hated me. I was as surprised as anyone. The last thing I was looking for was a feud with Fearless Fred. I was just surprised someone with his schtick was coming to replace Barry Taylor and Martin Streek.

With regards to my thoughts on god, I identify as atheist but that's not to say I know there's nothing. I reasonably assert there is nothing, but you can't prove a negative. I live my life as if there is nothing and once we die, it's the same as it was before we were born. Lights out... no awareness... nothing.

As for religion, all are man-made and designed to provide simple answers to complex questions and to oppress and suppress. I believe it's all 100% bullshit.

May 18, 2015 @ 1:22 PM

Jason from Sudbury

@Mike: How'd the old Mazda do on the road trip?

May 18, 2015 @ 6:38 PM

I glow you glow

Brilliant.
A Canadian advisory panel on Wednesday approved a plan to bury nuclear waste at a site just steps away from Lake Huron, saying it had concluded the project would pose no danger to the environment.
Despite 152 communities voicing opposition to the project, the panel endorsed the Deep Geologic Repository (DGR), which would see nuclear waste buried some 2,000 feet underground near the shore of Lake Huron.

May 18, 2015 @ 6:39 PM

@Jason from Sudbury

The good people at GM Canada lent me a Buick Enclave. I'll write about it soon, but it sure made a road trip with the 5 of us easy.

May 18, 2015 @ 6:43 PM

Cheryl

Diamondbacks won a close one last night. Orioles didn't play. Those will be the only two teams I'll talk about since I am out of the pool now. I'm officially out of it. The leader came to my door last night and said I had to pay him $20.00. Of course, I didn't want to, but I also didn't want to fight about it because he would fight. I paid him and then he had his grandson as well wanting me to meet him. I did meet him. I didn't like him. For one thing he stunk like bad BO. Well, then he told me that Tyler is doing so well in school that his parents sent him early as a treat. Then he said if I want to keep track, he has all my teams now except he has the Rays and nobody has the Orioles. I don't care. I'm out anyway and my Orioles are going to turn it around and win. You'll see.

May 19, 2015 @ 7:55 AM

RETRO

Ingraham, a popular conservative radio host, said: “You can’t still think that going into Iraq, now, as a sane human being, was the right thing to do. If you do, there has to be something wrong with you.”
Other presidential aspirants had no problem answering the Iraq question.
“Of course not,” Cruz, the conservative favourite from Texas, told CNN.
“I mean, the entire predicate for the war against Iraq was the intelligence that showed they had weapons of mass destruction and that there was a real risk they might use them ...
“We now know that intelligence was false.”

MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF PEOPLE AROUND THE WORLD KNEW 'THEN' IT WAS FALSE YOU JACKALS AND IDIOTS.

May 19, 2015 @ 12:13 PM

ministry of ed. info

Here's one issue regarding teachers. McGuinty's full day kindergarten plan puts up to 30 kids in classrooms (many in newer buildings aren't big rooms like in the old schools). Right now the classroom has two teachers (or one teacher and an asst.). The Ontario Ministry plan is to pull out one of those adults (the 2nd 'teacher') for up to 90 minutes a day and reassign them in the school.
How can one teacher safely care for 30 or 30+ Kdgtn children?

That's almost 1/3rd of the day. The teachers are right on this one.

May 19, 2015 @ 4:05 PM

Jason from Sudbury

Anyone know where I can download Winamp since you can no longer get it from the website? Using my laptop while my desktop gets fixed, don't care much for Media Player. Beats ITunes though but still, I prefer Winamp and yes I know, laugh all you want, it's all good lol.

May 19, 2015 @ 11:49 PM

It's a City not a Pit Stop

Fascinating thoughts re 'Quality of Life' concerning 'We Can't Afford That' arguments.
Using urban planning as a weapon, Mayor Sergio Fajardo has built 5 library parks, 20 schools, and 124 high-rise buildings, giving a new face to a city once ravaged by violence, drugs and corruption.

Read more: http://www.theplaidzebra.com/how-medellin-used-urban-planning-as-a-weapon-to-fight-violent-cartels-and-won/#ixzz3afnehKuQ

May 20, 2015 @ 6:27 AM

Argie

@ministry of ed. info
The kindergarten class at my daughter's school has 15 kids. One teacher and 1 teaching assistant. Most days the teacher has a parent helping out as well.

That doesn't seem so tough does it? Do you want to know why its tough to get a teaching job - its a damn good job to have (too many candidates).

May 20, 2015 @ 8:51 AM

Irv

That's not a surprising ratio Argie. The typical daycare ratio is 5:1 for kids that age (set provincially) so why would it be any different in a school? And the kids aren't just playing, they're expected to learn.

If you think it's so lucrative, why don't you go do it? I work in a very high stress career and I certainly wouldn't want to have to look after 5 kids myself. Aside from parents who sue at the drop of a cork, you've got kids fueled up on shitty food, ADHD and a variety of other modern "problems" with kids behaviour. No thanks. I'd sooner have people threaten to kill me.

May 20, 2015 @ 9:28 AM

Cheryl

Happy days are here again. I am sort of back in the pool. I mean that one of the other guys in the pool called me and said he heard what happened and said it is unfortunate, but he made me a deal that we would hav our own pool, just the two of us. I said I would like that, as long as I can take the teams I had in the original. e said I could and he said that he heard all my teams won last night. AAnyway, I have the Orioles, Rroyals, Angels, Nationals, Caardinals and Diamondbaks and they all won last night. He has te Jays, Inddians, MMMariners, Braves, eds, an Dodgers. That's wonderful.

May 20, 2015 @ 10:27 AM

Ben V

@ Argie: Add to what Irv wrote. Would you also want to deal with kids that are still not properly toilet trained. A constant bubble of germs and influenza. Children who fight and kick you, yet you aren't allowed to touch them in anyway. Constant craft and day planning in the evening, to ensure you can entertain and engage 15 kids all day. I could go on, but the most important part is the ADHD situation. I know everyone is technically ADHD in today's world, but some kids do need help. They are clinically diagnosed, because their cases are so extreme, yet parents won't do anything about it. Imagine you get one or two kids like that in a class. Have you ever seen or dealt with one kid with severe ADHD? Like Irv said I'd rather have people threaten to kill me than deal with that.

May 20, 2015 @ 11:11 AM

Anonymous

Argie lucks out with 15 to 1 so nobody else has a large class size. typical navel gazing self-interest narcissicm.

May 20, 2015 @ 12:26 PM

Argie

@Ben & Irv
This is not about what you or I would do for a living, its that many graduating students would jump at the chance to do this. Again, we all know there's long list of people wanting to be teachers - thus, it can't be that bad of a job.

If we ever see a shortage of applicants (it would never happen, BTW) then we can say teachers need to be more compensated. Come on Irv, you know all about supply and demand - and everything else apparently.

May 20, 2015 @ 1:08 PM

Argie

BTW, I wrote here some time ago Babcock would sign with the Leafs. It just might happen today.

May 20, 2015 @ 1:10 PM

Frederic 'Chip' LaCroix

found this comment on an (admittedly) NDP-leaning site.

There is a minority of conservative voters who are very determined to stand up for freedom and privacy rights in Canada; some of them are also pro science and I think the NDP needs to continue to target these voters that re-electing Harper or Trudeau will be dangerous for Canada.

May 20, 2015 @ 9:59 PM

Grandma's Walker in the Snow

Considering the almost 200 million dollar profit Canada Post cleared last year this sounds reasonable.
NDP would end phase-out of door-to-door mail delivery
The federal New Democrats say if elected they will terminate Canada Post’s phase-out plan and restore service to those households that have already lost their home mail delivery.

May 21, 2015 @ 1:13 PM

Cheryl

Okay. Posting for two days as I didn't get on earlier. My Orioles lost last night, but won today. There was a long rain delay today. Anyway, Orioles won 5 to 4. Also two wins by my Diamondbacks yesterday and today. Yesterday I had all wins in my pool except the Orioles as the Royals, Angels, Nationals Cardinals and Diamondbacks all won. Today I got wins from the Orioles and Diamondbacks and a loss for the Cardinals. I think I am going to win this pool hands down. That's good.

May 21, 2015 @ 6:36 PM

Cheryl

Okay. I have more teams in my pool. I talked to Jack and told him I changed my mind. Now in the AL east I have the Orioles and Rays and he has the Jays and Yankees. AL central I have the Royals and Tigers. He has the Indians and Whitesox. AL west I have the Angels and Astros and he has the Mariners and Rangers. NL east I have the Nationals and Mets and he has the Braves and Phillies. NL central I have the Cardinals and Pirates and he has the Red and Cubs. NL west I have the Diamondbacks and Giants and he has the Dodgers and Padres. Well, the Mets beating the Cardinals is no loss now since I have the mets so that's still a win.

May 21, 2015 @ 7:32 PM

Anonymous

Broadcasters to go ahead with traditional TV debates with or without Harper

May 21, 2015 @ 10:55 PM