Midges by Lake Ontario in Toronto

The midges along the lake in Toronto are in full effect. They come out every spring for a few weeks and although they look like mosquitoes, they don't bite. They're completely harmless.

Last May, the midges in my neck of the woods were worse than ever. They appeared in larger numbers and stuck around until mid-June. I was biking in a balaclava in 20° because I grew tired of ingesting a pound of midge meat during waterfront rides. This year, the midges are far more tolerable.

But they're out there, annoying the mess out of walkers, jobbers joggers and cyclists. Just be glad they're not mosquitoes.

How are the midges where you are?

GUNTer

I live in your hood I believe (royal York/lakeshore area) im preparing for them to get worse. while my side door isn't covered in them YET, the dog park at sam smith was intolerable yesterday and today. swarms of them just hovering at my head level - in my eyes, ears, nose - yuk.
midge meat - hahahahah

May 3, 2015 @ 6:54 PM

@GUNTer

And if you leave a window or door open too long, they're suddenly covering your ceiling.

May 3, 2015 @ 6:56 PM

Anonymous

By Humber Bay these flies are swarming like crazy! They're in my nose, my hair, my mouth, my ear. I didn't know they're called midges!

May 3, 2015 @ 7:08 PM

Irv

No idea about them, but I was in Waterton Parks yesterday & was flicking off ticks frequently.

May 3, 2015 @ 7:47 PM

Anthony

I live downtown by the don trail where we haven't really had many, but I went for a bike ride out to the port union waterfront park and there were hundreds of swarms. I used to live out there and it's the worst I've ever seen it.

May 3, 2015 @ 8:20 PM

So far, it's nothing like we had last year, but there are still a whole lot of 'em!

May 3, 2015 @ 8:25 PM

Broni

I ran the 10k on Saturday that's part of the Mississauga Marathon events, and right at Port Credit, a few annoying midges flew into mouth.

May 3, 2015 @ 9:24 PM

markosaar

I hit a few swarms of them at Humber Bay on Saturday morning, but nothing further east, all the way down the Spit even.

May 4, 2015 @ 2:30 AM

Douglas

The midges don't seem to be quite as bad this April-May as they were last year, but that's not saying much. Mike you only have to open a window just a crack for a few seconds and they come in by the dozens-hundreds. Long enough to just get to the barbecue, which is one two steps down from the sliding screen door off the kitchen, and I have to get the vacuum out to get the buggers off the ceiling. Don't do that just right and you get brown squish lines on the white ceiling paint. And of course, some of them are small enough to get through the screens (and yes, they're in good condition). Ugh.

Apart from the midges, I am very glad that I live close to the lake. The Waterfront Trail is sometimes a lifeline to get away - in many ways. A few minutes' walk and it can be like I've left even the suburbs, let alone the city.

May 4, 2015 @ 11:35 AM

Alvin

I laughed at the type-o on the post. Annoying the jobbers. Iron Mike Sharpe is annoyed! (I think he would be considered a jobber since I don't think he ever won.)

May 4, 2015 @ 1:58 PM

Pat

Lakeshore/Royal York Road area May 17th and there are still millions of them...when are they going to go away...it's driving me crazy!!!

May 17, 2015 @ 12:28 AM

Brenda

Port Union waterfront. My Mom lives there and it is HORRIBLE now for one month or so! No one can leave the door open or go outside at all!! Dogs are indoors with quick visits outside it is so bad and today it is May 26/2015!!! WORSE than 2014 and already here for one month with no sign of getting better!!! These things are like a PLAGUE!!! Wall to wall bugs!!! Absolutely horrible.

May 26, 2015 @ 1:40 PM

Giannina Valencia

Would you please advice of any product that we can use outdoors to keep the midges away
Giannina