Street Cents and Me

If you listened to my interview with Jonathan Torrens, you know I was a big fan of the Saturday morning CBC show Street Cents. It was appointment viewing for me.

Jonathan Torrens Leaving my Place

I was way older than their targeted demo, but I loved it. There was nothing else like it on television. It was, dare I say, an intelligent show for teens, and unabashedly Canadian. I was pretty ticked when they cancelled it in 2006.

But do you know what's not fit for the pit? This oral history of Street Cents by Vice. It's a fun read if you're a fan of the show.

And Benita Ha, if you're reading, you're welcome on Toronto Mike'd anytime.

Sarah

Thanks for sharing this, Mike. I was on Street Cents back in 2003 or 2004 talking about a cellphone issue I had with Fido. It was a dream come true!

The cameraman drove up to Kincardine in shitty weather, and we filmed it at my dad's coffee shop. It took four hours to film me reading the short letter I had sent them. Man I wish I still had that VHS tape.

February 5, 2015 @ 7:02 AM

519 Rob

Mike, you and I are roughly the same age, so I was also a bit too old for the show. But same as you, I loved it. It was 'smart' TV. It wasn't dumbed down for kids - they just used kid-talk.

But you need to help me out with something...what is the connection between this story, and that photo of someone on the street?
Is that Jono?

February 5, 2015 @ 8:32 AM

@519 Rob

That is indeed Jonathan Torrens, as I sent him in the cold to hail a cab.

I tried very hard to get him to stay inside where it was warm until the cab showed up, but he insisted he wait for it outside.

February 5, 2015 @ 8:38 AM

Liz

A strangely haunting yet compelling photo.

February 5, 2015 @ 4:21 PM

@Liz

And the only one I took because I keep forgetting to get pics with guests.

February 5, 2015 @ 4:31 PM

CQ

I was a fan Mary Bellows' CBC show; I guess I was way younger than its targeted demo.

February 5, 2015 @ 4:37 PM

Tom

CBC seems to be getting rid of all the good programs & keeping all the poor one, host included.

How can u explain Amanda Lang? Anything she says cant be trusted anymore. Who knows what else goes on behind the scenes?

CBC is just playing pussycat too Harper. They are in fear of losing all that TAXPAYER funding.

CBC = an irrelevant & biased station. TVO is 100x better.

February 7, 2015 @ 2:12 PM