Daniel Winnik Traded to Pittsburgh

When the Leafs traded Cody Franson and Mike Santorelli to the Nashville Predators, I felt the first flame had been sparked in operation Scorched Earth. Since then, I've readjusted my expectations. I no longer believe the Leafs will be able to trade anyone beyond the expiring contracts.

Daniel Winnik signed a one-year deal with the Leafs last summer, and he was definitely going to be dealt to a playoff-bound team. That happened today when he was sent to Pittsburgh for forward Zach Sill, their second round pick in 2016 and fourth round pick in 2015.

Now, the hard part begins. The trade deadline is Monday and so far Operation Scorched Earth is really more lit tinder.

h

So far, the Leafs have traded 3 guys who showed passion and determination. When do the guys who have just coasted and shown next to nothing get traded? The bad seeds are still here. Seems odd to me.

February 25, 2015 @ 4:46 PM

Those guys are tough to trade.. at least for something of value.

So far, we've traded the guys who are easy to deal.

February 25, 2015 @ 4:52 PM

Dawn Keibals

Every second Tuesday I put a large grey bin at the edge of my driveway. Never ever has anyone offered me anything in return.
MLSE, welcome to the real world.

February 25, 2015 @ 4:57 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike
Out of curiosity, who do you want to see gone from this team, in other words by training camp whom do you wish to see gone?

@Dawn
Very funny lol.

February 25, 2015 @ 5:07 PM

Eekan Boo

A multi year, guaranteed contract is a good way to turn a keener into a coaster. And those contracts are hard to deal away.

February 25, 2015 @ 5:26 PM

dale

Too bad the Leafs have traded 3 players who have a heart & care for the team.I understand Franson being a UFA & other 2 becoming RFA's. Get something when you can.

The big contracts - Kessel, Lupol & Pylon Dman may be hard to trade for = value, but gotta be done before next season.

Next year the team will be Brutal in 2015-16. Leafs F'd up again Same old,same old & yet ACC will be at capacity next year for every game.

WHY

February 25, 2015 @ 8:05 PM

@Speysidephil

I think we need to blow up the core. I'd be fine with trading any or all of Kessel, Phaneuf, Lupul, or Bozak.

There's only a handful of players I'd like to keep: Nylander, Rielly, Gardiner, JVR, Kadri... and I'd trade those last three in the right deal.

February 25, 2015 @ 8:32 PM

Eekan Boo

So, Mike, I don't see Clarkson on your trade list. Wait 'till Elvis hears about this!

February 25, 2015 @ 8:39 PM

@Eekan Boo

Because I don't think that contract is tradable.

February 25, 2015 @ 8:40 PM

Speysidephil

@Mike
Re: Eekan boo

The question was who would you like to see moved, not whether or not they are tradeable because of a contract.
Clarkson should be the first to go and I trust you agree with that?

February 25, 2015 @ 9:20 PM

If we want to put on our fantasy glasses, let's trade David Clarkson. Getting out from under that contract would be a big fan positive for the Leafs. Of course, it's also impossible.

February 25, 2015 @ 9:21 PM

Dawn Keibals

The harsh reality is MLSE could not give away the present contracts of Clarkson,Kessel & Phaneuf to another NHL team and receive absolutely nothing in return.
They would have to take back other teams "mistakes" just to get rid of their "mistakes" . In the overall picture in no way does it improve the team.

February 26, 2015 @ 1:39 AM

mrmojorisinca

say what you want about Kessel and Dion..
but there is a market for them both, just not right now. will the leafs have to chew some of the contract possible but not a for gone conclusion. I agree with Mike Clarkson might be the only one who is untradable because "he got a shit contract" I think both will be gone in come the draft. and clarkson might be a by out..only three I would keep are Rielly and JVR and Bernier

February 26, 2015 @ 8:44 AM

Eekan Boo

I say "Bill Caudill" Clarkson's remaining contract and trade Kessel & Phaneuf for draft picks. To rebuild, start from the ground up with draftees and farm prospects. Scorch the earth!!

February 26, 2015 @ 9:27 AM

Jenkins

Anyone who views Kessel as a "mistake", or thinks that there isn't a market for a player like him, simply has no idea what they're talking about. If the Leafs were to trade him, they shouldn't have to retain any salary whatsoever. For a player of his caliber, his contract is more than reasonable.

February 26, 2015 @ 9:44 AM

mrmojorisinca

It easy to be GM when its all fantasy :)

February 26, 2015 @ 9:50 AM

Jason from Sudbury

I was really hoping the Habs would pick up Winnik, but in the end I guess the Leafs wanted that 2nd rounder which the Habs weren't willing to give.

February 26, 2015 @ 10:29 AM

Brian

I'm having some doubts about a "scorched earth" full rebuild. Reason is that 2017 marks the team's 100th anniversary and they plan big festivities. You have to think they want to at least be somewhat competitive for that, especially if they want the NHL to award them the Winter Classic and All-Star Game.

February 26, 2015 @ 10:49 AM

Have you guys seen Zack Sill mic'd?

February 26, 2015 @ 11:23 AM

mrmojorisinca

Now Dion going to break his hand again fighting his own team mate

watching the HBO specials is something else..how much they trash talk and curse on the ice..

February 26, 2015 @ 11:49 AM

The Leafs just acquired defenceman T.J. Brennan from Chicago in exchange for forward Spencer Abbott.

February 26, 2015 @ 4:36 PM