What is This Gym You Speak Of?

What is This Gym You Speak Of?Lots of people go to the gym. I'll bet many of you have a gym membership and go regularly. I have never been to the gym. Not even once.

Feel free to insert your jokes about my tiny muscles here. It's true, I don't lift. I probably should, but if I start weight lifting, it'll likely be something I do at home. Because I know myself, and I know I'm not a gym guy.

I exercise daily, for at least 45 minutes, and I live an active life. If I can walk somewhere, I'll walk. If I can bike somewhere, I'll bike. I'm always playing catch with the kids or soccer in the backyard. I think I'm in pretty good shape, but it's all gym-free.

Do you have a gym membership? Do you use it regularly?

The_Voice

No gym membership. I could be more active, but I play soccer at least once a week at a pretty high activity level (for myself at least), and use the stairs and not the elevator whenever possible, etc, etc.

October 16, 2014 @ 10:04 AM

TheSweaterTuck

I'll bet I'm very similar in that I'd rather exercise outside biking, running, or some sort of sport, but I do have a gym membership and go at least once a week for weights. My doctor said everyone should be getting some sort of resistance exercise so I alternate doing the upper and lower body parts of the weight machine circuit. I really don't consider myself a gym person either and really hate gym culture and some of the people you'll find there, but it's necessary for me, especially when it's too snowy to run or bike.

I'll never understand those who are on a treadmill on a beautiful day, though.

October 16, 2014 @ 10:20 AM

IainJ

I have a gym membership and go to the gym about 4 to 5 times a week. If it's a nice day outside I prefer to go for a bike ride, play pick up soccer, or go for a hike though.

I completely understand why people don't get memberships. Besides the cost, there are a lot of annoying things about most gyms.
When I'm there I just generally tune out the muscled up d-bags, overly loud top 40 music and just do what I need to do to get a good workout in though.

Great podcast with Mad Dog this week by the way, Mike. I listened to that over the course of my first two workouts. Beats Ariana Grande.

October 16, 2014 @ 10:30 AM

Ben Vidal

I don't like biking. I run outside with my dogs. I've had a gym membership most of my adult life. I don't go and sit there and do chest press' and arm curls to go hang out at a beach.

I like the gym because I put on a hoodie, put my ear phones in and just get my stuff done. I've mingled in aspects of crossfit, resistance training and free weights into my work outs. I'm not a lazy guy by nature, but going to the gym forces me to do the work out at that moment and i use every minute wisely while I'm there. I also find it a good way to decompress from the day in lieu of people who have to reach for a beer or something else when they get home. If I'm not physically exhausted by the time I go to bed, chances are I won't sleep well so that's another reason.

In the summer I also play a shit load of outdoor coed sports, soccer, ultimate Frisbee, softball and flag football. My gym routine also slightly changes in that I go first thing in the morning vs. after work for most of June, July and August.

October 16, 2014 @ 10:31 AM

Philly-Bob

I'm with you on this one Mike. I work out at home. I go for a jog with my son on his bike or scooter. I have weights at home that I use. And I plank at random points throughout the day.

I've gone the gym route in the past, but with my current lifestyle (single Dad 24/7) going to the gym just isn't feasible, or in my budget.

October 16, 2014 @ 10:43 AM

Wayner

Yes, I do and I go on a regular basis. Membership was obtained via discount from my employer.

I've been going to a gym on and off for 20+ years and have never had any major issues. I have weights at home that I use to supplement my weekly workouts. But I do prefer the gym as I find I’m more disciplined outside the home.

If you’re new to the gym I would suggest that you try to avoid the peak hours (e.g. immediately after work). That way you can avoid the “muscle heads” and the "gym culture”.

October 16, 2014 @ 11:07 AM

4x4 Time

Yes, I have one and use it everyday in the morning when I am in town, and usually on Sunday mornings. I do cardio and light weights and find it very convenient as the Gym is less than 5 minutes from my office and home.

October 16, 2014 @ 12:25 PM

Irv

I had a trainer once that told me you can get fit and strong in a 10'x10' area with minimal equipment. I workout twice a day doing cardio in the morning & weights in early evening. I used to do hot yoga in the evening but it was just too much. I would like to study Krav Maga (Israeli military martial arts).

The gym is good in that you get a ton of free weights & that it motivates you. Otherwise, I'm not a fan. I much prefer an early morning run.

@SweaterTuck. For some the treadmill is simply more safe than outdoors.

October 16, 2014 @ 1:57 PM

Rick C in Oakville

I use to have a membership, but travelling killed getting into any routine. I now watch my diet and do a lot of walking and cycling (not to your level) but enough to feel invigorated.

October 16, 2014 @ 5:35 PM

Cheryl

Yes, I have a gym downstairs in my building. My personal trainer comes twice a week and we do all kinds of exercises with the bike, weights, treadmill, rowing machine. If it's nice out, we play tennis, football, or baseball. My trainer motivates me. It's hard to work out without him.

October 16, 2014 @ 6:08 PM

Broni

I don't currently have a gym membership, but I have in the past. Now I've got a bench and some weights and I'll do some moderate strength training while watching a baseball or hockey game on the TV in my basement.

A great benefit of even mild to moderate strength training is that you'll become a better cyclist/runner because of it. Stronger arms/chest etc lead to better form when doing other exercise, and fewer injuries.

October 16, 2014 @ 6:36 PM

Irv

It's tough to be motivated, so I use a visual of Argie. Every time I want to stop/put down the weights he starts mocking me and calling me "lefty".

October 16, 2014 @ 8:53 PM

Mike from Lowville

@ Irv................rotflmfao

October 16, 2014 @ 10:42 PM

Blind Dave

I use a walking trail and outdoor exercise machines in the warmer months. It's right across the street from where I work so that is my lunch break. No excuses to not get out there!

In the winter months when the trail is unnavigable I go to my local college gym as I have an alumni membership for a ridiculously low price of $50 per year. It has treadmills, bikes, and the various weight machines. I am no beef either but I do light lifting to balance the cardio workout.

Both options give what I want and I have developed a routine for each that does not bore me or make me dread going.

I don't have enough vision to outdoor bike safely, and though I tried jogging last summer, I really wasn't overly inspired to do it this year. I enjoy a fast walk much more.

October 16, 2014 @ 11:25 PM

519 Rob

I've had a gym membership for a little better than a year now.
It forces me to get my lazy ass out and do something. It isn't cheap, but I think I've gotten value for my buck. I've also lost weight, and feel a bit better about myself when I look in the mirror.

I'll echo many of the comments from above. I get to the gym, listen to music, and run, bike or do a little weights.
The gym is close to the U of Guelph, so its often a strange mix of students, city folk, and muscle heads.
I have a good laugh at some of the muscle heads though.
Every time they do a lift...'UGH'...'GRUNT'...'UHHHH'.

October 17, 2014 @ 8:28 AM

Argie

@Irv
I've never called you a lefty. You're just a paranoid libertarian.

October 17, 2014 @ 8:43 AM

Mat Rockswell

I go to the gym for heavy lifting. Cardio is something I would prefer to do outside of the gym. One day, I will have the space to justify getting a power rack of my own, but for now, the gym is where I go. Besides, I kind of enjoy the ritual.

October 17, 2014 @ 9:22 AM

Irv

Argie, you used to call me lefty!!!. But calling me paranoid is like calling a street cop "paranoid" about crime.

Feds always talking about how to improve the health of society, maybe they should make the gym free for people (public buildings). And offer child care for single parents.

Perfect gym music.

October 17, 2014 @ 10:49 AM

Jillian

Yes- I go to the gym 6-7 times/week. It's a part of my day that I make time for and I always feel I've missed something if I don't go . I'm almost ashamed to say I've belonged to the same gym since 1996..(once Sports Clubs of Canada, now Goodlife).

I would never work out on my own and would quickly become a fat fuck (to steal a term from Freddy P) if it wasn't for my gym. Personal trainers are ok for some but I find them unnecessarily expensive.

October 18, 2014 @ 9:02 PM