Cycling: September 2014 vs. September 2013

Cycling: September 2014 vs. September 2013I measure all my bike rides with MapMyRide, so I'm challenging myself from a year ago. Here are the results from September 2014 and September 2013.

September 2014: 560.75 km

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.06.35 PM

September 2013: 242.61 km

Screen Shot 2014-09-30 at 9.07.08 PM

No doubt about it, I biked a great deal more in this September than I did last September. For one thing, my daily ride used to be about 12 km and is now about 19 km. I'm also using my bike for transportation more, whether it's a meeting in Liberty Village or the Beaches.

If I can take the bike, I will always take the bike.

Speysidephil

Just keep an eye out for those inconsiderate drivers and passengers.

October 1, 2014 @ 10:42 AM

Douglas

I know that I did a lot more cycling in September this year. It is now fall, but I've given myself the bug to be on the road on my two wheels a lot more next year. Thanks for the tips, suggesting MapMyRide, etc., Mike.

October 2, 2014 @ 11:03 AM

James Edgar

"If I can take the bike, I will always take the bike." I like that .
I used to say " If I can't ride there I don't want to go" Ride meaning my motorcycle. And for about 6 years during riding season that's exactly what I did.

Not so much now I can't ride anywhere we want to take my stepdaughter of course.

October 2, 2014 @ 11:07 AM

@James Edger

I've extended the "if I can take the bike, I will always take the bike" to my two oldest kids. Even going back and forth from my place and their mom's place we've been biking all summer.

Of course, when I'm commuting with kid #3, it's car time!

October 2, 2014 @ 11:09 AM

Douglas

@Mike - to your last line above:
Until you get a trailer. How long until you do that?

October 2, 2014 @ 12:33 PM

@Douglas

I might get one... but he's got to figure out how to sit up on his own first!

October 2, 2014 @ 1:42 PM

Broni

@ Douglas
I have gotten years of use out of our bike trailer. I seem to remember using it starting at about 18 months to make sure my daughters' neck could support a helmet.
We could fit both kids and a couple of bags of groceries back there. It's a must-buy!
I still use the trailer to cart stuff home when I ride my bike to Costco.
I used to bike the kids to school then continue on a solo ride, pulling the trailer sans-kids. If I hit a bump with an empty trailer, it would flip up on one wheel. The shocked looks on people nearby was priceless.

October 2, 2014 @ 1:45 PM