If It Ain't Broke

In grade 5, I wrote a speech about dreams. My teacher awarded me a spot delivering this speech in front of the entire school. That competition, however, was weeks away.

During that gap, I started tweaking my presentation. One day, out of the blue, my teacher asked me to deliver this speech. He then heard the new version.

I remember him hustling over to his copy of the Toronto Sun and showing me a quote from then Leafs head coach John Brophy. The quote was "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Whenever I hear this phrase now, I think of John Brophy. This morning, in the shower, it struck me...

Brophy's Leafs were shit. Everything was broken. Everything needed to be fixed. What the hell was he talking about???

mrmojorisinca

I think he was actually trying to tell people to stop coming to the games otherwise nothing will ever change

June 19, 2014 @ 11:30 AM

Justin

This actually applies to today's Leafs. The management is so insane that they think the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies to Carlyle's job status.

June 19, 2014 @ 1:01 PM

Rob

I live by the opposite model, everything can be improved upon no matter how successful.

The aint broke/don't fix it attitude leads to complacency.

June 19, 2014 @ 2:40 PM

CQ

After the Blue Jays WON the 1992 World Series, they changed their lineup: 13 new players out of a team of 25. They thus WON again during the following season of 1993.
Sometimes a person needs to change the cookbook. (That's a Thursday blogging topic reference, btw.)

June 19, 2014 @ 7:47 PM

out west

#houndline
#glorydays

June 19, 2014 @ 9:26 PM

Blind Dave

I recall a media scrum in Brophy's office where he was sitting at his desk, head down, voice defeated, saying he didn't know what to do anymore.

There was nothing left to fix.

June 19, 2014 @ 9:56 PM

AR

There were male elementary school teachers back in your time? Fascinating.

June 26, 2014 @ 12:04 AM

@AR

I actually had a male teacher in grade 4, 5, 6 and 7.

June 26, 2014 @ 9:09 AM

markosaar

While my home class teachers were mostly female, there were plenty of male teachers around teaching math, music, gym, shop & art.

June 26, 2014 @ 9:47 AM

@markosaar

We weren't structured like that in primary school. That was how high school was run, but in primary school we just had a teacher for every grade and the French teacher was wheeled in periodically to be mistreated.

June 26, 2014 @ 10:01 AM