Bad Medicine: Bon Jovi to Get Banner in ACC

Bad Medicine: Bon Jovi to Get Banner in ACCMLSE is going to honour Bon Jovi with a permanent banner inside the ACC. Until now, the only banners you'd find hanging from the rafters honour sports teams and players who have called the venue home. Stanley Cup banners, retired and honoured players and the like.

These teams and players represented the city of Toronto in sport. Adding a banner for a popular band lessens these accomplishments. Bands perform shows, like a circus or ice capades, and Bon Jovi has no ties to this city except for the fact they sell a lot of tickets here.

And that's where the optics get fuzzy. Is Bon Jovi being honoured for making MLSE a lot of money? And as Pension Plan Puppets points out, what's President and CEO Tim Leiweke's role in all of this? He was previously CEO of the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), which represented Bon Jovi in the past. Is Tim Leiweke helping to promote a former client here?

As Mr. Horse would say on Ren and Stimpy, no sir... I don't like it. And I'd feel the same way if it was The Tragically Hip being honoured instead of Bon Jovi.

Argie

It is a rather strange gesture by MLSE. Then again apparently BJ has sold out 17 times at the ACC - which only proves there's no accounting for taste.

October 24, 2013 @ 9:29 AM

@Argie

Chicks dig Bon Jovi... at least the >35 crowd does.

October 24, 2013 @ 9:30 AM

Argie

@Mike
Yeah, chicks with bad taste.

October 24, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

Blind Dave

@Argie

Bad taste?????

My wife loves Bon Jovi and she also loves me.

Oh wait, you may have a point there. Never mind...

October 24, 2013 @ 9:37 AM

Argie

@Blind Dave
I understand. My wife used to like Bon Jovi but then I slapped her around and now..... she don't like them no more.

October 24, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

Ben Vidal

@ ARgie: Chicks dig Bon Jovi at the over 35 realm because I think he signals a better time in their life, before the divorces, before the boob jobs, before the lypo and before the botox. Or perhaps when he sings half way there it has a double meaning in terms of where they are on cosmetic improvements.

There is also the belief that they are just envious of his hair.

October 24, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

@Argie

Am I allowed to generalize here? Why not, it's my blog...

50% of my high school was of Italian descent. The females of Italian descent all LOVED Bon Jovi. My first girlfriend was of Italian descent, and Bon Jovi was her favourite band (and Madonna was her favourite singer).

Those same gals from high school are buying Bon Jovi tickets in droves today. I doubt Bon Jovi would sell out if we made a rule that women of Italian descent were not allowed to buy.

In other news, Germans love David Hasselhoff.

October 24, 2013 @ 9:41 AM

Argie

@mike
Who doesn't love David Hasselhoff?

October 24, 2013 @ 9:47 AM

Wayner

Agree 100%...and its bon jovi for pete's sake!!!

October 24, 2013 @ 9:55 AM

Speysidephil

Re: Bob Jovi
I do not like one single record, song etc. by Bon Jovi.
Never could figure out the attraction, but the above posts tells me a lot.

October 24, 2013 @ 10:01 AM

Corey

What a farce. From what I understand, other notable performers will be similarly honoured in the future. For what? When we honour the teams that call these arenas homes, it's to recognize the amazing athletic feats,teamwork and physical sacrifice that got them to championships. What exactly are we recognizing when we honour a music act?

October 24, 2013 @ 11:20 AM

@Corey

Next thing you know they'll honour Tie Domi and hoist #28 to the rafters.

October 24, 2013 @ 12:00 PM

Corey

@ Mike -

Don't even joke. I was embarrassed with the over-the-top ceremony the Leafs put on for Domi's 1000 game. There are enough meat-heads in Woodbridge that will probably support a banner raising.

October 24, 2013 @ 12:32 PM

Ben Vidal

@ Toronto Mike: At the very least it should be Canadian acts honored if they are going to go through with this. If they are going for women over 35 who like bad music, a Nickelback banner would have sufficed.

October 24, 2013 @ 12:38 PM

Irv

I would prefer a Motorhead banner.

October 24, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

Argie

Domi was Tannenbaum's pet Leaf. It was all his doing.

October 24, 2013 @ 1:10 PM

Gump

Domi represents everything that is wrong with the state of hockey today. I'll never forgive him for what he did to Scott Niedermayer in 2001 and I'm a big Leafs fan.
I only wish he played today and would be suspended.

October 24, 2013 @ 2:12 PM

Justin

Domi's a Leafs legend. I'd rather his banner go up there than Bon Jovi, who did nothing but visit the building 17 times.

October 24, 2013 @ 2:19 PM

From many moons ago...

October 24, 2013 @ 2:22 PM

Gary

This makes ZERO sense. I can't even find a shred of anything that would justify this action.

Mike, your comment seems to make the most sense....."what's President and CEO Tim Leiweke's role in all of this? He was previously CEO of the Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG), which represented Bon Jovi in the past. Is Tim Leiweke helping to promote a former client here?"

I am not impressed with Leiwike's tenure so far.

October 24, 2013 @ 2:45 PM

elvis

The banner is a stupid idea but you've all been drinking some bad medicine.

FUCKING JOHN BONGIOVI ROCKS!

October 24, 2013 @ 2:45 PM

@elvis

Says the guy who loves KISS.

October 24, 2013 @ 2:51 PM

Argie

"There are enough meat-heads in Woodbridge that will probably support a banner raising"

@Elvis
Are you from Woodbridge?

October 24, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

Corey

@ Argie - ha ha - I was talking about Domi fans, but come to think about it, it probably applies Bon Jovi fans more.

October 24, 2013 @ 3:50 PM

Argie

@Corey
And KISS fans too.

October 24, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

Gump

It's true! The intersection of Bon Jovi fans and Tie Domi fans is ~98%.

October 24, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

Quick!

We need a venn diagram!

October 24, 2013 @ 3:57 PM

4x4 Time

Who/What is a Bon Jovi?

October 24, 2013 @ 4:48 PM

Glen

I have a hard time getting upset about this when it's called the "AIR CANADA CENTRE" not the "Dougy Gilmour Arena".

Sports venues are there to make money. MLSE is honouring success. No matter what you think of Bon JOvi, they sell tickets. Period.

October 24, 2013 @ 5:29 PM

elvis

I'm not from Woodbridge but you're an asshole.

October 24, 2013 @ 6:57 PM

Corey

@Glen -

Jeez, if the only criteria is to be a successful act that sells tickets, the rafters are gonna be mighty crowded.

October 24, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

Argie

Brilliant response, Elvis.

October 25, 2013 @ 8:14 AM

mrmojorisinca

I'll be the token "Italian Decent" that puts his two cents in..

a) Bon Jovi shouldn't be getting any sort of Banner..if a there is a band to get a banner it should only be a Band from Toronto or the very least Canada ( The Hip and Rush, Neil Young come to mind here) doesn't matter how many time they play the venue

b)As a guy (even of italian Decent) I probably don't fit his demographic, as I don't really enjoy bubble gum rock (C_ock Rock as some may call it)

c)what does Woodbridge have to do with BJ? or the ACC? if your going based on what the ethnic group in woodbridge was in the 80 and 90 well you should pay a visit as things change.

D) Keep on rocking in the free world :)

October 25, 2013 @ 8:55 AM

Roshan

I find it odd but since the ACC also hosts a lot of non-sports events, rock concerts being one of them, I guess it makes some sense to appreciate & honour a band that sell out the stadium each time they perform.

October 27, 2013 @ 11:17 PM

James

What a LOAD!! MLSE wants to remove all of the pass Leafs teams pictures and yet they rise a banner for a rock band???? I think its time to send Tim Leiweke packing!!

November 4, 2013 @ 12:20 AM