Andrew Brode: Gone Far Too Soon

Andrew Brode: Gone Far Too SoonWhen Andrew Brode was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia two months after his 30th Birthday, I followed his battle on his blog. I worked with Andrew's father Uwe for years. Uwe's a great guy, the kind of guy who would drop everything to help you out, and his son was cut from the same cloth.

In February of 2012, I invited Andrew to write a guest blog entry about OneMatch.ca. At the time, Andrew was in remission. Here's what he wrote:

My name is Andrew Brode, and I was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia 2 months after my 30th Birthday, in June of 2011. What a roller coaster ride of emotions it's been, too. Within 2 weeks of finding out that I had a 60% chance of survival, I was getting some of the strongest chemotherapy treatments currently used. I was in hospital for a month (induction), followed by 2 separate rounds of chemo as an outpatient (consolidation). Thankfully, by November I was one of the lucky few who went into remission.

What I didn't know going in, is that common protocol for leukemia patients (along with many other types of cancer and other diseases) is a bone marrow transplant. This is where they take the bone marrow of a healthy person, and via a procedure similar to a blood transfusion, they inject those healthy cells into your body. This basically means the recipient (me) is getting a new immune system. The procedure has it's risks, but often it will completely CURE the recipient of his/her cancer.

Now, onto the not so good news. Currently, there are 18 million people worldwide (and counting) on the national bone marrow registry. I don't have 1 single perfect match, which I may require at some point in the future. If I receive a perfect match, my Doctor suggests that I go through with the procedure, but, because I don't, that isn't an option right now.

The Canadian Registry can be found at www.onematch.ca, and the registration/donation process is completely simplified compared to what the common perception is of this type of donation. Essentially, to get onto the registry you Register on the website, and they'll in return send you a swab kit. You take the kit they send you, swab your cheeks, and mail it back. That's it. Once you've been added to the system, if you ever get called, the donation process is as simple as donating blood. The days of getting drilled into your hip and put out for surgery are long over.

The Canadian Registry has just over 300,000 people on it, compared to a national population of 25+ million. There are more than 10 times the amount of Facebook users in Canada as there are on the National Registry.

Please visit www.onematch.ca today, and make a difference. You can be the one match that saves someone's life.

I'm sitting in a rented flat in Rome right now where I just received an email from Uwe that Andrew passed away earlier today due to multiple lung infections caused by his weakened immune system following his stem cell transplant. Andrew was only 32-years old. It's truly heartbreaking....

andrew brode

dale

RIP Andrew as my thoughts and prayers are with you & you family during this difficult time.

May God Bless

October 14, 2013 @ 3:25 PM

Charron

Rest well, Andrew.

October 14, 2013 @ 4:39 PM

Rick C in Oakville

Far too young. Very courageous of him to guest write about it on your blog Mike.

October 14, 2013 @ 8:16 PM

Sara Triolo

Andrew, you have been my rock, strength and courage from the moment you walked into my room at Princess Margaret Hospital (only 4 months after your diagnosis) giving me so much reassurance that I will get through this. Your positive attitude throughout this battle always amazed me. I don't know how you did it. I will continue to fight this disease as I promised you. Thank you for giving me the courage and strength to see the positive when I was feeling scared. You will forever be in my thoughts. You will be missed. RIP Andrew!!

October 14, 2013 @ 8:38 PM

Rob Hisey

Miss u buddy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

October 15, 2013 @ 6:26 AM

James Edgar

RIP Andrew. My Condolences go out to Andrews family and friends. I lost my brother to cancer almost two years ago . Every time her of another loss I just want to be sick.

October 15, 2013 @ 8:46 AM

Anita Nickerson

My condolences to your family Andrew -- you were a great guy to work with at PlateSpin!!! Miss you :(

Anita

October 15, 2013 @ 12:17 PM

Cadman

I used to work with Uwe and Andrew, this is very sad news. Andrew was a very positive person with a great outlook on life. RIP my friend.

October 15, 2013 @ 9:31 PM

Krish

Truly heartbreaking...RIP Andrew, your family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers

October 16, 2013 @ 12:49 PM

elvis

Fuck cancer.

October 16, 2013 @ 12:58 PM

Brode, Andrew
After a courageous battle in his 33 year, passed away on Monday, October 14, 2013, at the Mt. Sinai Hospital, Toronto. Andrew beloved husband of Samantha. Loving son of Oksana and Uwe. Dearest nephew of Irena and Carl and Lutz and Michale. Lovingly missed by his grandmother Christine Komar. Missed by his sister-in-law Polly. He will be greatly missed by Samantha’s parents Christine and Peter and by his step parents Bruce and Janet. Andrew will also be missed by all his cousins and his many friends. There will be a visitation at St. John’s Dixie Chapel, 737 Dundas S. E., Mississauga (near Cawthra Road) from 10 – 11 a.m. on Monday, October 21, 2013. A Celebration of Life Service will begin at 11 o’clock. Followed by a reception in the hall. Private interment. If desired, donations to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada or The Princess Margaret Hospital Foundation.

Funeral Details

Visitation
St. John's Dixie Cemetery
737 Dundas Street East, Mississauga, ON, CANADA, L4Y 2B5
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 10:00 AM

Celebration of Life
St. John's Dixie Cemetery
737 Dundas Street East, Mississauga, ON, CANADA, L4Y 2B5
Mon, 21 Oct 2013 11:00 AM

October 16, 2013 @ 1:43 PM

Maria

I worked for many years with Andrew's Mom and followed his blog since she told me about his cancer. I am greatly saddened to hear his courageous fight has come to this end. RIP Andrew. Your family and friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

October 16, 2013 @ 1:45 PM

Matt

As someone for whom this hits close to home - your condolences would be appreciated by a victim, but they would appreciate you signing up at OneMatch.ca as well. Stop what you're doing now and just put your address in so you can be sent a swab kit. It'll take five minutes.

October 16, 2013 @ 6:33 PM

Rob Gibson

I worked with Andrew's father Uwe for many years - great guy. Andrew worked summers in my group. I'm so shocked and deeply saddened to hear of Andrew's passing. He was a good, straightforward kid when I knew him - with his whole life ahead of him. Such a tragic loss for the family. Warmest thoughts to Uwe and his family.

October 24, 2013 @ 9:17 AM