I Miss My Boy

I Miss My BoyIt's been almost two weeks since I drove my son to overnight camp in Huntsville. I miss him terribly.

I can handle not seeing him for two weeks, although that's tough in its own right, it's not hearing from him at all that's has me missing my boy.

Handsome James

While at camp, they can't phone or email or contact home, unless it's an emergency. So while no news is good news, absence makes the heart grow fonder and I can't wait to give him the biggest hug of his life tomorrow.

Rick C in Oakville

Both my kids went to Camp Wanakita in Haliburton and they had the same rules. You can understand how it helps the kids get settled without the helicopter parents possibly giving them a reason to feel home sick. When my son was 15 he went for the out trip experience for 1 month, no contact. It was far harder on us than him. He left as a pudgy teenager, and came back a lean mature adult. He still tells us it was the best experience so far of his life.
He is probably having the time of his life right now.

July 13, 2013 @ 4:34 PM

Andrew

We just picked up my son from Muskoka Woods this morning. The first he said was 'you were right. I want to go for two weeks next year!'

I'm starting to save now.
Cheers!

Andrew

July 13, 2013 @ 6:36 PM

Tim

Hang in there Dad. He'll be home soon.

July 14, 2013 @ 11:36 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - I totally get it. I'm missing my boy by Saturday afternoon when he goes to his Mom's for the weekend.

Oh, and that pic of him in the tux from your wedding totally pulls at the heartstrings....I can imagine mine looking that smart in a tux one day...

July 15, 2013 @ 2:02 PM

@Mississauga Phil

They grow up super fast. My boy is hardly a boy anymore. I spent the day with him yesterday and he's got the deepest voice!

July 15, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

Jacob

Which camp did he go to? I went to Camp Wabanaki each summer for several years when I was a kid. Great times.

July 15, 2013 @ 4:33 PM

Jacob

@Toronto Mike

Ah, enemy territory. They weren't real campers, they had hot showers. :)

July 15, 2013 @ 7:03 PM

Corey

I don't have kids, so I'm surprised to learn that there are enough parents left willing to go two weeks incommunicado, and that there are camps without wifi. Refreshing.

July 15, 2013 @ 7:11 PM

Mississauga Phil

@ Corey - We're a dying breed. "Helicopter Parents" are all over the place now. They follow their kids around with a bottle of purel and don't let them be kids anymore....

July 16, 2013 @ 8:09 AM

Mississauga Phil

@ Mike - I know, my son will be 6 in Sept and it amazes me the things the says and picks up on. I can't imagine how old I'm going to feel when his voice starts to change.

July 16, 2013 @ 8:10 AM

I saw some helicopter parents on Saturday. That was never my style.

July 16, 2013 @ 9:06 AM